| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tell me about getting your wisdom teeth out
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:12 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I've been avoiding it for ten years, and now it's time. There's just never a convenient time for me to take several days off from life. So how bad is the recovery, really? I only have 3 if that makes a difference. And how traumatic is it to do without being knocked out? I'm not comfortable with being unconscious, plus it's cheaper to just do local.

Post subject: Re: Tell me about getting your wisdom teeth out
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:20 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i was knocked out. i have a small jaw, so i think they might have intentionally cut the corners of my mouth? :-(

i also ate corn on the cob before my skin flaps healed. do not do that. please do not do that. i don't know how long the germ part was stuck in the flap, but it only came out after it putrefied, and i still have a divot there. (i still remember the taste, and the smell. so bad!)

if you can handle a liquid diet, i would do that. just don't use a straw. the suction would be bad.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:33 am 
Naked Under Apron

All four of mine were impacted, so I had them all out and was put under for it. The recovery wasn't too bad for me! The one piece of advice I have is ICE. I was really diligent with that- ice pack on one side of my face for twenty minutes (or whatever it was), then switch to the other side. (eta: And back and forth pretty much for the rest of the day.) I had no swelling.

They should give you something to kind of squirt water back there and flush out any food after you eat. The only complication I had was I was getting headaches for a while, but they eventually went away. I took off work on a Friday and was back to work Monday.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:13 am 
Dead by dawn

Amy wrote:
All four of mine were impacted, so I had them all out and was put under for it. The recovery wasn't too bad for me! The one piece of advice I have is ICE. I was really diligent with that- ice pack on one side of my face for twenty minutes (or whatever it was), then switch to the other side. (eta: And back and forth pretty much for the rest of the day.) I had no swelling.

My experience exactly. I opted for local anesthetic plus sedation so that I'd 'sleep' through it and wouldn't have to hear them breaking, etc... But the recovery wasn't bad AT ALL. I made a double ice pack that I could tie on out of a pair of tights and used it whenever I wasn't eating for the first afternoon. No swelling, was ready to go out and run errands the next day, and needed only Advil for pain management. I ate smoothies (no berries with seeds!) and brothy soup with soggy crackers for a few days, diligently cleaned out my incision sites with the water syringe and it was all pretty uneventful.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:09 pm 
Chard Martyr

I was knocked out but no complications overall. I took my own stitches out because I couldn't be bothered to follow up with the surgeon (not that I recommend it, but it's just what happened).
Ice. Soup. Didn't have too much of an appetite for a while.
Uneventful.

edit: none of mine were impacted

Last edited by Meggs on Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:13 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I had all 4 of mine extracted in October, and I was awake. Fortunately none of them were impacted, so there wasn't a lot of swelling or pain afterwards. I took three days off work but could have gone back after a day. Only ibuprofen for pain.

Being awake for the extraction really sucked though, and I do not recommend it. They gave me half a valium and a sedative to take before the procedure, and they maybe made me a little tired, but not enough to even make them worth taking. The nitrous oxide helped, but I was totally aware of everything as it happened, and when the dentist broke out the saw to cut my bottom two teeth into pieces (after trying REALLY hard to pull them out whole), it was more than a little freaky. I wasn't able to be knocked out due to insurance and scheduling issues, but if I could do it all over again, I would be completely out.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:57 pm 

man, i wish the water syringe was an option when i had mine done. (i'm assuming you had yours done more recently than 1996 or so? or maybe i just had some unthorough docs.)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:05 pm 
Saggy Butt

this thread is concerning me - so did anyone have any noticeable symptoms with problem wisdom teeth? i only ask because my dentist's office is incompetent and in 20 years of seeing them, have never managed to xray my molars properly/hygenists refused to clean the teeth my permanent retainers are glued to (12 teeth). right now, i can't really afford to pay $200 bucks for more of the same.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:27 pm 

I had cavities in two of mine, and it didn't make sense to pay for fillings when they needed to come out anyway. The dentist was concerned that they were too crammed into my jaw and there wasn't adequate space to really clean back there. Which explains why I had cavities.

I was told by my orthodontist probably 15+ years ago that they needed to come out. So, I kind of put it off for a long time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:31 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I imagine mine will require the maximum amount of sawing/drilling to remove considering they've been fully grown in for over 15 years. I'm trying to convince myself that after birthing a baby without pain medication, I can handle being awake for this. I imagine the worst part of the whole sawing thing is more about being freaked out than in pain, though? I've never had any particular fear of the dentist but no one likes a saw coming at their face. Ugh, this is going to suck. But thanks for the stories of easy recoveries!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:03 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

It really depends on if they're impacted, and if so, how severely. Mine were some of the worst my dentist had ever seen. All 4 were practically perpendicular to my other teeth. It took me about 2 or 3 weeks to be close to normal.

