| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 735 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: The no-sugar support thread
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:00 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I went to a party last night and had some cookies and sweetened coffee after being low-sugar for the past two weeks. I didn't go overboard with the sweets there at all (only two cookies), which I was pretty proud of. Also, surprisingly, I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I thought I was going to, and since having a little sugar I feel I can go a long time without another treat.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:16 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I think my cravings are all mental, since I am consuming a few products with sugar (silk creamer in my yerba, iced tea with agave), so it's not like I have the shakes. It's just a 'don't know what you've got 'til it's gone' thing.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:05 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

okay, so i'm not no-sugar (though i am only adding sugar to my coffee - i think that's it for me) but my favorite breakfast smoothie - i'm hooked!

1 cup soymilk (i use kikkoman unsweetened)
~1 cup blueberries
1 banana
1-2 tbsp nutribiotic rice protein powder, vanilla

it's creamy and smooth and so yummy.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:30 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Anek wrote:
Today I had a huge green smoothie for breakfast (btw, how much smoothie do you normally drink in one go? Mine was 3 cups and I felt bloated afterwards. Is that a normal amount? It was a banana, an apple, an orange, and two handfuls of spinach) plus green tea, which I never drink with sweetener so I'm fine.

Mine is usually between 1-2 cups, I use 1-2 bananas, 250ml water, big handful of baby spinach and then sometimes 1/4C frozen fruit or a tablespoon of cocoa powder.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:54 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

i've just started a sugar free diet, thoughts of anti- candida, but want to get rid of carbs (gluten and sugar). I have been having such severe cravings as of late and they make me feel worse. Its gonna be rough. I'm gonna try without fruit for a few weeks to see my reaction. I will continue to use small amouts of stevia.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:38 pm 
Saggy Butt

I used xylitol in my tea and breakfast porridge for a while to get used to the lack of sugar. I was told by the people I bought it from that it can have a laxative effect if you use too much, but I never had a problem with that. I can tell you how I DID ultimately kill off my sugar cravings: after a week of not being able to think of anything but donuts, I decided to make cookies that would be okay on my diet. I subbed xylitol for the sugar, almond meal for the flour, and used tahini to thicken it up a bit. The cookies were awesome, but a few hours after I had eaten a couple of them I began to feel nauseated. I ended up having really bad flu-like symptoms for the next 24 hours, and just had to lie in bed doing nothing until I felt better. I think I just had too much xylitol in one go. At least I didn't shiitake myself though, thankfully.

I think I've said it before, but the best cure for a cookie-craving in my experience is nut butter. It's awesome on buckwheat bread, but I didn't discover that for a while. For a few weeks I was eating plain refrigerated macadamia nut butter straight out of the jar. That was the only thing that did it for me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:14 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

Anek wrote:
Today I had a huge green smoothie for breakfast (btw, how much smoothie do you normally drink in one go? Mine was 3 cups and I felt bloated afterwards. Is that a normal amount? It was a banana, an apple, an orange, and two handfuls of spinach) plus green tea, which I never drink with sweetener so I'm fine.

Mine are normally about 3 cups, sometimes a bit more. I've built up to that much green smoothie, though. I started with a small one and have gradually built up how much I put in it over time,and haven't noticed any adverse reactions. I also drink a ton of water throughout the day, and a big glass first thing, so maybe that helps move things along as well.

Guys, the most amazing thing happened tonight. I have had a craving for french onion soup for a long time, and the only reason I've put it off is because I didn't want to chop up all those onions since cutting up one usually makes me cry and have puffy red eyes. I mean, my brother once asked if I was high because he happened to stop over while I was chopping up an onion for chili. Anyways, I digress, tonight I cut up about 8-10 onions, and I didn't cry!! My eyes weren't all itchy afterwards either. I had always heard that if chopping onions makes you cry it's because you eat too much sugar and there is some sort of reaction with the enzymes in the onions and you. I always thought it was a bunch of shiitake, but now I'm starting to think that there may be something to it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:30 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I thought all the fibre I was eating would be helping to keep me regular but I've been constipated for the past few days. Has anybody else had the same problem or am I just weird?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:14 pm 
Saggy Butt

Yup. Spoonful of coconut oil should get you moving again. Less disgusting than it sounds, but still pretty unpleasant. It's only been a problem for me occasionally, I've been taking it as a reminder to eat more broccoli.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:22 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Cool thing with the onions, gaia13! I'd never heard of it.

