| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 734 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: The no-sugar support thread
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:38 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I've been mostly sugar-free since Tuesday last week (right after Easter - not a coincidence!) and it's been going well! I feel very stable (no sugar highs or crashes...), my skin feels nice, and I have lost a bit of weight.

I'm avoiding everything that you could call a "sweetener" (sugar, agave, maple syrup, etc.), with the exception of molasses. I'm also allowing soy milk (I don't think you can even get unsweetened soy milk here) and bread... but that's all.

Does anyone have any good recipes for desserts that don't use bananas? Australia had floods up north recently and all of our banana crops seem to have been wiped out, which means they're WAY too expensive for me right now.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:36 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Nebraskalaska wrote:
The no sugar thing is going so well! I'm not craving anything too terribly. I feel a lot better and I've lost 2 pounds without really trying, it's amazing how much of a difference it makes.

However...the boyfriend is returning from DC with Sticky Fingers on Saturday so I'm going to have to make a little exception.

I think it's fine to have occasional treats, plus you might enjoy it more than if you ate sweets every day.

I haven't felt much difference other than not craving sugar all the time. I guess that is actually a big thing, because I have a major sweet tooth.

bird noises | book of faces

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:25 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Morgyn wrote:

I'm avoiding everything that you could call a "sweetener" (sugar, agave, maple syrup, etc.), with the exception of molasses. I'm also allowing soy milk (I don't think you can even get unsweetened soy milk here) and bread... but that's all.

If you can get the Australia's Own malt-free soymilk, or Pureharvest malt-free (my fave), then they're both unsweetened. Even if you get the malted versions, they have rice malt syrup, rather than cane sugar, which could be a slightly better option. We get all of those here in Perth, so it's worth a try in Canberra!

Good luck with your sugar-free-dom! Also, I am yet to find an awesome replacement for bananas. Summer 2011/2012 is going to be so hard!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:31 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

bunniee wrote:
Nebraskalaska wrote:
The no sugar thing is going so well! I'm not craving anything too terribly. I feel a lot better and I've lost 2 pounds without really trying, it's amazing how much of a difference it makes.

However...the boyfriend is returning from DC with Sticky Fingers on Saturday so I'm going to have to make a little exception.

I think it's fine to have occasional treats, plus you might enjoy it more than if you ate sweets every day.

I haven't felt much difference other than not craving sugar all the time. I guess that is actually a big thing, because I have a major sweet tooth.

Exactly! I refuse to pass of a rare opportunity for Sticky Fingers treats. I think it would just make me resentful and miserable.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:25 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Morgyn wrote:

Does anyone have any good recipes for desserts that don't use bananas? Australia had floods up north recently and all of our banana crops seem to have been wiped out, which means they're WAY too expensive for me right now.

Congrats on going sugar free!

As for good recipes, I don't have any, but dates might be a good alternative-maybe use them in place of bananas somehow? Though I'm not sure how successful that might be.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:18 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Hi, room! I have been on a mission this weekend to kick the sugar, and it's been going well (so far)! I will be here for for sure two weeks (or more) although I will be back now and then as lonmg as this thread exists! Love the inspiration!
veganverite wrote:
I'm currently participating in jae steele's sugar-free spring cleanse. You can read more about it here: http://veganverite.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... r-bye-bye/

Ohhh! There is a new one starting today, I'm doing it! Very excited to have the fb support group, I already posted on the wall so others can communicate too if they so choose!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:10 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Reviving this thread because I feel like it. Confession time: I made pancakes last night. With white flour and sugar. (No oil though) It definitely triggered food cravings, though I managed to stay away from mostly refined sugars otherwise. And I've been snacking.

Actually, what I came to say is, I think I'm doing better in general than I have before. I know i'm eating some refined sugar, but it's way down from what it was and I'm starting to recognize cravings and actually be able to say no. Have to love fruits instead. It's berry season-ish here so I should just eat an entire half-pint of raspberries or something.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:58 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Hopefully this doesn't double-post - my other one disappeared!

In sum: yesterday I had a no sugar day, including no alcohol. When I skipped my afternoon craving for sweets I ended up falling asleep for 3 hours! I think sugar may have been a way for me to stay awake even though my body is really tired. I'm still having serious cravings, but it feels good to be stronger than them.

With a few exceptions for weekend trips, I'm going to try to keep the no-sugar, no-booze thing going. If anyone wants to join, I am happy to have your back. I will post back later this week to keep myself accountable, too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:35 am 
Kale Wreath

I'm joining (again)! I just eat too much crepe when I'm not avoiding sugar. Especially when I'm too busy (which is always), I depend on sugar for the energy spikes and self-indulgence.

