| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 735 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: The no-sugar support thread
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:29 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

mishka wrote:
VeganMeredith wrote:
I've been doing pretty well with the no sugar thing, but I've found it's been easy to forget about things like pasta sauce and ketchup. I'm going to have to make more of an effort to pay attention to those things.

Seriously, it's like modified milk - it's in everything. I was shopping for vegetable broth cubes, and the ones without yeast had sugar. wth.

It just seems so unnecessary in so many things.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:45 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Kitteh wrote:
I ate a little bit of sugar over the holidays but I feel pretty good and my skin looks pretty good at the moment too plus I'm finding it easier to ignore sugary things.

I'm 14 days into the no sugar. Well, except for the few teaspoons of maple syrup in a salad dressing and a cube of sugar in my fake coffee yesterday (not that I could taste it, anyway.) Oh. And some ketchup the other day. Darn it.

My chin erupted into pinhead-sized zits on day nine. I'm less than thrilled about this :(

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:19 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I've gradually phased out refined sugar from my diet over the last couple years. Nowadays my sugar mostly comes from whole fruit. I'll have fruit juice as an occasional treat, and I use small amounts of agave nectar in recipes and when I make chai. I never have baked goods but I've gotten used to that anyway, being gluten-free and all.

the Most Frustrating Thing about being sugar-free? Unsweetened Soy Yogurt is so expensive & hard to find! it seems silly to me that such a basic product isn't more available...

here's a question: has anyone tried Coconut Syrup? I stumbled across it yesterday and the label claims that it's "healthier than agave"... at $9.99 a bottle I'm not about to switch, but I am curious.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:09 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

ironically, I've been doing tons better ever since I decided to enact a new plan of 'everything in moderation' instead of forbidding myself from anything, since that has stressed me out to the point of going on crazy binges before. I've had a couple granola bars, but other than that I've been sugar AND sweetener free since the 8th! :D haven't had any cravings either, not even when there are sweets around. yaaaaay, I'm so proud of myself!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:43 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Alina wrote:
ironically, I've been doing tons better ever since I decided to enact a new plan of 'everything in moderation' instead of forbidding myself from anything, since that has stressed me out to the point of going on crazy binges before. I've had a couple granola bars, but other than that I've been sugar AND sweetener free since the 8th! :D haven't had any cravings either, not even when there are sweets around. yaaaaay, I'm so proud of myself!

congrats!! and I absolutely agree about moderation. If you're serious about making a sustainable commitment to your health, the solution is to take things slowly and not expect too much from yourself all at once... going "Cold Turkey" just leads to cravings, binging, and guilt. Healthy choices should be associated with feelings of self-love, not self-denial.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:01 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Okay, totally ate sugar last night and today. Going to eat some more tonight and then I'll be back to no sugar until the end of the month. I feel like this is really helping me get over those insane dessert cravings I would get right after dinner or if I was a little bit hungry in the afternoon. I feel great!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:34 pm 
Hip Goiter

Ugh I've been a terrible sugar sugar hippo for about a month (lots of "vacation" and "celebration") and I feel like shiiiit. Need to get back on track!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:54 pm 
Semen Strong

Me too.

My medical results show that I'm likely diabetic (going for my glucose tolerance test Tuesday) and my triglycerides are high, up from the healthy levels they were at last year.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:04 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Anyone ever try Nutlettes cereal by Dixie Diner? I'm gluten free as well as trying to cut down on sugar so I'm wondering if it's any good. I had Bob's Red Mill Mighty Good cereal today. Not bad but I like some crunch to my cereal. Maybe mixing the nutlettes with it would be good.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:54 pm 

I've been eating sooo much fruit lately, but it's been really killing my cravings for baked goods! Yay!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:16 pm 
Semen Strong

Did great all day until I had an unfortunate collision with Capt'n Crunch. I tend to hit the sugar when I am tired.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:42 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

Welllllll... I had a buccaneer/go max go bar for the first time yesterday. WORTH IT. Back to the no-sugar lifestyle, I guess!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:03 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

So far so good after last weekend. It was kind of tough when I was having dinner at a restaurant that has really great baked goods, but whatever. I think it's really helping me lose weight, but I wanna know when I'm going to get amazing clear skin, damnit!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:25 pm 