Day 6 and all is fine! I was almost seriously thinking of chocolate this afternoon but I resisted. Yay!
And I do like hummus for breakfast, really. I'm a totally sweet breakfast person, but I'm getting used to it. Maybe I'm becoming German... :-)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:03 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

i'm so overwhelmed by this thread because it's exciting! just a word on fruit - that part really killed me at first. i used to eat hella dried apricots till i realized they are some of the highest sugar toters in the fruit world. try initiating a love affair with berries, which are lower in sugar and higher in fiber than some other fruits.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:39 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

This thread is awesome. I've been avoiding it-since I luuurve sugar and wondered what the heck was up with you all. And then I read the first few pages and watched the Sugar-The Bitter Truth video and I think I've been somewhat converted. I'm not going to force myself to not eat all processed sugars, but I'm definitely reducing-I bought unsweetened Almond milk. I don't like the taste, but I've been adding a little banana to it, which may or may not be successful. I have to play with the amount. (This is for cereal eating, after all) I've been eating bananas and natural applesauce and natural peanut butter (only 1g of sugar) and rice cakes with peanut butter and good veggies/fruits. I feel way better these last two days and the cravings haven't been ridiculous as of yet.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:14 pm 
Saggy Butt

Carob powder mixed into unsweetened almond milk is my new favorite thing. Unsweetened carob powder of course! It's naturally a bit sweet. For some reason it's great cold, but I don't like it hot, maybe because it seems like bad hot chocolate when it's warmed up.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:29 pm 
Chard Martyr

pinecone wrote:
i'm so overwhelmed by this thread because it's exciting! just a word on fruit - that part really killed me at first. i used to eat hella dried apricots till i realized they are some of the highest sugar toters in the fruit world. try initiating a love affair with berries, which are lower in sugar and higher in fiber than some other fruits.
For me, I look at the package and see if they add sugar to the fruit. Some do and some don't. Fruit is naturally kinda high in sugar, but some companies add extra sugar to dried fruit, in addition to what is already naturally there. I don't mind dried fruit as long as it doesn't have added sugar! Trader Joe's dried mango is one of my favorite things, but I have to make sure to get the one that doesn't have the added sugar.

Congrats on feeling better, lillianp! I tried to be all sugar-restrictive and it didn't work for me, so little changes like you're doing is how I'm approaching it this time. It's much easier for me the less/low sugar/trying to not consume processed stuff route than the no-sugar way.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:52 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Well, that's my first week down. I'm kind of suprised at how easy I found it. My only problem is it takes a little more effort to find things to eat- no more jam on toast, no shop bought tomato sauce because it all seems to have sugar added. Basically it's stopping me being so lazy which I suppose is a good thing. I was suprised at how many things I discovered I liked fine without sugar, I thought I was going to have to give up oatmeal too just because I always used to hate it without sugar but with a banana mashed in it's sweet enough. I'm not planning on doing this permanently but when I do go back to sugar I'll certainly be a lot more reserved in adding it to things.

I've lost a couple of pounds this week and whilst I'm not doing this to lose weight it would be a nice side effect if I could lose a bit more. I've noticed that my skin is a little better too but I'm not really sure if that's to do with the diet change or just because it's having one of its rare good weeks. The first week felt kind of like finding my feet and at some points it felt a bit like replacing sugary bad food with fatty bad food so I'm hoping that in the second week I can plan a bit better and be a little healthier.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:19 am 

First week donw for me too, it went quite well without cravings or other issues. I do plan to start eating chocolate again at some point, and I have jars and jars of homemade jam to consume, but I like this new eating style.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:05 am 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

pinecone wrote:

For me personally, I'm not worried by the high sugar content in fruit because of all the other good stuff that comes along with it. I buy dried fruit that is fruit only, of course, but I don't eat much dried fruit either since we're starting to get a wider variety of fresh in the markets.
eryn wrote:
Well, that's my first week down. I'm kind of suprised at how easy I found it. My only problem is it takes a little more effort to find things to eat- no more jam on toast, no shop bought tomato sauce because it all seems to have sugar added.

