| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 734 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: The no-sugar support thread
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:29 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Fizzgig wrote:
yesterday I messed up big time. I may or may not have been eating brown sugar plain. Oops. Today is a new start though...this is my second week of trying this, and that was my only cringe-worthy slip up so far. I could tell how icky it made me feel though, so hopefully I will remember that for longer this time...

I (used to) love brown sugar! But you're right, all you need is one day of sugar and it reminds you how icky you feel. I've been having a few dark chocolate buttons and we made ice cream, the first batch we used sugar and even my bf who is not sugar free, thought it was too sweet. The last few batches I've used maple syrup instead.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:34 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

pistachiorose wrote:
Yesterday was my official three weeks without sugar. So today I was curious and had some sweets. The taste made me want more, but it was also too sweet. I didn't feel very good afterward, so I think I'll go back to no-sugar again - I feel pretty comfortable that way now.

Also, you guys are making me really wish that I had a dehydrator.

Congratulations. I had a really bad day today, but I'm starting clean tomorrow.

I wish I had a dehydrator as well. Maybe that'll be my christmas present to myself :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:53 pm 
Hip Goiter

I went to my parents' yesterday for my dad's bday, and he only likes cinnamon buns for dessert, so I brought him a few Vegan Treats cinnamon buns. I had to try them (never had!). They were fantastic...and then..they were INSANELY sweet. And then of course I felt like shiitake alllll night. So, reinforcement hell yeah.

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:21 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

RandiJM wrote:
I went to my parents' yesterday for my dad's bday, and he only likes cinnamon buns for dessert, so I brought him a few Vegan Treats cinnamon buns. I had to try them (never had!). They were fantastic...and then..they were INSANELY sweet. And then of course I felt like shiitake alllll night. So, reinforcement hell yeah.

At least you got to try them! I always make exceptions when it comes to vegan products that I just *have* to try!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:03 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Ok. I had a little piece of cheesecake and a couple handfuls of chocolate chips tonight. Blah. I'm coming down from the NYC sugar binge. Tomorrow, I'm really going to kick this thing in the asparagus. I'm promising this to myself RIGHT NOW. :)

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:15 pm 
Hip Goiter

Kitteh wrote:
RandiJM wrote:

At least you got to try them! I always make exceptions when it comes to vegan products that I just *have* to try!

Yeah I'm really glad I tried them! Now I don't have to wonder or deal with any desires I didn't give into, bc I know I don't want anymore. And I was able to stop eating after a few bites, whereas maybe a year ago I could have eaten 10 of them just due to my compulsive behavior.

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:18 pm 
Hip Goiter

sarahnorine wrote:
Ok. I had a little piece of cheesecake and a couple handfuls of chocolate chips tonight. Blah. I'm coming down from the NYC sugar binge. Tomorrow, I'm really going to kick this thing in the asparagus. I'm promising this to myself RIGHT NOW. :)

Haha 'coming down from' it. Yeah you gotta do it slowly, or else you'll go into withdrawal :P

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:22 pm 

RandiJM wrote:
sarahnorine wrote:

Haha 'coming down from' it. Yeah you gotta do it slowly, or else you'll go into withdrawal :P

Agh! It's true and pathetic at the same time! Dammit. Freaking sugar.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:13 pm 

Ok, I successfully diverted my impending sugar binge tonight...by eating frozen bananas. I froze them last night and put them in the food processor and pulsed until they were the consistency of ice cream. I think I've found my anecdote, people, unless you guys are evn abstaining from fruit sugar. And in that case, I really feel for you. This is tough stuff.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:46 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

sarahnorine wrote:
Ok, I successfully diverted my impending sugar binge tonight...by eating frozen bananas. I froze them last night and put them in the food processor and pulsed until they were the consistency of ice cream. I think I've found my anecdote, people, unless you guys are evn abstaining from fruit sugar. And in that case, I really feel for you. This is tough stuff.

I love doing that! Add a spoonful of peanut butter for an extra treat!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:24 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

VeganMeredith wrote:
sarahnorine wrote:

And carob powder, mmmm

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:32 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I bought so many bananas just for that purpose. now the hard part is waiting for all of them to get ripe enough. in the meantime, I've been curbing my cravings with kiwis and clementines. we still have a bunch of leftover Halloween candy at our house, and I'm really proud of myself for not giving into the last bag of skittles. damn them for not having gelatin anymore.

although last night I was at a friend's house working on homework and indulged in a few pieces of laffy taffy. in my defense, it was the banana flavor and that's totally the best one. :x

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:23 pm 
Saggy Butt

Maggie Muggins wrote:
VeganMeredith wrote:
sarahnorine wrote:

And carob powder, mmmm

yessss. so good. i just finished a little bowl myself.

i always cut up a bunch of bananas and freeze them on a cookie sheet, then put them into bags. so quick and easy when you want to use them!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:26 pm 
Hip Goiter

The best creation from the no-sugar thread on the old board was frozen bananas, frozen cherries, and cocoa powder (milk to blend/your preferred consistency). It's ridiculous.