I'm on day 2 now, with no sugar except a minimal amount in my coffee (yesterday). I'm also trying to do a lot of raw (but not completely). Today I have a headache and feel kind of crappy... must soldier on!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:31 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Dredging up this old thread to say I'm on the no sugar, no sweetener bandwagon. Check ins, anyone?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:51 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

Discount, you are so awesome for bringing this thread back to life.

Working where I do means being surrounded by delicious, beautiful baked goods. I need some moral support! I've been really excited about eating any sugar being handed to me, and I'm over it now. It's been three days so far. Woot!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:28 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Yeah, holidays and cold weather are starting to poke their noses through the door. Talk about sugar-triggers... I'm on day two, with no major issues so far.

My sweetie made me raw cookies out of dates, almonds, unsweetened (duh) shredded coconut, and ginger root last night. Because she's the sweetest and she thought Day 1 might have been rough on me. She's being a champ about it.

Way to go, giraffe! Office sweets are hard to avoid.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:28 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

Those sound delicious, Discount. My office sweets are actually bakery sweets. I work in food service!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:03 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I just noticed you're in PDX too! Where do you work?

The cookies are super easy. Everything in food processor, whiz until evenish, form into shapes, refrigerate (or not), devour.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:07 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Just want to say I am so surprised how delicious steel cut oats are. They eliminate the need for me to add sugar or anything sweet to my oatmeal. I don't even have to put any toppings on it, as it is good by itself in a way that the quick cooking crepe does not even touch.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:37 pm 
Hip Goiter

OH man I really need to do this again. At least a little. Work --> stress --> craving chocolate/sweets at night and eating lots of shiitake, after a full day of eating well. Argh.

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:44 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

vegetable_assassin wrote:
Just want to say I am so surprised how delicious steel cut oats are. They eliminate the need for me to add sugar or anything sweet to my oatmeal. I don't even have to put any toppings on it, as it is good by itself in a way that the quick cooking crepe does not even touch.

I usually doctor my oats (quick or otherwise) with blueberries and cinnamon, but I'll try straight-up steel cut oats! I like the idea of a one ingredient breakfast.

I've been having at least two apples with PB a day. It's helping me through for sure. Day five, here I come.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:41 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

hello, Im on day 3. I started no sugar but will drink wine, and have even already done so. The holidays are over. Who else is down?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:00 pm 

Im not cutting out sugar to lose weight, but Im cutting out sugar in an effort to force myself to eat more whole foods, which will help me lose weight.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:58 am 

Im going to continue to pretend Im not the only one posting here (it IS the weekend) and write that Day 3 was easy. Im making breakfast right now. It is rice with raisins, cinnamon, and a splash of vanilla. I really want to try the frozen cherry chocolate smoothie, but cant find frozen cherries.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:21 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm on this bandwagon starting tomorrow...partly to get off this sugar high train I've been on for the past 6 months, partly to see if I can do it, and partly to see if it (along with eliminating gluten) alleviates my stomach bloating/pain. My future self is already craving chocolate!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:32 pm 

Yay! You can do it!
-Make sure you're eating enough food as well as protein.

Its already helping me to eat better even four days in. I will schedule a 'cheat' every few days. I don't want to go back to eating a lot of sugar at all. I'm noticing that not eating sugar is helping me to realize how much salt I eat.

I have no idea what I'm going to do when pms comes around.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:57 pm 

I waited too long to eat and now I want some candy or something. I should be ok in a bit. Just got done eating.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:43 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Today is my first sugar free day for the best month! Not trying to lose, I just noticed that I eat a ton of sugar and can't seem to help it. Any ideas anyone would like to offer as for meals/snacks would be greatly appreciated!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:54 pm 

I keep repeating myself, but I feel like my posts aren't coming out right. I trying to lose weight and get healthy without eating junk and counting calories. No sugar, or low sugar rather helps me do this. BUT while Im going through sugar detox, Im letting myself eat anything as long as sugar isnt in the ingredients. Baby steps.
P-J wrote:
Today is my first sugar free day for the best month! Not trying to lose, I just noticed that I eat a ton of sugar and can't seem to help it. Any ideas anyone would like to offer as for meals/snacks would be greatly appreciated!!

protein and naturally sweet fruits and veggies: hummus and baby carrots, bananas, smoothies, apple with sugar free pb. People have mentioned sweet potatoes as well.

Reply to topic  [ 734 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 30  Next