| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 735 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: The no-sugar support thread
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:13 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

RandiJM wrote:
molasses jane wrote:
I'm interested in reducing my sugar intake too. One question: does no sugar = no baking? I love baking things like pumpkin and zucchini bread. Is there a way to sub the sugar and still have these things turn out? Or does no sugar = no baked goods at all?

Those two items would lend themselves well to using banana as a sub!

Thank you! Will try and report back!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:20 pm 
Hip Goiter

Meggs wrote:

Wow, G.T.'s has 4g per serving. That sounds like a lot, but it's not added sugar, I don't think...?? I'm guessing it's coming from the fruit juices?

Yeah I ALWAYS buy G.T.'s and now I know not to stray!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:12 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Meggs wrote:
Thank you, Kitteh, for the snack suggestions. I bought about 10 bananas last night. Do you think peanut butter (unsweetened, organic) is a suitable substitute for tahini for a snack such as the one you described? I've been looking at sugar content on labels now (as if I didn't already read them enough, just looking at another thing now)-- how much sugar is "too" much?

Definitely, I've been switching between tahini and natural pb on rice thins or gluten free toast recently.

pistachiorose wrote:
Guys, I have completed day 1 with no sugar whatsoever - not even in my coffee! But I have eaten 4 bananas, which is my record - in my own defense, it's pretty much the only fruit I can afford here. Two bananas in my breakfast smoothie, two as snacks later in the day. But now it's 11pm and I still have some schoolwork to do and I want something sweet soooo bad! But I will not give in. I will not!

Go you! And I eat 3-4 bananas most days :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:54 pm 
Tofu Pup

LebaLu wrote:
melisser wrote:
I'm not trying to be sugar free, but I would like to find some sugar free breakfast options! I am tired of cereals and non dairy milks filled with sugar to start my day.

I post this self-consciously because after 4 months of sugar free diligence and bliss, lately I have been sabotaging my goals. It's stress related, and it's damn annoying, but I am determined to get back to sugar free because it feels so much better!

Now, then. The question at hand. I am not much into savory for breakfast, so my focus tends to be trading out sweetened cereals/baked goods for no sugar alternatives. I love oatmeal for breakfast. I add chopped dates and/or chopped apricots, cinnamon, gingner, and occasionally a shot of vanilla extract. I cook it with unsweetened soy milk.

Really good ideas! I love oatmeal with some microwaved frozen peaches, cinnamon and soymilk (adding vanilla extract works great for me, too.)
I went off sugar for a month, but basically just did no desserty things. I still had regular soymilk, but found some brands (like Trader Joe's refrigerated) had less sugar than a lot of the more easily found ones.

I really need to get going on that again...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:31 pm 
Bends forks with mind powers

RandiJM wrote:
molasses jane wrote:
I'm interested in reducing my sugar intake too. One question: does no sugar = no baking? I love baking things like pumpkin and zucchini bread. Is there a way to sub the sugar and still have these things turn out? Or does no sugar = no baked goods at all?

Those two items would lend themselves well to using banana as a sub!

So, if I were baking muffins, could I completely cut out sugar, sub bananas, and still end up with edible muffins? I've been baking buckwheat muffins using a recipe that calls for 1/4 cup sugar, and I've been afraid to cut it out, lest I ruin them. The flour is $24 for 4lbs, so I am very, very careful when baking...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:43 pm 
Chard Martyr

Day one thus far:
Coffee is do-able without sweetener.
Oatmeal is not a good idea for right now; savory breakfasts are a better idea (thank you, pistachiorose!)
Apples and/or bananas and peanut butter are my new go-to snack, along with a handful of diced apples and raw almonds.

I'm going to have to keep going for "savory over sweet" (or anything I related to sweet in the past). That's going to be my new mantra for quite some time! I'm going to miss the ease of eating a Luna bar after a workout or when I'm on the road. An apple or banana will do just fine, though, I'm sure... right?

