| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 735 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: The no-sugar support thread
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:06 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

yesterday I messed up big time. I may or may not have been eating brown sugar plain. Oops. Today is a new start though...this is my second week of trying this, and that was my only cringe-worthy slip up so far. I could tell how icky it made me feel though, so hopefully I will remember that for longer this time...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:21 pm 
Chard Martyr

Congrats, Maggie, that's awesome! The frozen banana idea saved me- it's so tasty!

So the jury is divided on the bean brownie camp.... maybe I'll make them just to see, when I am having a baking craving. I'll make them with bananas rather than sugar.

appifanie wrote:
I think I have to join you guys soon - I feel like I'm sugar spiraling downward.

I know, I have to re-join. I'm sugar spiraling downward, too... but I'm making it worth my while since it's happening.

Aaaaand, I love this:
gaia13 wrote:
For me, this is more about cutting out the ridiculous amounts of added sugar that are in most packaged foods, and trying to get back to eating whole foods.
Because I'm a lazy bisque, and I actually do like cooking when I do it, so this is a good way to help force myself to do it- make myself consciously aware of what is going into my food/face. I've been eating sweet potatoes nearly every day- they're so fantastic! No butter or sweet anything on them, just a little olive oil brushed on them to bake and some nooch and spices- yum! Oh, and I made some chickpea (mock chick'n) salad... missed it so much.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:09 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I'm letting myself go this week until the end of Saturday and then it's back on track on Sunday until Thanksgiving. NYC vacation! Anyone would be a fool to ask me to restrict myself there. It's just not going to happen.

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:57 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Hi! Still reading the thread. This morning my coffee and I started small - I still used silk creamer, but I didn't add the 2 tsp of sugar. Then I had a green smoothie - spinach, water, frozen banana, frozen strawberries (and now I'm freezing - brr!:)

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:59 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Curry had been mentioned as a good savory breakfast...does anyone have any recipes or any direction on how to achieve this? It sounds good, but...help?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:55 am 
Kale Wreath

Yes, breakfast curry suggestions would be nice, if anyone has them :)

I'm into 2.5 weeks without sugar now, but I feel bad because I seem to have newly discovered dried fruit and have been eating waaay too much of it... I suppose copious amounts of dried fruit beats copious amounts of junk, but still. I think my skin is clearer than is was, but it's definitely not 100% better yet :(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:24 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Here's a good savory curry breakfast, chickpea pancakes with a green pea curry sauce:
http://www.dietdessertndogs.com/2009/01 ... ed-hurrah/
This fava bean recipe looks good too:
http://www.dietdessertndogs.com/2010/02 ... breakfast/

I'm sticking with the sweet breakfasts since it's what I look forward too when I get up. I'm pretty sure my happiness revolves around food.....mainly peanut butter.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:03 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

is there such a thing as a sugar/sweetener-free granola? because I just discovered how awesome it is to mix granola into oatmeal, but the store-bought kind is not even close to sugar-free so I want to try making my own.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:13 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I have been sugar free for almost 3 weeks now but I am still really craving it. Does anyone remember how long that lasts? Yesterday I even drove into the parking lot of 7-11 but it was too crowded so I didn't go in and get a soda. Today I was thinking about going to the store to get cookies, but my baby took a longer nap than expected so we didn't have time to go.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:32 pm 
Chard Martyr

Zoey wrote:
I have been sugar free for almost 3 weeks now but I am still really craving it. Does anyone remember how long that lasts? Yesterday I even drove into the parking lot of 7-11 but it was too crowded so I didn't go in and get a soda. Today I was thinking about going to the store to get cookies, but my baby took a longer nap than expected so we didn't have time to go.

It's like the universe is helping you stay sugar free... damn it... or yay, depending on how you look at it. I think someone said two weeks, but another person may have said it (the cravings) lasts a month, Zoey.

I've been a sugar maniac the past few days, and feeling like shiitake now, so I'm baaaaack!
Ready to go low-sugar. I made some really tasty things and ready to cook more, so I think I can do this. Definitely not ready for no sugar at all, so I'm making a realistic goal to do as little sugar as possible and not beat myself up if I want a little bit of it. Going to try to stick to agave if I want something extra, and fruits, dried fruit (it's ok, pistachiorose, you're right- better than candy! Oreos and Nutter Butters were killing me!) and the like.

Help! Keep me accountable! Support me! I know you all will. You're the best!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:47 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I just want to say that while pretty much every post in here is totally fine, there are a few that seem to border on potential disordered eating kind of talk. So, if you find yourself craving sugar to the point you binge eat or anything like that you should probably consider adding a little sugar back into your diet. Not necessarily cookies or candy or anything like that, but maybe just some dried fruit or something. Cutting out sugar is totally great, but if you're miserable because of it, just know that you can still be really healthy and consume some sugar. I know pretty much everyone knows this. I just worry that some people might be taking it to the extreme.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:17 pm 
Hip Goiter

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I just want to say that while pretty much every post in here is totally fine, there are a few that seem to border on potential disordered eating kind of talk. So, if you find yourself craving sugar to the point you binge eat or anything like that you should probably consider adding a little sugar back into your diet. Not necessarily cookies or candy or anything like that, but maybe just some dried fruit or something. Cutting out sugar is totally great, but if you're miserable because of it, just know that you can still be really healthy and consume some sugar. I know pretty much everyone knows this. I just worry that some people might be taking it to the extreme.

