| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 585 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: new WW plan coming out soon
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:12 pm 
Huffs Nooch

This new plan is awesome. I have such a healthy relationship with food these days and this plan fits perfect with helping me to keep things balanced and wonderful. It's also very encouraging as far as exercise go. I've been steadily losing except when I gained a bit back last week when traveling and not planning for it. A nice learning experience and always feels great to be on track. I feel so much healthier and so much more amazing when eating right and being all sorts of healthy and these few guidelines really help to keep me in that feeling.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:33 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

joyfulgirl wrote:
I got a response from WW on the question of the recipe builder counting points for fruits and veggies.

A WW customer service associate wrote:
Thank you for contacting us with your inquiry regarding Points Plus™ values in recipes. Most vegetables and all fruits are zero points but they still have calories. As part of this program we "deemed" them to be zero points. If you fed their nutritional information into a Points Plus™ calculator, it would often come up with Points Plus™ values. We did this "deeming" because we want you to eat fruits and vegetables.

However it has always been our policy at Weight Watchers to incorporate the nutrients of vegetables (and now fruit) into recipes and the Recipe Builder. Why? A few reasons:

1) Our recipes are often featured in articles and magazines nationally and as a result we need to disclose this info to ensure the appropriate calories and nutrient content are displayed if evaluated by organizations outside of Weight Watchers. We use the Recipe Builder to calculate our recipes.

2) Since many non-Weight Watchers recipes include nutritional information these days, we want our calculations to match those you may do for recipes you find in other places. We don’t want to unfairly advantage our own recipes. And we don't want your recipes to look out of whack either.

3) Once you start combining vegetables and fruits with other foods, you change the experience of eating them. Few people go crazy on plain carrots but might on carrot cake. To ignore them in recipes would place our member at risk for abuse potential. There is an adjustment made in the Daily Target for eating fruits and vegetables with a Points Plus™ value of 0. This adjustment was based on eating the foods in their “natural and singular” state which did not include use in recipes.

While we establish all these rules and algorithms for our program and our site, with weight loss there is always something a little "squishy." Sometimes you need to make the best call on how you're going to interpret the rules. And no computer program can do that for you.

It makes sense. So on overall healthy things where the vegetables are still vegetabley (like salads and stir fries) I'll leave the veggies out of the calculation.

Thanks, that does help.

I started the plan in earnest this week. It isn't as bad as I thought. I plugged in my food for the week and still had lots of points left over for extras! I guess it is because I'm a nursing mom I get more. So I just pigged out on hummus and oat bran pretzels with my extra points, cuz hey, gotta get nutrients for my baby! haha Hopefully I'll still lose weight.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:27 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Aubade wrote:

I started the plan in earnest this week. It isn't as bad as I thought. I plugged in my food for the week and still had lots of points left over for extras! I guess it is because I'm a nursing mom I get more. So I just pigged out on hummus and oat bran pretzels with my extra points, cuz hey, gotta get nutrients for my baby! haha Hopefully I'll still lose weight.

At the end of the day I often find myself with between 3-8 points left, and that's after eating a lot of points for dinner. Pretty neat, but I do worry that I won't lose weight if I'm not eating all my daily points.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:39 pm 
Saggy Butt

I think as long as you're coming close it should be fine... I mean, as you lose weights, you get less points (much like if you lose weight by restricting calories, you're recommended daily intake would go down, too). I'm just going off of the 29 points and that's seriously enough for me... I couldn't imagine doing the 31 or 32 I'm supposed to do.

BTW, why the crepe is it so expensive to attend meetings? I mean... $50-ish a month? Yikes! Is it really worth it or is the support just as good through the $17/month online access?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:07 pm 
Saggy Butt

I'm not actually STARTING starting yet... I'm mostly playing with my breakfast and lunch options to see what to have in the morning & bring to work that won't leave me in the drive-through of the Taco Bell on the corner where I exit for the apartment. :-p

This morning I had a whole wheat english muffin w/ 2 tbsp peanut butter and that actually held me off a lot better than oatmeal... but instant oatmeal on the new plan is still only 3-4 points for a packet so that's still a realistic 2nd breakfast if I get too hungry... I seriously think a cup of grapes or an apple with my muffin would REALLY hold me well! I bought pre-sliced apples & weigh out 4 oz (for a small apple) for my snack. My lunch sandwich for tomorrow:

2 slices 100% Whole Wheat Bread
1 slice American Soy-Cheese Slices (Tofutti)
1 slice Extra Firm Tofu (I pressed it, marinated it in 3 tbsp Vegan worcestershire (0 pts), cut into 5 slices & put it on the George Foreman on medium for 10-15 minutes)
1 serving Reduced Fat Vegenaise
Lettuce & tomato!

Points+ Total = 8!!!

I figure if I have 1 small serving of fruit with eat meal, it'd be okay... I think that was more of the intent of the free fruits and veggies anyway, right? So, even if you are doing only the MINIMUM allowable of 29 points, and you had my english muffin breakfast (with free fruit), that leaves FOURTEEN whole points for supper (almost twice the size of your other meals).