Alex just had his out. His were fully grown in, and while it wasn't pleasant he was on a flight to Texas the next day and eating most soft foods. He was fully recovered in about a week. He was wide awake during the extraction, with just pain killer injected in his gums. He reports that it didn't hurt but he could hear the roots ripping, which was gross. No sawing or drilling.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:14 pm 
Dead by dawn

supercarrot wrote:
man, i wish the water syringe was an option when i had mine done. (i'm assuming you had yours done more recently than 1996 or so? or maybe i just had some unthorough docs.)

Nope, '93 or '94.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:34 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I had all 4 of mine taken out in college. I went to a military academy and they pretty much pulled everyone's. I was out for it and the surgery was seamless. However, I got dry socket in all 4 holes. It hurt a great deal, but they packed them with medicated gauze and then it was all good. I still can feel divots where those teeth were. I was 100% fine within 10 days and I pretty much ate normal except instead of chewing I kind of just gently sucked my food soft . That sounds gross, but I ate in a dining hall and my options were already very limited as a vegan.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:33 pm 

I only had two wisdom teeth come in, but they were impacted quite badly and came in on a severe angle. Particularly odd since the rest of my teeth are naturally pretty straight. But whatever.

So I went on in and they gave me an IV to be put under. I stressed out, refused to close my eyes, asked the dentist to let me go throw up. I started yelling that I was going to throw up. He told me to breathe deep and count. I got to like, 3, and was out.

When I woke up Mr Moon and a nurse led me to a recovery room. I was adamant that I could walk by myself and made them let me walk alone. I failed miserably and walked straight on in to the wall. Then I guess I laid down.

So we left and I was flying so high and having a grand time. We stopped at a pharmacy to get my meds, I sat in the car while Mr Moon went in to get them (Tylenol 3 and some funky antiseptic mouthwash). I cranked up the music in the car super loud as we had a huge sound system and subwoofer, and had a super high dance party. He was pretty shocked when he came out!

So we get to my apartment, I took my painkillers, and shortly after began to vomit violently and cry my eyes out while he tried to be supportive but couldn't handle the puking.

When that was done I was still pretty high and insisted we watch Spirited Away because it seems like a good idea when you're on meds. I promptly fell asleep in his lap and he was forced to watch a movie he had no interest in and the remote was on the other side of the room. He didn't want to wake me up.

When I woke up I was feeling considerably better and I did all the things you're not supposed to do like use a straw and eat Popsicles and stuff.

The next day I took only Advil and we went shopping at IKEA and had lunch. I was tender and my face was swollen but I could have worked, easily.

Everything healed perfectly and a few weeks later when I went for my checkup, I ended up in the waiting room with the girl who had hers done right after me. She said she had heard all my yelling and it scared the shiitake out of her.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:33 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I got mine done at the dental college and I wasn't put under! Mine were impacted and had to be cut out and were partially under the gums and all rotted. I was awake, and I drove myself home afterwards. Okay, the latter part was stupid and truthfully I only made it halfway then had to call T. to come and drive me the rest of the way home.

The recovery was pretty bad. I felt like I had been run over by a truck; no kidding. I don't remember a few days after the procedure. I drank a lot of protein shakes for several weeks after and it took me about a month to be able to open my mouth fully again.

Point is...I did it all awake, by myself, and you can do it, too!

Last edited by paprikapapaya on Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:34 pm 

monkeytoes wrote:
supercarrot wrote:

Nope, '93 or '94.

*shakes fist* i'm pretty sure i was done by a budget doc. (he was in a slightly crime-y area.) that syringe would have probably gotten that corn out at least a few days earlier than it did.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:36 pm 
Saggy Butt

supercarrot wrote:

I had mine out in 2004-ish, during a break from school. The oral surgeon didn't give me the water syringe at first--I only got it after I was in so much pain a couple of days later that my mom had to call the office's calling service and have the surgeon come see me on Christmas day (sorry dude!). I was in pain because little bits of food were getting stuck back there, since they didn't give me the syringe to clean it out thoroughly.

I wouldn't have been able to go to work the next day, but that's because I couldn't really function on the pain medication. There was actually an ice storm a day or so before my surgery. My parents' house had lost power, so we were staying at my brother's house. At some point after the surgery, my parents' power came back on and they moved me back to their house, but I was in such a fog from the pain medicine that I have no memory of switching houses.

I was put to sleep for the surgery. I also have a small mouth and a bad gag reflex, so there wasn't much of a choice for me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:56 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

postnothing wrote:
this thread is concerning me - so did anyone have any noticeable symptoms with problem wisdom teeth? i only ask because my dentist's office is incompetent and in 20 years of seeing them, have never managed to xray my molars properly/hygenists refused to clean the teeth my permanent retainers are glued to (12 teeth). right now, i can't really afford to pay $200 bucks for more of the same.

