| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Poop :/
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:23 am 
Tofu Pup

Hello :)

Oh dear, what a subject to talk about but I am an avid watcher of the poop due to IBS. I have the constipation type and it could take me 3 days to go and they used to be pretty much ok in size, colour and texture.

Now that I have changed over to the vegan diet to help reduce the massive bloated stomach that looked 6 months pregnant, this has all changed and not for the better. It's now spongy, floats and is very pale too. My tummy gurgles and rumbles, gassy and it's still taking me 2-3 days to go properly.

I drink hot water and lemon in the morning before eating fruit and fibre with soy milk. Lunch will be slice of nut or seed roast with a mixed salad, snack on apples and bananas and dinner will be a veggie and lentil shepherds pie with onion gravy. Sometimes I'll have a banana and peanut butter softscoop icecream that I make myself. In between meals I drink water, hot water and lemon and redbush tea with soy milk.

Anything not looking quite right here? Anyone having the same problems?

I have started yoga (yesterday at home via Youtube) in the hope that my IBS gets better with exercise (I have fibromyalgia and anxiety).

Post subject: Re: New Poop :/
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:48 am 
Chard Martyr

How long have you been eating vegan? It might take a period of adjustment, especially with IBS.

It sounds like you are eating quite a bit of raw fibrous food. That doesn't always work wonders for my stomach. Did you just switch to soy milk? It's possible you don't tolerate soy very well. I would recommend eating more cooked veggies (make a huge pan of roasted veggies and eat them for both lunch and dinner), making a bit more of an effort to add some protein to each meal, eating cooked grains, and maybe trying a digestive enzyme (you can easily find vegan ones). If none of that works, go to a doctor or nutritionist! Yoga should help too. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:25 pm 
Tofu Pup

I have been vegan for a couple of weeks, so yes, my digestive system will take time to adjust.

Mmmm, the nut roast and shepherds pie aren't raw, only a salad/banana/apples are the raw part. I have protein in the form of canellini beans in the nut roast and lentils in the pie....

Could be the soy milk :/

I just wondered if anyone else had this when they switched diets.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:59 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

We might be able to offer better insight if you told us an average day from before you went vegan. :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:01 pm 
Tofu Pup

All's fine, just went again and it's back to normal. It seems that I might have a bit of an aversion to nut roast made with roasted peanuts but not to the one that I make with sunflower/pumpkin seeds :/

My average day before going vegan was fruit and fibre cereal with 2% milk for breakfast, lunch was a sandwich or wrap with ham/cheese/tomato pickle with cherry tomatoes and grapes on the side and for dinner it would be chicken with steamed vegetables and meat gravy or minced beef spaghetti with courgette/mushrooms/bell peppers and cheese garlic bread/salad on the side.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:15 pm 
Tofu Pup

I'm no expert, but I've had similar issues when losing weight quickly due to exercise. Upping my calorie intake seemed to help. I've also heard folks having this problem when they first went vegan. Seems like the sudden increase in fiber can take adjustment as well. Adding fermented foods can help, too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:32 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

It's a good idea to visit your doctor if you haven't already. This could be related to diet, or it could be something more serious.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:46 pm 
Tofu Pup

Thanks for the concern but I'm sure that it is the diet change, I have had my IBS for several years. Again, I'm not looking for medical advice, just asking if anyone else had the same thing :/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:18 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Floating and paleness can indicate that you aren't properly digesting fats.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:37 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Not the poo issue but I get foul gas from soymilk/other soy products. So the soy could well be the source of the gassiness. It's a shame because I like the taste of soy but I have to be careful to mix it in with enough other foods and not have too much at once.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:03 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Remember to up your water and liquids intake when increasing fibre, or else you can get backed up worse than before the fibre.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]