| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 734 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: The no-sugar support thread
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:36 am 
Kale Wreath

You guys. Last week I bought some 'sesame spread' from a health food store thinking it would be like, you know, tahini. Then tonight I'm making a tahini salad dressing and I decide to taste it to see how it differs from the kinds I've had before, and it was forking sweetened! Like spreadable halvah! Sick. So I used unsweetened PB instead. Now I have to figure out how to get rid of the sesame spread. Total bummer.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:04 am 
Chard Martyr

Weird, pistachiorose! I've never seen or heard of a sesame spread... well, other than tahini, but tahini is not sweet to me... sorry about that.

Ugh, and tahini dressings are really good, too. Bummer.

I'm slowly cutting back on sugar again. I'm not eating the things that initially caused me to want to cut down on sugar, though, so that's good. I'm also using agave when I am sweetening things, so we'll see how that goes. Slowly making progress. Bought heaps of spinach and going to make more smoothies and eat more savory things in general. Sugar is a beast!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:18 pm 
Chip Strong

I'm making an effort to cut out sugar this month! Is amazake considered sugar free? There's no added sugar but it gets sweet due to fermentation, does that count? I really like having them in the morning and I tend to eat sweet cereal or brown sugar in my oatmeal and dont know what else to have.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:08 pm 
Tofu Pup

^ I think it depends on how you're defining sugar. If you're not going to be counting things like fruit as sugar, then I'd say it's fine because there aren't any added sweeteners.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:01 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

Fizzgig wrote:
pistachiorose wrote:
thisheregiraffe wrote:
pistachiorose, I just noticed your question!

After the detoxing and withdrawal stuff, my skin started looking amazing, I lost a few pounds, my mind was sharper and I stopped craving sugar. Other than that, I'm not sure of any other changes.

How long did it take for your skin to get better? (I wish mine would get better but I don't know if the no-sugar thing will make much difference).

yes, I'm looking forward to this side effect as well...it is one of my main reasons for doing this...I'd rather cut sugar than take medicine to make my skin better.

My skin started to improve within the first week, after three weeks it was totally clear and glowy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:17 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I am still hanging in there and it has been about a week and a half. I definitely notice my skin improving. I had a dream that I had a cookie and it was so good. Then I woke up and realized it was a dream and considered going to the store to get a real cookie, but I didn't go. I think I am fighting off a little cold and I always eat extra sugar when I am sick, so I am pretty sure that is why I am craving cookies right now. Hopefully I make it through because it feels like I have survived the worst of it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:06 pm 
Kale Wreath

I haven't noticed any improvement in my skin yet, but I also just got my period and I usually break out worse around this time anyway, so it's hard to tell. Hopefully next week... on the plus side, I had pretty much no typical pms symptoms (my skin didn't seem worse than usual, I didn't have mood swings or extra sugar cravings, didn't notice reduced regularity, etc etc. Might've been random, but might've been related to cutting sugar and eating mostly whole foods instead. I'll let myself think it was the lack of sugar ;)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:07 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I don't know if I'm imagining it, but I think my skin is clearing up a bit...or at least fewer new pimples are arising, which is amazing. This is my third day doing this, so a lot of it is probably in my head, but whatever. Today I had some fresh fruit as well, which was so unbelievably sweet, it really hit the spot. I was having a major craving, and I went with the fruit instead of actual added sugar. I was craving sugar in my coffee, even though I don't usually add any...I drink it black, but it was just a really strong urge. Weird. I'm really happy with this decision to be low-sugar, though now people ask what I do eat between the veganism and the low-sugar.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:38 pm 

I am still sugar free but I feel like I am getting sick. It actually feels like I am having a caffeine withdrawl headache, so I really want a soda. But I know that it isn't a caffeine headache because I have been caffeine free for almost 2 weeks. Also I keep telling myself that sugar impairs my immune system, so I will feel better faster if I just stay away. I feel like I am having an internal battle between "sick Zoey who wants a soda to feel better this instant" and "healthy Zoey who is looking at the big picture". I'm not sure which side is winning.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:11 am 
Kale Wreath

Zoey wrote:
I am still sugar free but I feel like I am getting sick. It actually feels like I am having a caffeine withdrawl headache, so I really want a soda. But I know that it isn't a caffeine headache because I have been caffeine free for almost 2 weeks. Also I keep telling myself that sugar impairs my immune system, so I will feel better faster if I just stay away. I feel like I am having an internal battle between "sick Zoey who wants a soda to feel better this instant" and "healthy Zoey who is looking at the big picture". I'm not sure which side is winning.

Oh no Zoey, that sucks! But keep away from that sugar - it'll weaken your immune system (a google search will explain the details if you want them). Eat lots of soup and tea instead and you'll get over it faster (has this bumped the 'healthy Zoey' ahead now? I hope so!)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:06 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Ok, I'm on the band wagon. I went a full day yesterday without any sugar. I had to keep myself busy all evening so that wouldn't think about that citrus pull apart loaf sitting in my fridge. I hope I can keep up with this like you guys are. I'm going to try and be sugar free besides for when I taste test new baked products I create, the only difference will be that I'll only have one small taste instead of a full serving which is what I normally do.
Not sure if someone already mentioned this but can anyone recommend a sugar-free cereal? My favorite kinds all seem to have sugar cane in them.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:04 pm 

pistachiorose wrote:
Zoey wrote:

Oh no Zoey, that sucks! But keep away from that sugar - it'll weaken your immune system (a google search will explain the details if you want them). Eat lots of soup and tea instead and you'll get over it faster (has this bumped the 'healthy Zoey' ahead now? I hope so!)