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:29 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Meggs wrote:
ashley wrote:
Alina wrote:
is there such a thing as a sugar/sweetener-free granola? because I just discovered how awesome it is to mix granola into oatmeal, but the store-bought kind is not even close to sugar-free so I want to try making my own.

I've made peanut butter banana granola without sugar. Mashed bananas make it a little bit sweet, but nothing approaching the sweetness of a store bought granola. I like it, especially with added raisins, but I wouldn't serve it to anyone and expect them not to feel like they were eating health food.

Recipe? Luckily, I adore eating health food.

I don't follow a recipe (it's more of a throw it in the bowl until it looks right sort of process), but basically I start with around two cups of oats, 1/4 cup (or less) of peanut or other nut butter, and enough mashed banana (and/or applesauce) to make it moist but not wet. If I'm adding nuts or seeds, I add them to the mix. I have also thrown in a handful of wheat germ just for fun. Bake at 350, stirring occasionally, until it gets crispy. I add my raisins after baking the granola so they don't burn. This method doesn't seem to have enough fat in it to get super crunchy, but that doesn't bother me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:31 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I ate one of the cookie and cream cupcakes that I baked for my roommate. Holy forking sweet! I won't be doing that again, a wee bit rich for me.

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:51 pm 
Chard Martyr

ashley wrote:
I don't follow a recipe (it's more of a throw it in the bowl until it looks right sort of process), but basically I start with around two cups of oats, 1/4 cup (or less) of peanut or other nut butter, and enough mashed banana (and/or applesauce) to make it moist but not wet. If I'm adding nuts or seeds, I add them to the mix. I have also thrown in a handful of wheat germ just for fun. Bake at 350, stirring occasionally, until it gets crispy. I add my raisins after baking the granola so they don't burn. This method doesn't seem to have enough fat in it to get super crunchy, but that doesn't bother me.

Thank you! I've never made granola before, so this will be interesting, but it sounds good!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:09 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I'm extremely happy to report that this morning I made a mug brownie (figured it would be a good hangover breakfast) and couldn't eat more than two bites of it. I could taste the sugar in it and the granulated texture totally grossed me out.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:24 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

I was having major sugar cravings last night, but instead of giving in, I made myself a nice big mug of Republic of Tea's Coconut Cocoa Herb Tea. Let me tell ya, this stuff killed my craving and there isn't any sugar in it. It does have a small amount of caffeine in it, but as someone who is caffeine sensetive, I was a little worried to be drinking it so late at night, but it didn't have any effect on me at all.

Link for tea if interested : Craving Killer Tea

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:21 pm 
Hip Goiter

gaia13 wrote:
I was having major sugar cravings last night, but instead of giving in, I made myself a nice big mug of Republic of Tea's Coconut Cocoa Herb Tea. Let me tell ya, this stuff killed my craving and there isn't any sugar in it. It does have a small amount of caffeine in it, but as someone who is caffeine sensetive, I was a little worried to be drinking it so late at night, but it didn't have any effect on me at all.

That sounds amazing!

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:00 pm 

RandiJM wrote:
The best creation from the no-sugar thread on the old board was frozen bananas, frozen cherries, and cocoa powder (milk to blend/your preferred consistency). It's ridiculous.

That sounds quite delicious!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:29 am 
Has gasoline in her veins

I broke my "no sugar since summer" streak by eating at Voodoo Donuts today. Worth the experience, not worth the donut.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:54 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

gaia13 wrote:

That sounds really good.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:00 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Why is it that when you tell people you're trying to be sugar-free they really make an effort to give you sugar?

I've been low-sugar regardless, and found that since increasing my protein intake I have way less cravings. Stock up on chickpeas when you go get more bananas for freezing!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:31 pm 
Kale Wreath

I seem to only be able to do all or nothing! After trying some sugar after 3 weeks (which I felt ambivalent about) I completely fell off the wagon and my diet got way horrible and sugar-laden. And then my skin revolted. So now I'm back on the no-sugar wagon. It really does help my skin!

Also, the banana/cocoa/cherry smoothie thing is amazing. Everyone should seriously try it once!

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 734 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 30  Next