| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: oil pulling
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:32 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

refined is what i've been using... to me it tastes/feels just like swishing water around after it melts - and it's quite a little workout for your face too :)

LisaPunk wrote:
right now i only have refined coconut oil and im not sure if that is the best kind.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:44 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I use vegetable oil for removing the sticky stuff left on plastic containers by labels. It is strong enough to break the glue down but mild enough to not damage the plastic. Perhaps it is this solvent like behavior (solvent is probably not the correct word here) that takes place in the mouth as well. Especially if we are talking 20 minutes worth.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:27 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i will be the first to tell you that i don't believe in toxins. i read the article. it may be woo, but it is woo that has made my gums a lot less miserable, and less bloody. (i also don't believe in magic, but acupuncture relieves my pain.)
i fail to see how it can be harmful (i can also get inhalation pneumonia from accidentally inhaling cookie crumbs, I don't think about this much), unless doing it stops you from getting dental care. For years I was told to use listerine, which irritated my gums more and more and more until i was basically just bleeding all the time, not just when i flossed. i was willing to rinse with just about anything (i've tried peroxide, herbal stuff, saline), so i tried it and after a while my dentist was impressed with the improvement. maybe it's just coincidental, maybe it's the fact i'm not putting alcohol into an open wound twice a day and then wondering why it doesn't heal. So I can't tell you why it works, and I can't present you with anything that would be considered an unbiased source, but I will continue to do it because it works for me, and side benefit is I'm not the Listerine junkie i used to be forking out more money to Johnson and Johnson.
I would imagine that the one way it could work is that it makes you do a much better job brushing, like those little blue or red tabs the dentists used to use.

I am taking a break from it because frankly i can't remember to do it in the AM. when i do it, i do it for about 5 or 10 minutes. while i check my email and FB- sometimes something makes me laugh and i need to spit it out.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:01 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i started tonight with some coconut oil.
since it's still really cold here it was solid and it took awhile for all of it to melt in my mouth so i was grossed out about that but after it finally melted it was fine. i swished for 10 mins while i was chopping vegs.

it kind of made my jaw sore so i stopped and rested every few swishes. maybe ill build up some good jaw muscles.

i took a picture of my teeth before i did it. if i actually remember to do it semi daily maybe i can take another picture in a few months.

i think there is some merit to some things people consider woo.

ive had success with both chiropractics and acupuncture

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:32 pm 
Inflexitarian

so anecdotal evidence:
My dude has horrific teeth. Like whoa-probably-gonna-end-up-with-no-teeth bad teeth. I started using essential oils, and he asked me about oil pulling because someone mentioned it to him. The last time he went to the dentist, they pulled two teeth, and his gums bled for a week. That was three years ago. He also didn't brush his teeth much in that time. The end of February he started oil pulling. He used (uses) unrefined coconut oil with a drop of peppermint essential oil. He just went to the dentist and nothing bled. When he does brush his teeth now, his gums do not bleed. The decay in his teeth seems to have stopped/slowed. They are only looking at needing to immediately pull four teeth at the moment. Before, three years ago, the term dentures was thrown around. I can't say that it was all the oil. I do know that the oil pulling has stopped his gingivitis. I still haven't tried it, although he keeps telling me it's good. It skeevs me out a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:47 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

i tried it - i did not find it as gross as i thought. i am using unrefined coconut oil...i get bloody gums to from the slightest toothbrush scrape. we will see how this goes!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:41 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i sneezed doing it yesterday. i did not make it to the toilet in time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:10 am 
Bathes in Braggs

oh no torque, sneezing + oil pulling is the worst!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:24 am 
Bathes in Braggs

oh, and a side-effect of oil-pulling i have noticed is that it clears out my sinuses. my mum says the same thing. i don't know why, but after i do the oil pulling, i spit out a pile of mucus (you're welcome) and within a week or so i have clear sinuses and my nose and cheeks actually look different. you'd think that + healthy gums would keep me doing it all the time, but like with everything, i lose interest until my body is screaming out for help again hahahaha.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:43 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

i sneezed while pulling today - on the keyboard! arghh!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:14 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

craiger_ny wrote:
I use vegetable oil for removing the sticky stuff left on plastic containers by labels. It is strong enough to break the glue down but mild enough to not damage the plastic. Perhaps it is this solvent like behavior (solvent is probably not the correct word here) that takes place in the mouth as well. Especially if we are talking 20 minutes worth.

Yeah, oils are a solvent, the word is right! This is the science behind it, I believe. Also, it's obviously moisturizing, and I can imagine gums appreciate that. I use vegetable oils to clean my paintbrushes after using lacquers and stuff!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:30 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ive been doing it for like a week and a half i think though i dont remember to do it every day and it's not nearly as gross as i thought it was.

i dont like having the solid chunks of coconut oil in my mouth but once its melted i barely notice it's there. i can do 10 mins no problem.

my husband thinks im cuckoo but that's nothing new

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:44 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I tried this today for the first time. Reaction in the first minute: "This is SO DISGUSTING. How on earth do people do this? OHMYGOD I'M GONNA VOMIT." Then it was just like swishing water. I lasted about 15 minutes before my gag reflex kicked in. I'll see how often I remember to do it, but I'm definitely going to try to stick with it for a couple of weeks to see if I notice any difference in anything.