I appreciate all of the helpful advice so far!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:54 pm 
Hip Goiter

I can't give exact substitution recommendations (I tend to bake only for myself and have really low standards for sweetness...and goodness) but I'm sure you can find recipes or guidelines online.

My biggest problem is at night. For as long as I can remember, I can eat well and mindfully during the day, and then after dinner I just overeat on crepe, usually sweet things, and it makes me feel sick. I need to, overall, not feel the need to eat numbingly when I am already full, and right now work on at least trying to avoid sweet things at night. I need to find good fruit. (On a side note, I realized this evening that my produce guy charged me $6 extra for things I didn't buy!!! I'm very mad, and need to find new produce guy.)

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:22 pm 
Chard Martyr

RandiJM wrote:
My biggest problem is at night. For as long as I can remember, I can eat well and mindfully during the day, and then after dinner I just overeat on crepe, usually sweet things, and it makes me feel sick. I need to, overall, not feel the need to eat numbingly when I am already full, and right now work on at least trying to avoid sweet things at night. I need to find good fruit.

You are my sugar sister. Like I posted above, done well so far... but now is where we see what happens... it's after dinner, later at night...
Additionally, have insomnia, and when I wake up, I just eat mindlessly.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:28 pm 
Kale Wreath

Meggs wrote:
Day one thus far:
Coffee is do-able without sweetener.
Oatmeal is not a good idea for right now; savory breakfasts are a better idea (thank you, pistachiorose!)
Apples and/or bananas and peanut butter are my new go-to snack, along with a handful of diced apples and raw almonds.

I'm going to have to keep going for "savory over sweet" (or anything I related to sweet in the past). That's going to be my new mantra for quite some time! I'm going to miss the ease of eating a Luna bar after a workout or when I'm on the road. An apple or banana will do just fine, though, I'm sure... right?

I appreciate all of the helpful advice so far!!

Good job!

Day two breakfast: natto and rice with black coffee and a small-ish green smoothie.

For the evening sweet munchies, I'd recommend drinking lots of herbal tea throughout the evening. Licorice is especially nice (if you like licorice) because it has a sweet aftertaste.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:34 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I just had a sugar-free fail. I have a headache, I am tired and I can't figure out how to explain to baby Zoey "please play quietly, mommy is giving up sugar and doesn't feel so good right now". I made cupcakes. I ate 3. I feel sort of over-sugared and I am not going to eat any more. Tomorrow will be better! (hopefully)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:40 pm 
Hip Goiter

Zoey wrote:
I just had a sugar-free fail. I have a headache, I am tired and I can't figure out how to explain to baby Zoey "please play quietly, mommy is giving up sugar and doesn't feel so good right now". I made cupcakes. I ate 3. I feel sort of over-sugared and I am not going to eat any more. Tomorrow will be better! (hopefully)

It's ok! Whenever I've given in like that, it only reinforces an aversion to sugar. The next time you feel like having sugar, you might remember how bad it made you feel tonight.

HOWEVER, you have a baby, so give yourself a break!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:50 pm 

RandiJM wrote:
Zoey wrote:

It's ok! Whenever I've given in like that, it only reinforces an aversion to sugar. The next time you feel like having sugar, you might remember how bad it made you feel tonight.

Thank you. I do feel pretty crummy right now and since I documented it here I will remember that tomorrow when I start to think that sugar is a good idea.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:13 pm 
Chard Martyr

I'm starting to crumble. Reaching for fruit... whatever I can get my hands on. Just had some noochy popcorn.

I can't cave now...

Seriously, though, Zoey, if I do, we'll both just pick up tomorrow! It's a new day!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:09 pm 

I've already picked back up! Old me would have eaten more cupcakes because they were made, but new me told my husband to pack them up and he is taking them to the office tomorrow. Yay!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:59 pm 

Are you hanging in there Meggs?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:59 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

RandiJM wrote:
Zoey wrote:

I agree with Randi and it sounds like you've already sorted it out! Tomorrow is another day :)

Meggs wrote:
I'm starting to crumble. Reaching for fruit... whatever I can get my hands on. Just had some noochy popcorn.

