| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 734 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: The no-sugar support thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:01 am 
Kale Wreath

Yes, hang in there Zoey!

I want to bake right now like nobody's business. But I can't because I have no oven. Argh, I want a treat so bad! Like a muffin or a cupcake or something. Woe.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:10 am 
Chard Martyr

pistachiorose wrote:
I want to bake right now like nobody's business. But I can't because I have no oven. Argh, I want a treat so bad! Like a muffin or a cupcake or something. Woe.

Pistachiorose, you can do this-- I have no idea what you like to do to occupy your mind, but cravings disappear if we wait 'em out long enough... c'mon... I'm rooting for you! (I need you to remind me of this possibly later today if this is a day 4 thing).

More tea? Forget the cold and have a frozen banana with some cinnamon? Peanut butter on something?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:18 am 
Kale Wreath

I think I've passed the craving, but I'm still struggling a little bit. I will persevere! I'm really enjoying the cereal/fruit coffee sub I got yesterday - that certainly helps!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:15 am 
Chard Martyr

I'm dead tired and totally unmotivated... please tell me this is a day 4 sugar detox thing and not just a Meggs is going to have a rough day thing?

Maybe I need to explore more warm beverage options! Your coffee sub sounds delightful. I don't drink enough liquids, either. It would be a win-win.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:57 am 
Kale Wreath

It's probably detox, I'd say :)

I feel like I'm failing. I wasn't going to eat anything after dinner, but then I found three dried fruit leathers (or whatever you call them - they don't have added sugar but they are very sweet) and I ate them all. Now I'm having two crackers with peanut butter. I feel bad, but I think my dinner wasn't big enough and that was the problem...or I hope so, anyway. Argh.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:41 pm 
Chard Martyr

You're NOT failing! You're doing awesome! You ate fruit, not cake! (Yes, I want cake, badly.)
You're eating at night- my world, every day! That's what I did last night, too- peanut butter in a wrap, crackers, etc. I'm carbing out... well, the PB makes it a little better, nutrition-wise.

Who was it that liked Mary's Gone Crackers? If you live in the States and have a Jewel-Osco nearby (I don't know if their sister store, Albertson's has the same deals at the same time), they're on sale this week. $3.99/box.

Lunchtime! Going to try to eat before going to the grocery store to avoid temptation!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:13 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

ctate wrote:
melisser wrote:
I'm not trying to be sugar free, but I would like to find some sugar free breakfast options! I am tired of cereals and non dairy milks filled with sugar to start my day.

Melisser,
I always start my day with a huge smoothie (sugar free almond milk, frozen fruit, maybe toss in a banana, spinach, whatever you want).

I have been LOVING having green smoothies for breakfast. I've been doing frozen blueberries & strawberries, a half or whole banana, some juice, 2 tbsp hemp seeds, and then two BIG handfulls of spinach. I feel forking awesome. Highly recommended.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:40 pm 
Chard Martyr

jordanpattern wrote:
I have been LOVING having green smoothies for breakfast. I've been doing frozen blueberries & strawberries, a half or whole banana, some juice, 2 tbsp hemp seeds, and then two BIG handfulls of spinach. I feel forking awesome. Highly recommended.

I love spinach (as opposed to kale... I burned myself out on kale ones, and spinach is so much sweeter) green smoothies. Blueberry and mango. Or whatever fruit, really. That sounds really good, jordan-- I need to get back into incorporating these as a breakfast option.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:20 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

pistachiorose wrote:
My heart got minorly fractured last night, so I am feeling kind of bummed and not in the best of spirits. It is times like these when I stop caring about what I eat - and when I feel the need to 'treat' myself. So I'm going to go have a hot bubble bath now (at 1:30pm - I don't have a schedule today!) and read my new Japanese Zen cookbooks in the tub. And try not to think about how sugar usually makes me feel better in times like these :(

Aw *HUGS* a bath and cookbooks sounds even better than sugar!

pistachiorose wrote:
Oh, I also wanted to mention to those of you who miss baking (I do too, but alas, no oven=no baking, and I'm getting used to it), why don't you try savoury muffins or biscuits? Here are two that I've tried and enjoyed:
http://tofufortwo.net/2009/07/24/savoury-muffins/
http://havecakewilltravel.com/2008/12/3 ... y-muffins/
The first recipe calls for 2 tsp sugar, but I'm sure you wouldn't miss much if you left it out.