Healthy Zoey won yesterday. If I can make it to 4:00 I am golden because I won't drink any caffeine after 4. I wish I had some soup and tea but I don't. I do have green smoothie ingredients though so I will make that before I go anywhere in search of sugar.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:38 pm 
Chard Martyr

I haven't been posting because sugary Meggs has been winning a lot lately (if I may borrow Zoey's examples of fighting between the Two Zoey's)...

I'm working on it. I have a lot of other things I'm working on, too, and sugar is not exactly top priority, although maybe it could/should be. I have no excuse.

I hope you are all well and I hope to be making it back here more frequently soon. Very soon.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:33 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

Pistachiorose, thanks for the tip on using sweet potatoes/winter squash to help with my sugar cravings. I had a reheated baked sweet potato for breakfast and it really hit the spot. I think I'll be trying that one more often.

Does anyone have the link to that one youtube video on sugar that was posted on the old boards. I was telling my brother about it and he was interested in watching it, but I can't seem to find the video.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:43 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Struggles happen... To me at the moment I'm pretty much 100% sugar-free at home, but find it hard to say no when people offer me vegan baked goods. it probably doesn't help that a veggie group in my area is gonna do regular baking together... but i figure if that's the only sugar i eat i'm good. think of the big picture, guys! and don't beat yourself up if you slip, it's all a process.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:33 pm 
Hip Goiter

cosmiclettuce wrote:
Struggles happen... To me at the moment I'm pretty much 100% sugar-free at home, but find it hard to say no when people offer me vegan baked goods. it probably doesn't help that a veggie group in my area is gonna do regular baking together... but i figure if that's the only sugar i eat i'm good. think of the big picture, guys! and don't beat yourself up if you slip, it's all a process.

I think that baking group thing sounds like it supports the general and good idea of making sugar something very special that you don't consume mindlessly or regularly. And it sounds fun!

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:39 am 
Tofu Pup

I have been vegan for a year, and have recently been feeling like I need to cut out the sugar..then I just luckily stumbled on this site, and your thread has already been extremely inspiring and supportive! Can anyone (low-sugar or no-sugar) tell me if there are any fruits you avoid? Or is it more about focusing on cutting out the added sugars/substitutes? Thank you in advance for any help you can give!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:54 pm 
Hip Goiter

I don't like the idea of cutting out fruit unless it's for true medical reasons. I'm focused on avoiding actual granulated sugar (none in my home so my family has to stop asking me to bake for them!), added sugars, cooking with sugar, sugar as an ingredient in purchased goods, &c. and using dates and agave more moderately.

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:22 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

Jojo24 wrote:
I have been vegan for a year, and have recently been feeling like I need to cut out the sugar..then I just luckily stumbled on this site, and your thread has already been extremely inspiring and supportive! Can anyone (low-sugar or no-sugar) tell me if there are any fruits you avoid? Or is it more about focusing on cutting out the added sugars/substitutes? Thank you in advance for any help you can give!

Jojo, I'm new to this low/no-sugar thing, but for me, I'm not cutting out any fruit. In fact, I find myself eating more now than I did previously, though it's getting harder now that winter is approaching. I'll probably be stocking up on frozen fruit, though, and using that to get through winter until fresh fruit is available again. Pistachiorose also suggested that I try sweet potatoes and winter squash, and they are a nice substitute when I want something sweet. For me, this is more about cutting out the ridiculous amounts of added sugar that are in most packaged foods, and trying to get back to eating whole foods. Good luck on your journey to be sugar-free :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:57 pm 
Tofu Pup

Thank you Randi and Gaia, I really appreciate your support and feedback! I love fruit, and am hoping to ALWAYS make that my go-to when I need something sweet. I had come across this website when I first went vegan, and looove a lot of the recipes she has up - all without refined sugars.

http://nocrapdiet.wordpress.com/r-recipes-desserts/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:09 pm 
Chard Martyr

I have to make black bean brownies! (They are on that link you provided, as well as others I've seen)-- has anyone made them, and if so, what was your experience, compared to "regular" brownies?
I feel like they would be healthier... misconception?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:24 pm 
Hip Goiter

I've made bean brownies over the years (black bean, white bean, fill-in-the-blank bean) and I've never liked the final product. But some people rave about them; I guess just not for me. I don't remember what recipes I've tried.

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:57 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I think I have to join you guys soon - I feel like I'm sugar spiraling downward.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:36 pm 
Tofu Pup

Meggs wrote:
I have to make black bean brownies! (They are on that link you provided, as well as others I've seen)-- has anyone made them, and if so, what was your experience, compared to "regular" brownies?
I feel like they would be healthier... misconception?

I have made the ones from that link a few times, for myself and for omnivores - and although they differ slightly from "regular" brownies in texture, they were incredibly moist and everyone who tried them agreed the banana and nuts in them were delicious. I hope you like them too!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:30 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

The only blackbean brownies I've ever liked had a crapload of sugar in them, I thought the ones made with bananas were kind of gross.
I'm so glad I've got frozen bananas in my freezer, the only thing that really cures my sugar craving is banana soft serve. I know bananas have a lot of sugar but I figure it's better then eating a cookie and I need baby steps.
I can't believe how fast it went by but I'm on day 5 already and no slip-ups yet. I really hope I can keep this up. I couldn't find any sugar-free cereals but I did find some low sugar stuff, 2g per serving, I guess that's not too bad.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 734 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 30  Next