I can't cave now...

Seriously, though, Zoey, if I do, we'll both just pick up tomorrow! It's a new day!

Keep reaching for the fruit and popcorn, you can do it!!

I'm watching The Great British Bake Off and all I want to do is bake, thankfully I'll be going to bed soon and only have to ignore my cravings for another hour!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:43 am 
Chard Martyr

Zoey wrote:
Are you hanging in there Meggs?

Thank you, Zoey! I did... barely. I ate a lot at night (normal) but nothing extra sugary! I'm sure the things I ate had sugar in them, but nothing overtly sugary like I used to! Woo! Lots of apples, almonds, peanut butter, and I ate a Daiya mozz wrap... but no sweets.

My body is NOT used to all of these fats. I feel like I've replaced sugars with fats. Oh well, we'll see what happens.

Day two coffee: still bland. I think I'm just going to end up giving up coffee, which is certainly not a bad thing!

Awesome how well you picked yourself up, Zoey! More willpower than I. I would have chalked it up to a bad day and kept on going--you're awesome!

Anyone have any new suggestions for day two's meals and snacks? I'm more of a snackish/ mini-meals throughout the day person. Maybe hummus is in my future today. What were these rice thins someone was speaking of?

Pistachiorose, how are you doing?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:22 am 
Kale Wreath

Nearing the end of day two, no ill side effects so far!

I've decided to just throw myself into whole foods sugar-free cooking. Part of the reason why I got into the no-sugar thing in the first place was because I became anemic and I think it was from not eating proper meals and eating sugary things instead. I think that focusing on healthy, nutrient-dense whole foods for fueling my body makes it less about what I'm giving up and more about what I'm getting into! I packed a lunch today and had dinner planned out already, so it wasn't too bad. Also, I signed up for vegan MoFo so I'm attempting to make more presentable/photograph-able meals and utilize Japanese ingredients more, which also helps with the no-sugar thing.

I went to the bookstore and got three cookbooks that are about Japanese Buddhist cooking (all vegan, as far as I could tell). Hopefully ignoring my budget and making the investment will motivate me to cook more - it's when I'm not armed with healthy alternatives that I cave. Then I got a bunch of healthy groceries and have some meals planned out. And I got a bunch of herbal teas for when I'm working late-ish and think I want to snack (trying to trick the brain).

So in short, so far so good! Hang in there Meggs, you can do it!

Oh, another suggestion: sometimes I eat frozen bananas. I find they somehow taste sweeter when frozen - it's my substitute for ice cream :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:32 am 
Kale Wreath

Meggs wrote:
Anyone have any new suggestions for day two's meals and snacks? I'm more of a snackish/ mini-meals throughout the day person. Maybe hummus is in my future today. What were these rice thins someone was speaking of?

A big ol' salad, a sandwich with hummus or grilled tofu and lots of veggies, a green smoothie, a wrap with vegan cheese, avocado and veggies, olive tapanade or sundried tomato spread on crackers, veggie sticks and hummus...

My plan for tomorrow is:

breakfast: green smoothie, hummus on crackers, black coffee
lunch: a broccoli/cauliflower salad with tofu dressing, half a sandwich with vegemite and tahini (my Aussie friend got me hooked on the stuff)
snack: a baked sweet potato, an orange
dinner: veggie hotpot with squash, cabbage, potato, fried tofu and shittake mushrooms
snack: frozen banana, herbal tea

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:33 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Another suggestion: carob. I know not everyone likes it, but it's really sweet on its own. My housemate has some kind of chai at the moment that has no black tea, but has carob and some other things in it, plus the usual chai spices. I'm not a huge fan of it, but I think it would really help with the cravings for sweetened tea (if you like chai).
I buy a locally-made sugar-free carob that is delicious, and there's other brands out there if you care to find them. Again, it's not for everyone, and it's certainly no replacement for chocolate - I find that if I don't think of it in terms of chocolate, but enjoy it in its own right, it's quite good. It's also got some good minerals in it, but at the moment it escapes me which ones.