Thanks! I tried baking some savoury muffins for a bake sale but I wasn't impressed with the texture or flavour. I can't remember which recipe I used but I want to try both of these, I might try subbing something for the soy yoghurt in the first link.

Meggs wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:

I love spinach (as opposed to kale... I burned myself out on kale ones, and spinach is so much sweeter) green smoothies. Blueberry and mango. Or whatever fruit, really. That sounds really good, jordan-- I need to get back into incorporating these as a breakfast option.

I too use baby spinach and not kale, it's much easier to find here and I prefer the taste.

I almost gave in last night, I didn't eat enough the day before, had to wait all day for lunch (finally ate at 4.30pm) and then was starving, so I had to 2 pcs rice toast w/ natural pb and avoided the oreos my bf was snacking on = WIN!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:03 pm 
Chard Martyr

Wow, Kitteh- good job! I don't know if I'd have had that willpower today. Making it so far, working out right now (PPKing makes it go faster!). We'll see what happens.....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:52 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I made it through the day again. I really wanted a soda earlier but my husband took the car today so I didn't have a way to get one. Now that it is evening I am glad that I stayed sugar-free. This weekend my in laws will be here and my mother in law is going to make vegan organic muffins for my baby. Normally I might tell her that we are trying to be sugar free, but I am so excited that she picked up something vegan and organic that I am going to be encouraging. I am pretty sure that I will be able to stay away.

I still have insomnia though, I wonder what that is about.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:37 am 
Kale Wreath

I'm sorry that both of you are having insomnia troubles! I am the opposite - feeling a bit more tired than usual.

Does anyone have ideas for sugar-free (preferably savoury) hot breakfasts that are super-quick to make? Lately I'm been having a green smoothie and some crackers with olive spread or hummus, but the weather here just turned all cold and rainy all of a sudden, and this morning I did not enjoy my cold smoothie at all. I don't have access to oatmeal here (not for a decent price, anyway) and I don't think I'll have time to make a burrito or scramble. Any other ideas?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:39 am 
Chard Martyr

Good job, Zoey! Woo! We made it to day 5! Yesterday was really rough, especially at night. Aren't sugar cravings supposed to stop after a while? Anyone know approximately how long?

I wonder if the insomnia is related to your cessation of soda? Was it caffeinated? I still have insomnia, but I'm hoping that this sugar detox will at least help it a little bit.

That's exciting about your mother in law making something vegan and organic for your baby! I like muffins and other baked goods too much to be around them. Ugh, I don't know why but I purposely walked through the bakery section of the grocery the other day. Torment myself.

Anyway, new day, all that stuff. Pistachiorose, how are you holding up? What's day 5 like? If I recall, you had some issues on the night of day 4 with cravings?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:44 am 
Kale Wreath

Meggs wrote:
Anyway, new day, all that stuff. Pistachiorose, how are you holding up? What's day 5 like? If I recall, you had some issues on the night of day 4 with cravings?
Oh, I managed. I was just disappointed in myself for the unnecessary evening snacking :( Day five is almost over now, and I've been only eating healthy, wholesome things.

I think I heard that it takes about two weeks to overcome the cravings for serious, but that the first few days are always the worst. I'm trying to kick the sweets-emotions habit, and they say it takes 21 days to make or break a habit, right?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:57 am 
Chard Martyr

I unnecessarily snack in the evenings every day of my life. I know how you feel; I still hate it.

Two weeks? Oh boy. That time frame alone makes me almost want to give up. I miss sweet things. I think it might be easier if I were a person who liked salty snacks or something... but I don't.

Like you said, it is also an emotional connection for me as well, and that type of disconnect/reconnect with something else, whatever you want to call it, will take time. Waaahh (yeah, I whined) I just wish it were quicker! I should not go out of the house today at all.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:03 am 
Kale Wreath

No no, if you just stay in all day then you won't be happy and then you'll cave in!

Don't worry, I am a totally sweet fiend too (I have never been much into salty snacks) and I think we can do it! Every day is a success and it will get better steadily. I know it will!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:12 am 
Chard Martyr

pistachiorose wrote:
Don't worry, I am a totally sweet fiend too (I have never been much into salty snacks) and I think we can do it! Every day is a success and it will get better steadily. I know it will!

