| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 735 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: The no-sugar support thread
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:32 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I neeeeeed to make a green smoothie, it's been 2 weeks since my last (ha, that sounds like a confession!) And I ran out of frozen cherries, so sad.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:48 pm 
Chip Strong

I need a new blender, stat. I was thinking of getting a Tribest because it's supposed to be easy to clean and that's key for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:58 pm 
Saggy Butt

well, i was 3 weeks without sugar and didn't realize how great i felt until i baked cinnamon buns for a gift. and ate 2 (with extra icing, ohh) in a row. my oh my, did i feel terrible. actually, i felt like i was on top of the world for about half an hour, until my stomach felt awful, brain fog set in, and anxiety that i hadn't felt in weeks came back. followed by exhaustion that i swear stayed until the next day.

to feel better the next day, what did i do? thawed frozen chocolate chip scones. repeat cycle.

i'm starting to feel better today, 2 days later. i'm happy i can now recognize how much better i feel (mentally and physically) when i stick to whole foods and no refined sugar! a few dates with almond butter, licorice tea, fruit, etc..... yes please.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:08 pm 
WELFARIST!

Every single time I eat sugar I end up feeling like crepe, mentally and physically. I don't know how people eat a lot of sugar. I barely ever eat it so when I do it effects me greatly (in a negative way) so I try to avoid it. Lately, I've been a bit sugar crazy and my mind and body went out of wack again so now I'm trying to stay away from it again.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:34 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Alright, I watched Sugar: The Bitter Truth, and I've read the last 17 pages, and I'm convinced this is what I need to do. I've gained a ton of weight over the last two years (seemingly inexplicably) and I just don't have good energy levels like I used to have. I tend to use sugar and caffeine as a pick me up in the afternoon at work, and I've been snacking a lot more late at night on sweet stuff.

So today was my first day relatively-sugar free. I had sprouted whole wheat toast with peanut butter for breakfast (and again for a snack in the afternoon), some leftover fried rice and a HUGE chopped salad for lunch, and I'm looking forward to something savory and filling for dinner. I feel really good about this decision, although I'm sure it'll get really hard in another day or two.

I'm so inspired by everyone's ideas and successes!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:24 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

yay, everyone here is so inspirational! i think i am ready to make this change again. i'm in the process of moving into a new apt, so come the first week of feb, i'll be all over this! the only hard part will be coffee... i work at a coffee shop that uses sweetened soymilk :( i usually get lattes with just soy and espresso, no sugar, but i might have to switch to americanos and drip with my own almond breeze in the employee fridge.

anyway- so excited to do this! i think i will add in a lot of raw, because i find that decreases my taste for sugar too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:33 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Hey everyone... tomorrow will be day 30 of my cleanse, meaning I've gone 30 days without caffeine, gluten, alcohol, and sugar! I can't believe I made it... I even made my bf banana split cupcakes without trying one.

one thing I made to help with sugar cravings was a peanut butter banana smoothie recipe I found online. I used 2 frozen bananas, a tablespoon of organic pb, a tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder, and some unsweetened soy milk (or even water). SO GOOD!

I have to say that I experienced immense energy levels this month. I am going to have something sweet tomorrow, but I am considering making sugar fasting a regular thing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:36 pm 

Wow, Queen Bean, I am so impressed! Good job!

I'm on day 4 of my "no sugar" experiment and I've had a couple of tough moments already (including one where I manhandled a bite of chocolate Almond Breeze ice cream away from my boyfriend -- but it was just one bite!). Although overall I'm really proud of myself -- I went out last night for a friend's birthday and didn't have any alcohol (which has never happened before!). I drank sparkling water with lemon and lime the whole night and felt just fine.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:49 pm 
Hip Goiter

Ughhh I made a brother a birthday cake a few days ago and eating it with the family totally messed me up. I feel so sick. I haven't been sugar-free in a while, but I have very little, usually as pieces of chocolate after dinner. But the blindingly sugary cake (root beer float) and the frosting and the ganache - ughhh. So hurt today. They liked it, at least. I really need to get back on the sugar-free track because the past few months I have been feeling unbelievably shittastic. Must change things!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:50 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

You can get back on track, Randi! It's hard when you have to make cakes, I have a bake sale in the near future :/

marmoset wrote:
Alright, I watched Sugar: The Bitter Truth, and I've read the last 17 pages, and I'm convinced this is what I need to do. I've gained a ton of weight over the last two years (seemingly inexplicably) and I just don't have good energy levels like I used to have. I tend to use sugar and caffeine as a pick me up in the afternoon at work, and I've been snacking a lot more late at night on sweet stuff.