I'm not sure where you're at, but I've seen no-sugar added jam, which is basically just fruit and sweetened with the fruit juices. As far as the tomato sauce, I buy the 365 organic mushroom and basil kind at whole foods, and it doesn't have any added sugar, just the sugar in the tomatoes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:19 am 

Meggs wrote:

Congrats on feeling better, lillianp! I tried to be all sugar-restrictive and it didn't work for me, so little changes like you're doing is how I'm approaching it this time. It's much easier for me the less/low sugar/trying to not consume processed stuff route than the no-sugar way.

Thanks! I had a slip-up last night, had a luna bar & some nature valley bars. I think that 'fried' food triggers me and I simply had to make the seitan smothered in ginger and apples that Isa has on this site. Left out the brown sugar, added only 1 tablespoon of maple syrup. But I still found myself giving in to my hunger cravings later with two nature valley bars and a luna bar. The cravings disappeared a little while later, which I was glad of.

Lesson: Don't eat fried foods, especially when you're not starving even if it means going out of your way to have dinner at an awkward later hour. Don't eat fried foods.

BUT, I followed the v'con seitan recipe (2nd attempt at seitan) and it WORKED SO WELL. I mean, there's definitely room for improvement but it wasn't super spongelike like the first one. :) So there is one thing to be proud of in the whole big mess. I think seitan in general needs to be an occasional thing though. So I probably won't make any for a while.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:53 am 

Why is it that after a week of no issues, now I reeeaaaaly want chocolate? I haven't given in yet, but I get these weird cravings and I don't know why. I haven't changed anything from last week! Dang.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:36 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I went a few days sugar free and quickly went back. Now, I'm eating tons of sugar. Which is really weird for me. I'm going to try not having any sugar besides in my soymilk (till I run out, I buy in bulk) and only stevia in my coffee. Unfortunately, I have two types of vegan ice cream and a daifuku (60g! Ridiculous) in my freezer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:29 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

It sounds to me like everyone is doing pretty well. This is hard! We should go easy on ourselves.

My biggest success thus far: drinking my morning coffee with just soy creamer and NO ADDED SUGAR. If you had told me two months ago that I would regularly drink coffee without adding sugar and like it I would have said you were super crazy. But now it just tastes normal. Also, Larabars, which are sweetened with dates and have no added sugar, taste very sweet to me and seem to fill my sugar cravings. Amazing.

(This is not to say that I didn't break down and eat half a bag of Dandie's marshmallows last week when I was having a particularly bad day. But it is to say that I felt violently ill afterward and am not likely to repeat that mistake.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:17 pm 

I'm being vaguely successful at being low-sugar. Although I had this weird inspiration to make apple-ginger cookies for whatever reason. I kept the sugar down to 3/4 of a cup... which made them quite muffin like. So I suppose that's good!

I've been eating Kashi 7 grain puffs (is that vegan? Because if it isn't, I"ll be sad... so I haven't done in-depth research) in the morning w/unsweetened almond milk. So no sugar in the morning, which I think has seriously aided in my eating habits for the rest of the day. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:38 pm 
Hip Goiter

Yeah I have been a sugar bum lately bc I am miserab. Then of course I feel like shiitake (like holy shiitake right now) and the cycle continuessss

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:21 pm 

I feel like shiitake right now. I have a carb problem-bread makes me eat more. And I also eat cookies. And I love baking, so giving up baking cookies just hasn't happened yet.

Also, I made Isa's cinnamon walnut fig waffles only with dates instead of waffles and my stomach cramped up painfully with gas. This has happened before with other foods, though I'm not sure which. I'm wondering if it's a flax seed thing? Because it's not wheat & it's definitely not sugar of some kind.

I really need to get back on the low sugar/no sugar wagon. Starting... NOW. Ok. I can do this!

And so can you! I promise.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:55 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

I'm currently participating in jae steele's sugar-free spring cleanse. You can read more about it here: http://veganverite.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... r-bye-bye/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 735 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 30  Next