How do the vegan yogurts add up? The WW yogurts (which are so good, but I've got to phase that out for the going vegan) are 2 pts on the new system...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:02 am 
Married to the wolfman

Oy. I've had a bad two weeks or so. The first week, I was really depressed and only ended up tracking maybe half of what I ate and none of the exercise I did. Then this past week, I had a stomach flu, so not only have I not been tracking, I've been eating whatever I could manage to not vomit back up.

I feel totally out of the swing of things now and while I haven't regained anything, I know that if I keep just eating whatever, it's basically just a matter of time. I'm not sure how to get myself back on track though. I guess this is one of the things going to an in-person meeting would be good for.

On the yogurt subject: flavored soy yogurt is 4 pts for a single serving container. That's really not bad if it's forming the basis of your meal. I like to eat that plus a small serving of granola stirred right in. Add a piece of fruit on the side, and that's a pretty good low point breakfast!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:02 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

For breakfast, I like scrambled tofu. I make it with no oil and tons of veggies (usually broccoli, zucchini, mushrooms, carrots, spinach, and tomatoes), using Isa's spice blend from VWAV. A block of tofu used to get me 2 or 3 servings. Now I make half a block and it gets me at least 4 servings and it comes out to so few points that way. It's like 1 or 2 points per serving. I usually have it with an engish muffin. so yummy.
Scruffleupagus wrote:
BTW, why the crepe is it so expensive to attend meetings? I mean... $50-ish a month? Yikes! Is it really worth it or is the support just as good through the $17/month online access?

I think it depends on the person. For me, it's worth it. I never do it on my own. It's nice to have people to share your struggles with. The people in my group are amazing. It's a bunch of people who are in or have been in the same boat. They keep me motivated.

Coldandsleepy, I know how hard it is to get back on track. What has worked for me was cooking really good low-point things. I got my favorite veggies and made a bunch of recipes from AFR so I never really had to think about what to eat. I was always full.
Another good thing that helped me was setting a challenge for myself. "I'm going to eat only power foods for at least 2 days this week" or "Try two new recipes this week" or "I'll make something with a vegetable or grain I've never tried today"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:54 pm 
Saggy Butt

See, I've heard this term a lot too... What are "power foods"?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:11 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Scruffleupagus wrote:
See, I've heard this term a lot too... What are "power foods"?

Pretty much foods that are especially awesome for you. If you use the online program you'll see little green triangles next to the power foods and there is a list as well. I can't remember if you were doing online or in the center, but there should be lists. Things like quinoa, fruits, veggies, whole grains, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:51 pm 
Saggy Butt

Oh! I've seen the green triangles on some recipes on the website. I'm not a member in any shape. So, basically, Power Foods are foods that are "low GI" (which is a GI of 55 or less). So you might be able to expand your power food options by checking out a glycemic index list. It makes sense, really. A LOT of successful diets utilize the GI. :)

What's your favorite zero point food? In my journey, I found a website called LaaLoosh.com that's really nice. It goes off of the old point system, but still good if you consider you can always use the recipe builder on the webiste (or fatsecret.com's recipe builder) to figure out the new points... AND she not only has a vegan section, but also has a zero point link. From what I can tell, they should all still be zero points. :-) I might try to make the veggie soup and put some in the freezer in single serving size containers (as suggested in the recipe).

I'm getting REALLY excited to start this next week! Maybe I will also have my Kinect by then and can start using that for working out too. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:52 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I'm pretty simple as far as my favorite zero points foods. I'm all about broccoli and clementines right now. I eat a really healthy diet on average, but sugar is not my friend, so though I mainly eat veggies, fruits, whole grains, nuts, etc., with the occasional sweet treat, I needed the plan to help me with portion control and it is doing so brilliantly.

I'm finally back in the downswing and heading in the right direction since my trip out of town. Feeling awesome. I tried my first spin class on Friday and fell in love, so I know how I'm going to be getting a good chunk of my exercise now. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:12 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I didn't even realize there were 29 minimum points. I get a whopping 43! I guess because I'm a nursing mom...and I do find myself extra super hungry because of it. But 43 is still a ton of points! I am trying to fill them up only with healthy foods, but it really seems like a lot. I'll be surprised if I still lose weight. I don't know if I have quite yet because I just got a new digital scale - my old cheapie mechanical one was off, and fridays are my weigh in day so I'll see then.

Today for lunch I'm having:

grilled cheeze sandwich with 1 tsp earth balance, 6 tbsp colby uncheese, and 2 slices 9 grain baker's brand bread. Then nearly 1 cup of moroccan carrot salad, and 1/2 cup of lentil cucumber salad. That whole lunch is still only 13 points.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:43 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I'm bummed because I'm up .4 this week. I know it's not a lot and it's probably even just water weight, but I'm going to Portland this weekend and I'm not even going to bother with WW, so I'm bound to gain even more. I think my problem is that I only ate like 5 of my weekly points but I exercised a lot. New goal is to eat at least 1/2 my extra points every week. It just seems like SO much sometimes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:53 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I think this new system seems like way too much food. I'm not losing like I normally would, either. But trying to remain patient.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:05 pm 
Saggy Butt