So today was my first day relatively-sugar free. I had sprouted whole wheat toast with peanut butter for breakfast (and again for a snack in the afternoon), some leftover fried rice and a HUGE chopped salad for lunch, and I'm looking forward to something savory and filling for dinner. I feel really good about this decision, although I'm sure it'll get really hard in another day or two.

I'm so inspired by everyone's ideas and successes!

Great work, marmoset! P.S every time I see your name/avatar I will think of the marmoset song! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:59 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Oh man! I was doing so good, but it was my birthday over the weekend and I met a friend for dinner on Thursday and we split a piece of cake. I think I ate most of it. I did better over the weekend, had a sugary couple of coffees, but that was okay. BUT today! Today my lovely coworker went out of her way to make me vegan brownies, which was so sweet of her, but I ate 3!! In like, 2 hours. I nearly fell asleep at my desk and have felt like crepe since. I had a Moutain Dew to combat the slump, god I feel gross.

Tomorrow is a new day.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:57 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I've been doing pretty good with limiting my sugar intake, but I find I've been eating a LOT of salt. What are some of your guys' favorite no-sugar, low salt snacks? Besides fruit and veggies of course :), I'm eating lots of those.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:01 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

Back on track starting today. Y'all have been so inspiring, and frankly, I let the holiday excitement go a bit to far, and just fell back into my old habits. And felt like shiitake as a result.

I was watching some nutritionist on one of the morning shows yesterday, while I was eating breakfast, and the stuff he was telling people to do, with regards to sugar, made me want to slap him. Basically his whole schtick is to eat no more than 15g of sugar a day. So they had this woman on and he was going through her shopping cart, and when he got to the apples and bananas, he said that only high school football players should be eating them because they are so high in sugar, and that she should stick to berries. I mean, it sort of makes sense, but also, if she's eating the apple instead of the candy bar, let her eat the damn apple.
VeganMeredith wrote:
I've been doing pretty good with limiting my sugar intake, but I find I've been eating a LOT of salt. What are some of your guys' favorite no-sugar, low salt snacks? Besides fruit and veggies of course :), I'm eating lots of those.

Sadly, when I was doing this before, I replaced my sugar intake with hummus. On crackers, veggies, a spoon, it didn't matter. One I'm going to try and do more is roasted chickpeas with different spices and just more raw nuts/seeds. And I know you said no fruits/veggies, but dates stuffed with no-salt added almond butter is one of my favorite snacks ever.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:22 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

gaia13 wrote:
Back on track starting today. Y'all have been so inspiring, and frankly, I let the holiday excitement go a bit to far, and just fell back into my old habits. And felt like shiitake as a result.

I was watching some nutritionist on one of the morning shows yesterday, while I was eating breakfast, and the stuff he was telling people to do, with regards to sugar, made me want to slap him. Basically his whole schtick is to eat no more than 15g of sugar a day. So they had this woman on and he was going through her shopping cart, and when he got to the apples and bananas, he said that only high school football players should be eating them because they are so high in sugar, and that she should stick to berries. I mean, it sort of makes sense, but also, if she's eating the apple instead of the candy bar, let her eat the damn apple.
VeganMeredith wrote:

Sadly, when I was doing this before, I replaced my sugar intake with hummus. On crackers, veggies, a spoon, it didn't matter. One I'm going to try and do more is roasted chickpeas with different spices and just more raw nuts/seeds. And I know you said no fruits/veggies, but dates stuffed with no-salt added almond butter is one of my favorite snacks ever.

I just discovered dates with peanut butter and it was fabulous, I'm sure dates with almond butter would be just as good if not better!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:56 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Queen Bean wrote:
Hey everyone... tomorrow will be day 30 of my cleanse, meaning I've gone 30 days without caffeine, gluten, alcohol, and sugar! I can't believe I made it... I even made my bf banana split cupcakes without trying one.

one thing I made to help with sugar cravings was a peanut butter banana smoothie recipe I found online. I used 2 frozen bananas, a tablespoon of organic pb, a tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder, and some unsweetened soy milk (or even water). SO GOOD!