Ok, I'm going to make this my mantra today.
I wonder if I can bake something and just leave the sugar out? Yeah, probably not the best idea. Scratch that.

Salads! Wraps! Green smoothies!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:28 am 
Kale Wreath

Meggs wrote:
I wonder if I can bake something and just leave the sugar out? Yeah, probably not the best idea. Scratch that.

I actually went out and bought some flour yesterday with the intention of making pan-fried squash or yam biscuits sometime. I'm thinking that'll satisfy my baking monkey (in the absence of having an oven) for cold miserable days when I want something warm and comforting and baked good-like.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:31 am 
Kale Wreath

Argh you guys, I am having a hard time tonight! I want a sweet treat so bad, but it's 11:30pm and I just can't justify eating at this hour, even if there were sugary things around. And even if they were around they would not be worth it unless it was something completely amazing, and I would feel gross anyway. I am sad, I miss the sugar BAD, but I will persevere!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:44 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Meggs wrote:

if you sub dates and super ripe bananas, that might compensate for the lack of sugar.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:53 am 
Chard Martyr

pistachiorose wrote:
Argh you guys, I am having a hard time tonight! I want a sweet treat so bad, but it's 11:30pm and I just can't justify eating at this hour, even if there were sugary things around. And even if they were around they would not be worth it unless it was something completely amazing, and I would feel gross anyway. I am sad, I miss the sugar BAD, but I will persevere!

I eat at that hour, and later, all the time. I think my eating times are reversed at this point. But no, not worth it!! You will persevere! fork, I feel the same as you do, though... I almost ate a Luna Bar without thinking about the sugar content... then I remembered, no sugar for me- damn.

Alina wrote:
if you sub dates and super ripe bananas, that might compensate for the lack of sugar.

Is there a ratio for this?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:33 am 

I love how active this thread is, you all are so inspiring. I am still stuck with insomnia. Last night I went to bed around 11 but didn't fall asleep until around 3. Then I got up with the baby around 4:30 and up for good at 6:30. That's about 3 hours of sleep and not even in a row. The strange thing is that I am not tired. I could have slept in later because the baby was still asleep (practically a miracle in our house) but I was just done sleeping and I wanted to get up and have breakfast.

I don't remember ever having insomnia before and it is very strange to be awake at 2am and feel like it is the middle of the day. I feel so alert and active even though it is the middle of the night. My in laws get here today so we'll see if having them here wears me out enough to sleep.

The no sugar front is going well but I think I am eating too much fat now. I used to reach for cookies or muffins for a quick snack and now I find myself reaching for hummus all the time. I don't really have anything else quick that I can make in the house. I guess I will tackle that after I feel like I have sugar a little more under control.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:35 am 

I also meant to add that I have heard sugar cravings can last more than 2 weeks but that the first two weeks are the worst.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:14 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Wow, you all are awesome. I am embarking on a low sugar lifestyle (no sugar is too much pressure for me, so I'm trying to pre-emptively avoid the binge that comes when I make a mistake). The biggest hurdle I can see so far is that I'm supposed to get my package from the October swap this weekend...and I love to bake. Baked goods can be given away, though, and package goodies can be rationed. I, too, have the problem of eating well all day and binging at night. Hopefully this thread will keep me on track. My main issue is that I have gained weight since school started again and its making me feel like crepe. And my skin has gone to hell, so I'm hoping cutting my sugar intake and upping the water will resolve both of those issues.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:36 pm 
Chard Martyr

Zoey wrote:
The no sugar front is going well but I think I am eating too much fat now. I used to reach for cookies or muffins for a quick snack and now I find myself reaching for hummus all the time. I don't really have anything else quick that I can make in the house.

I find myself doing this, too- I used to eat fairly low-fat with the exception of avocado and the occasional nut butter, but I feel like I've subbed fat for the missing sugar!

I reeeeally just want to take a temporary jump off of this bandwagon right now, because I just want something sweet, damn it! Apples, grapes, and bananas aren't cutting it for me! ARGH! Thank goodness that this thread is keeping up, because I need you guys! Can't I just have a little bit? My mind is totally not with it today.

Welcome, Fizzgig! I've found the people on this thread to be extremely wise and supportive!

Reply to topic  [ 734 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 30  Next