Oh, and thanks to those of you who posted your sneezing stories! I will forever have a paper towel near my mouth while swishing because of that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:19 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

my mom told me my teeth look super white...

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:15 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I tried it a couple years ago with coconut oil, but gradually stopped because I kept forgetting to do it. I don't have the most awesomely healthy gums (a product of not having insurance for most of my adult life), so anything that "might" help, I'm game for.

I just kinda sorta started again. I say that because I started yesterday (swished while in the shower), but forgot to this morning.

Like a champ.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:14 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i got sick and haven't remembered since. despite having spent a SHOCKING amount of money on the oil. i could only find the toasted sesame oil, too.... at least i love that taste.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:55 am 
Baking In The Flavor

made little teaspoon sized "lozenges" of coconut oil with an ice cube tray and keep a little jar of them in my bathroom... then each morning i pop on in my mouth before i get in the shower.

this made it easier for me to form the habit. i have definitely noticed my teeth are whiter and feel cleaner. the plaque is not building up where it normally does - like behind my bottom front teeth. that usually "fills-in" in a matter of a couple of weeks after a cleaning despite any amount of flossing i do. and my gums don't bleed at all anymore from flossing.

my next checkup isn't until the end of july, so i plan on trying to stay with doing it daily until then *fingers crossed*.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:16 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I do oil pulling sometimes, only use coconut oil. I don't use it for detox, I don't think it does much for that, but I don't know. It does help keep my teeth superclean, coconut is anti-bacterial. Always brush your teeth afterwards!

I don't find it gross at all, I don't see it as food or anything. If you find it hard, just start doing it for a short time first, then lengthen it every time. I do it sometimes before I hit the shower and spit it out after the shower and brush my teeth. I only use organic cold pressed coconut oil. I would only use cold pressed oils for this and proper oils like olive oil, definitely not canola oil since I think these are highly toxic to begin with.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:20 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

um, I've been meaning to report back. I tried it. Once.
Dudes, it was so gross. Just putting oil in my mouth like that was almost enough to make me gag.
I lasted 5 minutes. My husband finally made be stop because apparently the swishing sound was too gross.
I haven't decided if I will try again.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:29 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

zero33 wrote:
made little teaspoon sized "lozenges" of coconut oil with an ice cube tray and keep a little jar of them in my bathroom... then each morning i pop on in my mouth before i get in the shower.

Ooh, smart! I hadn't thought about doing this in the shower. I'm much more likely to succeed if I have a "set" time. Thanks for that tip!

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:03 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Solkiki wrote:
... definitely not canola oil since I think these are highly toxic to begin with.

This is a myth. Canola/rapeseed oil is not only not toxic, but actually considered a healthy oil.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:08 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

lepelaar wrote:
Solkiki wrote:
... definitely not canola oil since I think these are highly toxic to begin with.

This is a myth. Canola/rapeseed oil is not only not toxic, but actually considered a healthy oil.

I disagree.

BTW canola is not the same as rapeseed. Canola is a cross breed of the rapeseed plant. Canola seeds and rape seeds have a different nutritional profile.

There's a lot of heat and processing (degumming, bleaching, deodorizing, etc) involved to create these oils. This alone can make one wonder if it's a good product to consume. Some of the compounds are transformed into trans fats, which is associated with inflammation and insulin resistance.

Canola oil is also relatively new, it has only been used for a few decades. There is little evidence that shows it's good for us. The FDA says it's a good oil, but at the same time places a ban on it for use in infants formula.

Everyone just needs to do their own research and decide for themselves what they would like to do. I, for one, stay clear of this stuff since there are so many good alternatives out there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:25 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

had my six-month cleaning last week - didn't mention the oil pulling to the hygienist because I wanted to see if she had any unsolicited comments about how incredibly clean my teeth were... she didn't.

even so, it didn't take as long as it normally does and she did most of it with the manual scraper and only had to use the brain-scrambling cavitron (which i loathe) a little bit in three places.

the spot that was marked to "watch" on my x-rays at my previous appointment was now "nothing to worry about". i'll be getting new x-rays at my next check-up and it'll be interesting to compare the two.

i have been pretty faithful to my morning ritual 3 to 5 days a week, swishing for about 10 min while I shower, then floss and brush after I dry off. my teeth aren't brilliant white, but they are whiter than they were and feel cleaner. my gums don't bleed at all when i floss.

the truly miraculous thing the oil pulling has done is improve my oral-care habit. the last time i remember flossing this much was when i was a kid - which probably has a lot to do with the positive results.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:19 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i read something recently about how the important thing to do is to brush teeth FIRST THING in the morning, which i had never done til i started oil pulling. i wonder if that is the important factor.
i am getting lax about doing it but need to hop in there again.