I hope everyone's going really well! I'll also second pistachiorose's frozen banana suggestion - they really are like icecream, especially when you blend them up with a tiny tiny bit of non-dairy milk, vanilla essence, and possibly some carob or cocoa powder if you're feeling decadent. It's somewhere between a super-thick smoothie and icecream. Pieces of frozen banana are also just really delicious on their own.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:48 am 
Kale Wreath

gunk wrote:
Another suggestion: carob. I know not everyone likes it, but it's really sweet on its own.
Agreed. I don't have any carob here, but back home I'd mix it with hot sugar-free almond milk for a cocoa-type drink. It definitely hit the spot!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:53 am 
Bends forks with mind powers

I'm going to try frozen bananas! I love frozen grapes- they take longer to eat, too.

I like these for snacking: http://www.marysgonecrackers.com/ns/products.php
I got a bunch for free at VeganMania and I'll be sad when they're gone. I don't know how much they cost in the natural food store...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:44 am 
Chard Martyr

Thank you for all of the really great suggestions. I also think I don't eat enough really nutrient-dense foods; I eat convenience foods/things that are really simple and quick to make. Just made a decent new grocery list. A sweet potato sounds like it would really hit the spot!

I think they have the Mary's Gone Crackers at my local grocery stores... I'm sure they're expensive, but they make everything organic, vegan, gluten-free, etc more expensive. Forkers. Eating healthy should not be more expensive.

This frozen banana idea is fabulous. Totally going to do that tonight.

Aw, pistachiorose, I want to make you a care package and send you a bunch of good stuff that is easy and cheap here but apparently not there! Carob! I'm not hot on the idea of carob in my almond milk, but maybe I'll get there at some point. I miss my green smoothies: one day over the summer, I had a horrible reaction to one and I can't get it out of my head yet. I'll try again soon.

Zoey?? How are you doing?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:14 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Good job everyone! I'm using you all as inspiration as I pick myself up from a big bourbon cream fail... i swear these things don't even taste that amazing, i don't know what my obsession is about! the good thing is now that i've made sure they're not all that i can put this craving behind me and start afresh.

i had lovely healthy curry for dinner and that made it all better :D like someone said, i find that if i have healthy, filling meals i crave sweet things much less, especially at night (a danger zone for me too!) another thing I do sometimes is to cut up some fruit and keep it handy and ready to go so that i can reach for it before i even think of reaching out for sugary treats. oh, and i third the frozen banana suggestion! i love blending them and having "ice cream". herbal tea is a great suggestion too, i'm having some right now.

it also helps to not have ANYTHING bad in the house. make sure you eat an amazing meal before going shopping, and do it once a week only. the less you go to the store the less you'll be exposed to temptation!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:29 pm 
Chard Martyr

cosmiclettuce wrote:
it also helps to not have ANYTHING bad in the house. make sure you eat an amazing meal before going shopping, and do it once a week only. the less you go to the store the less you'll be exposed to temptation!

Wouldn't that be great? I have a problem, erm, mother staying with me until December. Although she is diabetic, she loves her sweets, and brings them into the house whenever she can! I introduced her to Luna bars, which is great, but not so great for me right now! I usually grocery shop daily or every other day rather than weekly, but you're so right- have to stay away! As long as I don't go to the grocery or just start baking, let's hope today goes like yesterday.... plus banana "ice cream."

Sweet potatoes are in the oven- so psyched!

Later....
Sweet potatoes consumed in various forms- so good! Once just plain baked with a little EB, then later, as a burrito filling! Banana in the freezer. This is an exciting day. (Doesn't take much.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 735 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 30  Next