What do you guys usually eat for breakfast? I'm struggling with this meal especially. I live in residence and am required to buy a meal plan. I have 10 meals a week and I usually use for most of them for breakfast, but unfortunately they really only have cereal (which all have sugar), lots of fruit, instant oatmeal, and toast and bagels. I've been eating fruit most mornings, but it's not always filling enough.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:40 pm 
Semen Strong

We do green smoothies with a banana, kale, almond milk, almond butter and added soy protein. If you can get a little blender and get the almond/rice/soy milk, banana, pb from the dining hall and blend in your room, that would give you a solid breakfast to get you through the morning. There are also companies that sell dried greens like Barleans that you could mix in.

Otherwise, I'd suggest getting oatmeal and adding peanutbutter. That extra protein helps a lot.

I just had a chocolate, banana, almondbutter smoothie and it was amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:47 am 

Tofulish wrote:
We do green smoothies with a banana, kale, almond milk, almond butter and added soy protein. If you can get a little blender and get the almond/rice/soy milk, banana, pb from the dining hall and blend in your room, that would give you a solid breakfast to get you through the morning. There are also companies that sell dried greens like Barleans that you could mix in.

Otherwise, I'd suggest getting oatmeal and adding peanutbutter. That extra protein helps a lot.

I just had a chocolate, banana, almondbutter smoothie and it was amazing.

Greens smoothies sound like a great idea! The only peanut butter they have in the caf is the Kraft kind with all the added stuff, but I do have some natural peanut butter in my room.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:15 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I usually have oatmeal with bananas or half of a diced apple with cinnamon, or a green smoothie.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:48 pm 
Chip Strong

I'm doing this again because I liked it the first time but gradually lapsed, and I've been super irritable and bisque-y lately and want to see if it will help.

So today I had unsweetened soymilk in my coffee, leftover tofu scramble with spinach, a gimme lean sausage patty and some berries for breakfast, and I just made a big bowl of quinoa and black beans with tomatoes and guacamole (the fat should keep me full and maybe less cranky as I wean myself of the sugar, hopefully). I also find that the Polar sparkling waters with fruit essence help me feel like I'm having something more than plain water with my food (yay for peach and strawberry!) later I am thinking of doing some kind of pasta with broccolini and the buffalo tempeh from AFR.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:47 pm 

So much sugar this weekend, ah! Need to get back on the wagon now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:32 am 
Chip Strong

You know what? It's day 2 of no sugar, and right about now I would normally be having a mild anxiety attack, and I feel pretty even-keeled and good. Is there a connection? Also: I gotta say, the oatmeal I had this morning with just almonds and dried cranberries and soy milk was totally edible.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:48 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Lixa wrote:
You know what? It's day 2 of no sugar, and right about now I would normally be having a mild anxiety attack, and I feel pretty even-keeled and good. Is there a connection? Also: I gotta say, the oatmeal I had this morning with just almonds and dried cranberries and soy milk was totally edible.

Ooo good idea. Adding almonds to my oatmeal tomorrow morning.

I felt totally fine my first week without sugar. I expected to be a total cranky face, but I was fine.

However, I had sugar over the weekend. I don't know why, really. I wasn't craving it that bad or anything, I just kind of wanted it and gave in. I guess I'll just get back to normal next week.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:59 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Lixa wrote:

i find oats w/o sugar really bad generally but i used some dried cherries the other day and it was good!

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:38 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I'm back in. Did ok last summer with you guys, then fell off. First week of January I did great then started putting cream and sugar in my coffee. Slippery slope that is. I haven't been baking or anything, never did much 'cause I'm single and I will eat all them cupcakes, thankyouverymuch. Tomorrow is a new day!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:19 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I've been painting my house and haven't had time to cook, so I've kept it mostly good with bananas, avocado sushi, gf bread with pb and black beans tacos. But then I discovered fruit-flavoured tapioca at my local grocer and I can't stop eating them, they all contain sugar as well as fruit, boooooooo!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:30 pm 
Hip Goiter

I have made the magical frozen cherry/banana/cocoa/almond milk goodness 4x in 7 days.

Laughfrodisiac

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 735 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 30  Next