| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri May 06, 2016 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone familiar with/tried Dr. Mcdougall way of eating?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:53 pm 
Tofu Pup

I know it's been around a long time. I came across the plan doing research for another topic.
I was intrigued that based on most reviews it seems to cause people to lose weight in a relatively short period and you are not supposed to be hungry. I've been a member of the forum before but I have not visited in a very long time. I could just go ahead and try it but I'd have to buy specific food I don't normally consume. Since it's a vegan diet I am hoping someone here has tried it and can tell me how they did with it. Has anyone tried this and achieved good results?

I've gained 35 lbs. over a 4 year period. I eat compulsively and I need some structure I've tried WW and calorie counting that is appropriate for weight loss for my height, size and age (over 40) but I always end up hungry. When I was younger calorie counting worked well but not so much now.

I can't say I'd commit to this diet forever but I could do something close after achieving my desired weight loss. I've been taking pilates I gained weight instead of losing it (there is no evidence this muscle weight btw). I am going to start walking daily and I will switch from pilates to Tai Chi.

Post subject: Re: Anyone familiar with/tried Dr. Mcdougall way of eating?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:15 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I haven't tried the diet myself but from his website it looks very veggie and legume heavy. I can see how you could eat a lot and feel satisfied. I have purchased his pre-packaged foods from the grocery store before for quick lunches and backpacking meals. They're pretty filling but super pricey and not seasoned at all. Like, super duper bland. I'd probably add a lot more spices to the recipes. It seems like it could be under seasoned, which would make following it unsustainable for me. The other thing I'd worry about is getting enough calories. If I were to do this diet I'd plug everything into My Fitness Pal and make sure I wasn't under eating.

You might be interested in the Forks Over Knives recipes, since they're also really focused on low calorie whole foods. The last time I was actively trying to lose weight I made most of my dinners from Appetite for Reduction, most of my breakfasts and lunches from Forks Over Knives, and I was doing aerobic activity 2-3 times/week (45 minute spinning class). I also calorie counted, even though I know you said it doesn't really work for you now.