Definitely!

Zoey if you are still having terrible cravings, check what you are eating during the day. Make sure you eat enough! Cutting out sugar doesn't necessarily mean changing all your regular meals. In fact it kind of helps to eat a little more than usual, whether you add some nutrient-dense element to meals or snack more often.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:19 pm 

RandiJM wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:

Definitely!

Zoey if you are still having terrible cravings, check what you are eating during the day. Make sure you eat enough! Cutting out sugar doesn't necessarily mean changing all your regular meals. In fact it kind of helps to eat a little more than usual, whether you add some nutrient-dense element to meals or snack more often.

yeah, good point about making sure you're eating enough! and make sure you're eating enough carbohydrates. if a lot of your carbs were coming from sugar/fruit before make sure you're substituting grains and starches for it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:26 pm 
Chard Martyr

ijustdiedinside wrote:
yeah, good point about making sure you're eating enough! and make sure you're eating enough carbohydrates. if a lot of your carbs were coming from sugar/fruit before make sure you're substituting grains and starches for it.

I wasn't eating good foods. That's why I think I went to sugar overload. Yuck- I was eating sugary foods I NEVER ate before! Oh well. I'll focus on eating healthy sugars! I didn't like not eating sugar at all. Thanks for the healthy pep-talk, ijdi. I can get extreme with things, so I appreciate everything you said. Several people on the thread said it before, and I need to listen: less sugar than before (especially now, given I was eating processed JUNK food most recently and it made me feel gross) is progress!

I can't wait to cook more and feel better! Hopefully my body responds. I will adjust my intake of whole foods, fruits, and such, accordingly!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:04 pm 
Chard Martyr

ijdi, you scared everyone away!

Oh, sugarless/reduced-sugar folk, come back....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:18 pm 

Meggs wrote:
ijdi, you scared everyone away!

Oh, sugarless/reduced-sugar folk, come back....

sorry! i also wasn't even talking to you specifically! just a general make sure you're healthy pep talk!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:25 pm 
Chard Martyr

ijustdiedinside wrote:
sorry! i also wasn't even talking to you specifically! just a general make sure you're healthy pep talk!

I appreciated your healthy pep talk (you know your stuff, so I listen!) and didn't take it as directed at me, but thank you anyway for the clarification!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:15 pm 
Hip Goiter

I went to Govinda's today during my break to buy my dad the cinnamon buns. I'm seeing him Sunday. The buns are not wrapped well enough, and I can smell them. They smell amazing, obviously. Luckily it's pretty much the smell of cinnamon, which I can use to make something else. Ooh like cinnamon-banana milk! nice. Also I can't open them anyway bc they are for him. That was an interesting post.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:54 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Alina wrote:
is there such a thing as a sugar/sweetener-free granola? because I just discovered how awesome it is to mix granola into oatmeal, but the store-bought kind is not even close to sugar-free so I want to try making my own.

I've made peanut butter banana granola without sugar. Mashed bananas make it a little bit sweet, but nothing approaching the sweetness of a store bought granola. I like it, especially with added raisins, but I wouldn't serve it to anyone and expect them not to feel like they were eating health food.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:20 pm 
Hip Goiter

I have made more buckwheat crispies in the dehydrator in the past month than I can even fathom. I'm obsessed! I mix them with nuts and seeds and raisins and cacao nibs &c to make my own cereal; I made bars mixing them with nut butters and other crazy add-ins. I'm just taking out of the machina now the Raw Cacao Pebbles from the Complete Idiot's Guide to Eating Raw. Omg sooo good. Except a little sweet, even though I didn't use as many dates as it called for. SO fun!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:42 pm 
Chard Martyr

ashley wrote:
Alina wrote:

I've made peanut butter banana granola without sugar. Mashed bananas make it a little bit sweet, but nothing approaching the sweetness of a store bought granola. I like it, especially with added raisins, but I wouldn't serve it to anyone and expect them not to feel like they were eating health food.

Recipe? Luckily, I adore eating health food.

I'd ask for your recipe, RandiJM, but I don't have a dehydrator anymore :(

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:57 pm 
Hip Goiter

I don't know if you could try raw buckwheat in the oven (and toasted would nottt be good) but I'm sure you could add a cocoa/date/cinnamon mixture to other stuff that you'd use to make granola!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:41 am 
Kale Wreath

Yesterday was my official three weeks without sugar. So today I was curious and had some sweets. The taste made me want more, but it was also too sweet. I didn't feel very good afterward, so I think I'll go back to no-sugar again - I feel pretty comfortable that way now.

Also, you guys are making me really wish that I had a dehydrator.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:57 am 
Chard Martyr

pistachiorose wrote:
Yesterday was my official three weeks without sugar. So today I was curious and had some sweets. The taste made me want more, but it was also too sweet. I didn't feel very good afterward, so I think I'll go back to no-sugar again - I feel pretty comfortable that way now.

Also, you guys are making me really wish that I had a dehydrator.

Congrats, pistachiorose. Dehydrators are awesome. They take up a lot of space and are expensive, but awesome and fun to experiment with.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:36 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

It's only been a little over a week but I had to test some cookies I made on the weekend, unlike what I normally do I only took a bit of each kind. It' not like I ate a lot of sugar but I still felt a little crappy afterwords. Back at it again now, hopefully my self-control doesn't disappear.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 735 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 30  Next