| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Low FODMAP Diet anyone? (for IBS)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:38 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

So not to threadjack the "How is your body betraying you?" thread, I'm opening a new thread for anyone wanting to discuss/learn about all things FODMAP related. General IBS etc chat welcome too.

http://stanfordhospital.org/digestivehe ... andout.pdf

I only started looking at this elimination diet yesterday and have decided to wean myself onto it over the next few days, to give myself to buy the right foods and find recipes. So far I've discovered that Vital Wheat Gluten is acceptable on the diet, as it's the wheat protein and not the carbohydrate (which contains FODMAPS). If I can tolerate VWG, it should make things a bit easier.

I've also ordered some Lactobacillus plantarum on j-dub's recommendation and may look at Psyllium husk and Digestive Enzymes (I'm going to research into digestive enzymes more, to see if they can withstand stomach acid).

Post subject: Re: Low FODMAP Diet anyone? (for IBS)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:52 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I am interested in this for my son who was recently diagnosed with Crohn's disease. He is going to be on an enteral diet (formula meal replacement) for 12 weeks at least but when he comes off it I plan to keep track of his diet. He has had major gassiness in the past few months with vile odour, a great embarrassment for a teenager and unpleasant for everyone around him, along with his other symptoms. Some people with Crohn's do well on FODMAP and it doesn't look too difficult.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:04 am 

I hope it's a solution for your son Arisaig, must be pretty difficult for him!

I knew someone with Crohn's who had to go vegetarian, apparently any sort of meat/fish was a trigger.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:18 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I found this ebook with a 10 day meal plan to be helpful, there is one recipe for a quiche that has eggs, but all the rest are vegan. It is heavy on soy and seitan, but it's nice to have a little guidance: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/170446

Right now, some things I (soy- and gluten-free) am eating are:
Breakfast:
smoothies with protein powder
gluten-free English muffin
gf waffles

Lunch & Dinner:
Butternut squash Mac w/brown rice pasta (I have seen conflicting lists of whether squash and or butternut squash is considered low FODMAP, so...?)
Pizza w/homemade gf crust, pesto (without garlic), spinach, olives, capers, sun-dried tomatoes
Brown rice pasta with pesto
Quinoa with roasted sweet potatoes and parsnips and tahini-sesame oil dressing
Quinoa with steamed carrots and green beans and tahini-maple dressing

Snacks:
Orange
almonds
tortilla chips
coconut chips
Pop Chips

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:16 pm 

That's brilliant, thanks Kiddo!

I downloaded the booklet and will have a good nosy through it.

I'm confused about the soy though, the Stamford link says soy products are one of the foods to limit?

I had tofu omlette & baked beans for dinner last night, it was all I managed to make (the batter was in the fridge) and my tummy has been much better today. I've still felt a bit sick but not that burning sickness that makes me snack constantly. Hopefully, if this diet works, I can start to lose some of the weight I've put on this year.

Does anyone else find that they feel weak when their symptoms flare up? All I've managed to do all day is get a shower, do some laundry and the dishwasher, I'm wiped out now.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:58 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I recently read up on this related to my low-carb diet - that perhaps some people have elimination of various aggravating symptoms (I don't have IBS, I don't think, but did have a series of major gastrointestinal difficulties over several months in the past year) on a low-carb diet because what they really need is this FODMAPs diet. I thought (terrifyingly) that I might have a gluten problem and that was the source of my gastro stuff, but I do awesome on a low-carb diet with a heavy focus on seitan, so clearly not. When I've gone off my low-carb diet, I usually have both scary low blood sugar and gastro symptoms that follow. I'll be following this thread!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:54 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

My brother has just started this so I should learn a bit about it. He's already vegan and doesn't eat corn/wheat/gluteny things so the restricted diet thing isn't new to him, but it's all a bit confusing to me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:37 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

If you can have wheat gluten, maybe you can also have tofu, unsweetened soy milk and soy protein isolate? (Since it's soy without the fiber and carbs/sugar)

As Ariann pointed out, low-FODMAP is not the same as low carb, but maybe you can still get some inspiration from the low carb thread: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=23045&start=25

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:34 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Fezza, another book I have claims that most experts think that tofu and soy sauce are okay.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:57 am 
Bathes in Braggs

fezza wrote:
I knew someone with Crohn's who had to go vegetarian, apparently any sort of meat/fish was a trigger.