I'm also using fatsecret to track my daily intake... So not only am I factoring points, I'm also being aware of my calories (to a point)... Because, when it comes down to it, that's what matters... It ALWAYS comes down to calories for weight loss... However, WW does seem to help me make healthier choices so coming in "under budget" calorie-wise is pretty easy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:12 pm 
Saggy Butt

Oh! I've got a question. I know all fruits are free, but does anyone have a list of the free veggies? I'm going to bet it's probably the same as the Skinny Chicks "Free Foods". She has a list from alfalfa spouts to zucchini that you can have (up to 1 cup raw or 1/2 cup cooked) between meals or along side of your meals. Also a list of condiments, beverages, and herbs/spices.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:43 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Scruffleupagus wrote:
Oh! I've got a question. I know all fruits are free, but does anyone have a list of the free veggies? I'm going to bet it's probably the same as the Skinny Chicks "Free Foods". She has a list from alfalfa spouts to zucchini that you can have (up to 1 cup raw or 1/2 cup cooked) between meals or along side of your meals. Also a list of condiments, beverages, and herbs/spices.

I believe it's all vegetables except starchy ones, like potatoes, corn and peas.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:36 am 
Saggy Butt

Found these zero calorie (and 0 Point) dressings at Sprouts: http://www.waldenfarms.com/products/dressings.html

I doubt I'll ever try ranch or any "creamy" dressings, but the Zesty Italian is pretty good! And I CAN recognize all of the ingredients. :) It's got a little bit of a spicy kick to it I enjoy as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:19 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Well, I followed the plan perfectly last week but did not lose any weight. No surprise there. Thanks a lot points plus program, thanks a lot. harumph

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:00 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

Aubade wrote:
Well, I followed the plan perfectly last week but did not lose any weight. No surprise there. Thanks a lot points plus program, thanks a lot. harumph

There are a lot of factors that influence weight. Did you weigh in at the same time of day? Did you have a lot of sodium recently that may be causing you to retain water? Were you wearing heavier clothes for the second weigh-in? etc. Are you doing it in person? I'd say give it another week and if it still doesn't work, talk to your leader about it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:04 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

joyfulgirl wrote:
Aubade wrote:

There are a lot of factors that influence weight. Did you weigh in at the same time of day? Did you have a lot of sodium recently that may be causing you to retain water? Were you wearing heavier clothes for the second weigh-in? etc. Are you doing it in person? I'd say give it another week and if it still doesn't work, talk to your leader about it.

Thanks. I don't think it was those things, although who knows. I'm jumping to blame the plan because it worked really well for me on the old plan - I lost 20 pounds on a nice steady schedule and kept it off until I got pregnant. I'm only doing it online (same as before). I figure I'll give it a shot through Feb. and if I don't see any loss then save my money and just use a free calorie count site.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:46 am 
Saggy Butt

Aubade wrote:

Thanks. I don't think it was those things, although who knows. I'm jumping to blame the plan because it worked really well for me on the old plan - I lost 20 pounds on a nice steady schedule and kept it off until I got pregnant. I'm only doing it online (same as before). I figure I'll give it a shot through Feb. and if I don't see any loss then save my money and just use a free calorie count site.

Well... If the old plan works for you, just keep doing that! Fight the system!!! Haha! If you don't have an old point calculator I am willing to BET you can find one on craigslist or from people who have been using WW for a while. Personally, I've lost 5 lbs on the new system (and it's even my time of the month this week!).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:26 am 
Tofu Pup

I've got to say that even though I find the plan comfortable to follow, I haven't lost any weight on it at all...

It's very discouraging especially given then attention to detail (weighing, measuring, tracking) and planning I have given it...
On top of it, I've been quite active lately... I don't know what to do next.

Even though I doesn't make me happy to see others struggle, it is kind of reassuring I'm not alone with these issues.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:24 am 
Saggy Butt

fruitiepie wrote:
I've got to say that even though I find the plan comfortable to follow, I haven't lost any weight on it at all...

It's very discouraging especially given then attention to detail (weighing, measuring, tracking) and planning I have given it...
On top of it, I've been quite active lately... I don't know what to do next.

Even though I doesn't make me happy to see others struggle, it is kind of reassuring I'm not alone with these issues.

Are you still monitoring your overall calories too? Because that's still important... I felt the my recommended points allowance was too high so I'm just doing the minimum (29). I'm using fatsecret.com (they have an android app and I LOVE it - it can scan barcodes to pull up most foods) so I can monitor both my overall points and how many calories I take in... I can be right at 29 points one day and have only had about 1,000 calories and the next be UNDER points and have 1,200.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:14 am 
Tofu Pup

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I'm familiar with calorie counting, but I find it tedious... especially for veggies. I used to do it for the longest time though.

2 questions: that website allows you to count calories and pp+ at the same time? because I do have a calorie counting software, I just don't feel like tracking twice.

How come you only get about 1000 calories with 29 pp? I get more... about 1500, each pp is about 35-45 on average for me and then comes fruit and veggies. I'm reasonable with my veggies and limit my fruit to max 3 a day.

thanks for the info! :)

should I just drop my pp to 25? I'd still like to use my AP and WPA...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 585 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 24  Next