When my wisdom teeth started coming in (age 21), they came in on funky weird angles (one was poking out into my cheek) and really hurt. I had to get them out somewhat urgently during college finals week and graduation. I got dry sockets while I was on a trip with my partner, an hour away from the nearest dentist. All in all I wished I would have gotten them out at an earlier age before they started bothering me, over a summer or some convenient time.

My husband's wisdom teeth came in without issue and the only potential problem would be cleaning them. He doesn't have cavities in them, though, so he's kept them. So, I guess it's kind of a gamble. I have crowded teeth, though, so it wouldn't have been that much of a stretch to predict that my wisdom teeth weren't going to come in nicely.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:01 pm 

mooo wrote:
I imagine mine will require the maximum amount of sawing/drilling to remove considering they've been fully grown in for over 15 years. I'm trying to convince myself that after birthing a baby without pain medication, I can handle being awake for this. I imagine the worst part of the whole sawing thing is more about being freaked out than in pain, though? I've never had any particular fear of the dentist but no one likes a saw coming at their face. Ugh, this is going to suck. But thanks for the stories of easy recoveries!

Yeah, for me it was just traumatic as it was happening. I didn't need to be aware of what was happening. Of course you don't feel any pain while it's happening because they numb the shiitake out of your mouth, but you do feel pressure as they yank. The pain was minimal afterwards and I didn't even take any of my codeine.

Not being able to eat normally is the part that really sucks. I ate my first salad two weeks post-extraction and it was the best salad I've ever eaten in my life! The syringe does help a lot, but I didn't want to risk anything getting stuck in there at all. For the first week they told me not to use it anyway because it could have dislodged the blood clots.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:04 pm 
Dead by dawn

postnothing wrote:

I have a really small jaw and there just wasn't room for them to grow in, hence they were all partially impacted by bone. The symptoms I had were that, periodically, one of them would try to erupt and I could feel it exerting pressure on my other teeth like it was trying to crowd them to make room for itself. I'd had a dentist tell me ~15 that I should have them out before I was 18 because there wasn't room for them and they'd start causing problems eventually, but our insurance was spotty during those years. The trying to come in and putting pressure on my other teeth started ~19 or 20, so that first dentist was right on. I finally had them out when I was 23 or 24. The bonus was that my molars had always been too close together to floss but when my wisdom teeth were gone, they 'relaxed' just a bit. New dental hygienists always comment on how tight my teeth are, but at least you can get floss between them now!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:03 pm 
Saggy Butt

oh dang, my molars are too tight to floss. or, i can but i really have to reef on the floss. i have no pain anywhere, but i really haven't a clue if sideways wisdom teeth are lurking in my jaw or not. fingers crossed for a job with insurance soon!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:57 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Experiences vary widely and I know people who were back to normal the next day. But for me, it was a week of miserable pain, lukewarm broccoli soup, and purple chipmunk cheeks. Being diligent about icepacks and using the water syringe seemed to help. Definitely stick with liquids until you feel up for chewing, but don't skimp on nutrition - make smoothies using seedless fruit (I used mango) and green veggies, with tofu or nut butter for protein. I couldn't handle solid foods until almost a week after the surgery - even mashed potatoes and muffins, which I stocked up on thinking they would be perfect! But for those first few days I had to stick with smoothies and soup and spoonfuls of hummus.

On the bright side, I was awake for the procedure and it was not all that bad. If you're not too squeamish I recommend it. Also it only took about 10 minutes! (I had the bottom 2 teeth removed.)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:05 pm 
Nailed to the V

I had four removed when I was eighteen. . . I don't think they were impacted, because I remember it being much like when I had four "normal" molars removed for a "small jaw." I was put under and everything went smooth. . .Had to drink lots of smoothies with a spoon for about a week, and never developed dry socket.

Weird thing with my wisdom teeth, though: they removed FIVE. The surgeon showed me the teeth after removing them and pointed out a smaller one, that was apparently hanging out behind my upper left wisdom tooth. Cool beans?

Weirder still, its buddy decided to come in on the right when I hit my twenties. It's almost all the way in now and causing me serious pain whenever it grows, but I can't afford to have it removed. Who the fork has six wisdom teeth? I swear I'm not at all wise.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:08 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I just had a local and I swear I felt stuff. Not like full on pain but some pain and I remember them having to give me more of the local cause of it and my biggest thing was that it took like two weeks for the numbness to fully leave that side of my mouth. Not that it impacted my speech or day to day but I could tell and for awhile worried that it was going to be forever. Recovery wasn't bad at all, I ended up going back to work on day 3. I did end up getting a dry socket, but whatevs. That pain was the most annoying out of the whole thing.

Edited to add: all four of mine were impacted and I also waited forever to have it done.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:17 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

And in case no one tells you - you'll be really thirsty as soon as you're done, but like...don't even try to drink water. You can't. You'll spill it all over your shirt, change shirts, and then spill it all over that shirt and you'll spend the rest of the day worried about your own mental capabilities.