Oh man, I would love that - he is an omni. I think that by the time he finishes 12 weeks of no food, starting a somewhat restricted diet wouldn't be so bad.

Thanks for the link Kiddo. That is a big help.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:29 pm 

I do seem to be tolerating soy ok Kiddo. I've updated on the poop thread, I'll not sully this thread with TMI, but I had a victorious visit to the bathroom today. I'm not completely on the FODMAP diet yet, and don't know if it's just because my IBS has suddenly went from D to C, or if I'm successfully avoiding a trigger food, I think it might be the latter. The relief is outstanding! I'm also eating a lot less because I'm not eating to ease the nausea, whoo! I'll enjoy it while it lasts and keep eating based on FODMAP until I can pin down the culprit/s.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:42 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yay fezza! I'm glad you're feeling better!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:58 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I had been doing well until this weekend. I think I overdid it on baked goods; I baked gf bread and made gf gnocchi this weekend. The bread goes bad so quickly I just eat at it and that's a bad idea. So much bloating. I tossed and turned all night last night. It is time to keep a food/symptom journal :(

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:17 pm 

Urgh, sorry kiddo!

I do seem to have a better quality poop if I stay away from wheat, it's so difficult though!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:12 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Oops, I also realized that sweet potatoes are in the no-no category of one of the lists, so that may have also done it.

During the re-introduction stage, do you have to try everything in a specific group individually, or can they be done together? For example, if I'm doing the bean group, should I do one type at a time, or are they similar enough that it doesn't matter?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:08 am 

The Stanford list has yams as one of the good foods?

I have no idea about the beans, sorry. I would try some together if it's easier and then separate them if you have a reaction to any particular group.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:59 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I know, I have another book that is in conflict with that. I suppose I will just test them out again at some point.

Dinner tonight: salad nicsoise from AFR minus chickpeas and garlic in the dressing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:56 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I don't think fodmaps is really helping me. My constipation has remained the same. I have been avoiding gassy foods which is maybe helping me be more comfortable, but I'm going to start taking the laxitives the gastro recommended and hope that helps :/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:54 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I found this link on a Dutch vegan forum. The author is an RD. Looks very helpful for FODMAP meal planning: http://blog.katescarlata.com/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:04 am 

Ack, Kiddo, I'm so sorry it's not helping you! Have you tried taking daily doses of vitamin C to help the constipation?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:29 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Hmmm, I've never heard of vit c for constipation before! I have some that I take sporadically, it's worth a try! Thanks fezza, hope you are feeling well?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:39 pm 
***LIES!!!***

If you take too much, it'll give you diarrhea, though. Be careful!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:01 pm 

Yes, it's a simple but effective treatment. Maybe take the recommended dose at bedtime and see how it goes for a few days. You can increase the dose gradually or double up if you have a couple of days where you don't have to worry about leaving the house.

Something I've been eating this week has set me off again. I didn't realise pears and persimmons were high FODMAP and have been eating both, bah, I love puréed pear on my porridge in the mornings!

I paid for the Monash app today, it gives a great deal more information than anything I've seen on the net so far. The app has a traffic light system for foods and lets you add them to a shopping list as you go along. They have some recipes, a couple vegetarian/vegan, and you can add ingredients to your shopping list just by tapping beside them. It seems quite handy, hopefully the handiness of having it all collated in an app will make it worth the purchase.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:06 am 

Well, sticking to the low FODMAP foods is making a massive difference to me. I seem to be able to tolerate a certain amount of beans but overdid it yesterday and just feel miserable today. Hungry all day but finding food difficult, I also feel really lethargic and mentally low, I don't know if it's related or not.

The Monash app is great, makes shopping so much easier, well worth getting if you're following the plan.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:43 am 
Nailed to the V

Sooo I'm going to attempt to do 4 weeks on the fodmap elimination diet. I don't really know where to start except with oatmeal and bananas...

My phone is really crappy and doesn't have enough storage space for the monash app (it won't let me store apps on the SD card??) so I'm sticking to the (millions of different) lists on the internet.

I have seen things saying, Tofu is ok but not silken tofu - something to do with how it's made. Unfortunately I have no idea where to buy non-silken tofu here in the UK, even the "firm" stuff they sell is the mori-nu silken stuff.

I'm not really sure what to do about the protein side of things. I can have rice and potatoes and vegetables but...that's it? :/