I have to say that I experienced immense energy levels this month. I am going to have something sweet tomorrow, but I am considering making sugar fasting a regular thing.

Were you on Kris Carr's Crazy Sexy Diet cleanse thing?

I've been doing this for 15 days and the hardest challenge BY FAR for me has been giving up sugar. I've had some occasional dates, but that's it really. I've been a lot less depressed/anxious lately, so I think after the cleanse is over, I'm going to cut out refined sugar for good and just do agave, maple syrup, dates, etc. Yay for feeling better!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:04 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

After the weekend it's time to get back to doing the no sugar thing, but I don't want to. WAHH! I know it's the best for me but I'm still in Portland mode where I was eating sweets 2 or 3 times a day. I had my usual sugar-less oatmeal for breakfast this morning, we'll see if I can make it to the end of the end of the day.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:28 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

VeganMeredith wrote:

Spicy roasted chickpeas are one of my favorites. I also like to make burgers out of black beans, chickpeas, lentils, or pretty much any combination of delicious beany things, oats, nooch, and spices and eat them like cookies.

I also finally threw out my nearly full container of Sriracha today. Nobody else wanted it (crazy!) and I'm definitely never going back to eating sugar. Still, it made me kind of sad.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:37 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Jinkies! wrote:
I also finally threw out my nearly full container of Sriracha today..

Sriracha has sugar? feck.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:36 am 

mishka wrote:
Sriracha has sugar? feck.

It's actually the second highest ingredient. The stuff's loaded with sugar. I switched over to another brand that just has peppers, vinegar, and salt.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:31 am 
Hip Goiter

What brand?

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:44 pm 

I'm using Crystal, but there are a bunch of them out there with no sugar. I think even Texas Pete is made without sugar.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:51 pm 
Saggy Butt

Any hot sauces that are more like sriracha, instead of the ones you mentioned which if I recall correctly are more southern US style? Not that it matters much anyways, not eating salt or sugar has made me so much more receptive to flavors, that I think if I ate something with as much sriracha on it now as I used to, my mouth would become enveloped in flames.

I'm entirely without sugar for the next two weeks, at which point I'll start eating some fruits (you guys have me going crazy talking about eating bananas and peanut butter, neither of which is okay on the candida diet!). Doing this cleanse has really made me realize how addicted I am to sugar, even though all my life I seemed to use less sugar than most people. Maybe I'm more susceptible than others to the rush and the low - eating storebought cookies always made me feel horribly ill, since I grew up on my mom's very low-sugar baking. Is that how it works? Some people are much more affected than others?

Anyways, this cleanse has made me realise that I don't want to go back to sugar. I like being able to taste things. I feel more clear-headed, at least when I'm not having fantasies about donuts. I've decided that once I stop being totally sugar-free, I'm going to start buying maple syrup and medjool dates, because both are so expensive that I'll be forced to use them in strict moderation. Seeing sugar as a rare treat is a really hard thing to get used to I suppose - blame the Elizabethans!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:20 am 

Vegan Candida Diet wrote:
Any hot sauces that are more like sriracha, instead of the ones you mentioned which if I recall correctly are more southern US style? Not that it matters much anyways, not eating salt or sugar has made me so much more receptive to flavors, that I think if I ate something with as much sriracha on it now as I used to, my mouth would become enveloped in flames.

I found this ingredient list for Sriracha online: Chili, sugar, garlic, salt, distilled vinegar, potassium sorbate and sodium bisulfite as preservatives, and xanthan gum.

The only differences between Sriracha and the Crystal I'm using now are the sugar and the last few junky things in Sriracha. There's probably some difference in the chilies and vinegar that I'm unaware of, but that doesn't seem to be a big deal. I've been really happy with Crystal.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:36 pm 

question! how well do green smoothies keep in the fridge? because I really want to start having these for breakfast but wouldn't want to wake up my roommate with the blender since I get up way earlier than her. would they be ok if I made them the night before?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:26 pm 
Hip Goiter

I haven't had good luck with putting them in the fridge bc mine are usually thick, and they get...mushygross. I have frozen some and left them in the fridge to defrost overnight so they are ready in the morning, but it is never really good. Maybe other people have better luck?

Laughfrodisiac

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 735 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 30  Next