| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winter Weight Gain
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:27 pm 
Inflexitarian

So, last summer I lost ten pounds doing 5:2 followed by just general healthy eating.

Now I've gained back three pounds, and I feel like it's mostly because of the weather! It's so cold and sad outside, all I want to do is drink carbs and eat carbs and shiver under the covers. In the summer I love salads and smoothies, but I can't deal with that stuff right now. I've been considering doing 5:2 again, but even that seems like a summery thing (light soups and and salads, lots of cold fruit and veggies) that I couldn't possibly do in this weather. I think my body is trying to hibernate. Ugh.

What do you guys do to stay healthy when it's zero degrees and the snow's a foot high?

Post subject: Re: Winter Weight Gain
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:46 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I honestly just accept the weight gain for a little while. I track calories if I'm really feeling like it or add a little extra exercise (walking outside when it's light out helps my SAD) in. I'd say track your calories in/out (but calculate using TDEE, not say, Myfitnesspal. A good place to calculate is the health-calc (search that and you should find it).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:09 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I have a real up and down relationship with being able to accept my body at different weights. I have stopped dieting over the past 4 years, but I do have some extra pudge that creeps on in winter. Usually I am ok with it. Right now I'm not. I think it's a mental "this isn't fair" tantrum, since I am fairly active and have added some strength training to my winter and still feel chubby. I think I am going to start a food diary, and maybe focus on lowering my beer consumption.
I'm see what happens with that, then adjust as needed, I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:27 pm 
Inflexitarian

Yeah, I don't count calories all the time because of old ED issues, and most diets would be triggering for me. 5:2 was something that was distinctly untriggering for me (though I can see how it could be super triggering for other people with different ED issues). I'd rather be a bit pudgy than send myself down a really bad path again. But yeah, it's often hard seeing myself in the mirror.

I know I'm not eating well, but I just can't find the energy to do anything about it now. I was thinking about setting some positive eating goals (like... eat 5 servings of fruits and veggies everyday, that kind of thing) just to get me through until spring. I *miss* spring food... I miss salads and smoothies and iced coffee and long walks in the park with my dog, but I just can't right now.

I need to move to Florida.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:57 pm 
Chard Martyr

I totally can't even go near salads and smoothies for most of the winter (and sometimes the summer too!).

We make a ton of soups/stews/curries and roast a crazy amount of vegetables. It's warming, healthy, and you can pack a ton of veggies into soups! My weight stays pretty the same all the time, but I do find my body changes as I'm much less active in the winter, and I just forgive it. Easier said than done, but hugely empowering when you do succeed. :)

I have cooking lethargy so making a huge nice veggie-filled meal often feels impossible, but even if I just start by throwing some russets in the oven, the long bake time makes me want to be in my warm kitchen and then I often get creative with toppings and sides (kale with garlic and lemon, roasted chickpeas, roasted broccoli, maaaybe salad, sauteed mushrooms in wine wine with garlic and chilies, broiled marinated tempeh) and we usually end up with a pretty healthy filling meal. And this all begins with ZERO energy, just my husband's insistence that we can't afford to go out again for greasy noodles or falafel and fries.

But be easy on your self and let your body enjoy the extra warmth!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:22 am 
Inflexitarian

So, last night we had V-day dinner at a tapas restaurant, and I had the most amazing seared shiitakes and seared bok choy. Are seared and roasted veggies like winter's salad? Yum!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:59 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I put on 10lbs over the winter period. I have 5.5lbs of them lost now. I've been doing MFP (but upped the calories). I've been eating lots of soups, stews, curries and the occasional salad with cous cous and hot sauce. I've gone for roast veggies a few times too with pasta. Roast veggies are totally a winter salad!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:29 pm 

quark wrote:
I had the most amazing seared shiitakes

I read this with my PPK mind-filter active, just so you know. I was thinking you must have had a very spicy meal at the restaurant.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:24 pm 
Inflexitarian

GreenDuck wrote:
quark wrote:
I had the most amazing seared shiitakes

I read this with my PPK mind-filter active, just so you know. I was thinking you must have had a very spicy meal at the restaurant.

Oh my.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:01 pm 

I don't know about you guys, maybe it is just because for me it always goes away after winter, but I like the weight gain. I only gain a max of 10 lbs and then it gets lost without any effort when the weather warms up, so I think its natural and I don't want to fight my body because it will only bring up bad thoughts and make me extra cold anyway. It probably just happens because I am cold, and I need it or something. That being said, my high weight is still underweight, and i am still cold, so hmmpfh. At least in winter no one can even see an extra 10 lbs, with the coats and sweaters, don't worry about it you guys! I bet you all look cozy and wonderful as your winter versions.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:10 pm 
Inflexitarian

I wouldn't mind at all if it went away, but I've never lost weight without specifically trying. Pounds love to pile on me! But we're all different.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:33 am 
Nailed to the V

When i want to watch my eating I use the food plan from Vegan for Life. I make a card with the different categories and put a mark whenever I eat a serving of something. I usually do that for a few days just to check if my habits are good.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:40 am 
Inflexitarian

amonik, that sounds perfect!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:12 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i cant wait for the sun to reappear again. im so over the 10 feet of snow outside.
i had a great fall. i took the baby on a long walk every day walking like 3.5 miles while wearing her. i lost about 10 lbs just doing that constantly. i didnt really watch what i ate. i cant do both. i either have to exercise OR watch what i eat. both together is too stressful and depressing for me.

now it's been way too cold to take a baby for a walk for so long, we've both had colds, there's tons of snow and ice outside.
ive been eating cookies all winter long.

hurrumph

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:28 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I have been losing weight this winter, but less than I could've been and less healthfully than I could've been because every week there is a new giant storm preventing me from walking outside, which is kind of the only exercise I can cope with mentally right now. Super frustrating. I think it does take some special energy to keep you eating normal over the winter, or even to decrease a little to make up for the lack of exercise. I like eating a lot of soups in the winter in place of heavier meals, that helps a little anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:02 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

This winter has been particularly, even spectacularly, worse than normal in my area which has made it impossible to get my regular exercise (biking to commute to work). Even walking has been difficult. The lack of exercise leads to depression and over eating/drinking for me. Arg! And I managed to fall a few weeks back and sprain my ankle. I cannot wait for spring.

I really need to join a gym but I'm not thrilled about that option as gyms make me anxious.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:00 pm 
Tofu Pup

I think we all feel like that right now. You aren't alone. Can you explain to me what the 5:2 diet is? Are you a big dieter?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:28 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

LisaPunk wrote:
i didnt really watch what i ate. i cant do both. i either have to exercise OR watch what i eat. both together is too stressful and depressing for me.

I'm so relieved to hear someone else say this. I think this is very much the case for me as well.