| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Meal Planning
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:46 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Does anyone know of a resource out there for vegan meal planning? I'm really looking for an actual person (or a really, really smart algorithm I guess) who would take my parameters (I want X calories, Y grams of protein, Z servings of veg minimum, I hate mushrooms and bananas, whatever) and design several days/weeks of meals for me so I can spend less time thinking about what to cook. I've seen actual dieticians before, but they never seem to know anything about either veganism or actual cooking, and the online vegan versions of this I've seen seem to be weight loss oriented and very, very low calorie (as well as extremely bland). Obviously I'm willing to pay for this.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Meal Planning
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:14 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Well, I immediately thought of Matt Ruscigno - http://truelovehealth.com/consult/ - no idea how pricey he is, but since he contributed to AFR we know he's at least aware of not-bland food!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:11 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

You might play around with Eat This Much. You can set it to vegan. Specify macronutrient ranges. You can't set a certain number of vegetables, but you can set a fiber goal, which should get you to the same thing. You can exclude foods you don't like.

http://www.eatthismuch.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:43 am 
Huffs Nooch

I've just had a look at Eat This Much out of curiosity. Selecting a vegan diet doesn't exclude eggs, you have to exclude those separately. I generated 4 days worth of meal plans and lunch & dinner for each day included tofu. Some of the recipes look a bit odd too - I looked at one for Garbanzo Bean soup, which specified 3 ⅞ cups (or 1.02kg) of white beans, one small can of tomatoes and no other liquid. You then add 1 cup of pasta and cook until tender!

Not sure I have the patience to play around with it enough to get meal plans that would suit me, but might be worth a look if you do.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:45 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i could use something like this too. everything i've seen so far either has no tolerance for veganism or requires things i can't get here. will go investigate eat this much too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:41 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

dropscone wrote:
Well, I immediately thought of Matt Ruscigno - http://truelovehealth.com/consult/ - no idea how pricey he is, but since he contributed to AFR we know he's at least aware of not-bland food!

I used Matt's dietician services earlier this year. I saw him when I was training for an ultra marathon, so my concerns were focused on that and we didn't get into meal planning, but I will say that Matt is extremely approachable and very helpful. Ariann, I would suggest reaching out to Matt (I just emailed him) to see if the kind of meal planning is something he is able to help with.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:35 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Thanks! I wound up connecting with a vegan dietician on FB who recently started a new "ask a vegan dietician" FB group. He's coming up with a week's work of plans for me - I'll share his info if they're any good :) If they're not any good, will definitely reach out to Matt next. Will also look at Eat This Much.