| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: High Blood Pressure?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:28 am 
Huffs Nooch

Since I initially became pregnant, and even after giving birth, high blood pressure has been an issue for me. I am working on weight loss, and I am currently on meds. Initially, my problem was just a high diastolic, but now my systolic is high, too. Almost two months ago, after only taking a beta blocker, I began taking an ace inhibitor to lower my numbers even more (when measured, it was 166/100). Now, on both, my bp is all over the place, and my pulse is also crazy high--like 120s at times, and I've begun feeling light-headed.

Aside from exercise, weight loss and decreasing caffeine and sodium, what are some other things that have worked for you? I feel like my high bp can sometimes be tied to eating too much, like my pressures go up after a big meal, so smaller meals is a route to go ... just looking for some ideas to try in conjunction with what my doctor has me do.

Also, I'd just like to hear from folks who've had high bps, and have lowered their numbers. I'm feeling sort of hopeless right now, like it will never lower (wah! overreacting, I know!).

Post subject: Re: High Blood Pressure?
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 5:13 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Are you taking your own blood pressure at home various times during the day, or just relying on a random reading at the doctor's office?

When it's taken, have you been sitting quietly for at least 5-10 minutes, feet on the ground, hand at the level of your heart or a bit higher?

Is the room a comfortable temperature or are you cold?

The very best way to track your BP is to have your own home machine, take it at various times during the day, feet on the ground, calm and collected. Keep a chart to bring in to the doc each visit.

A lot of times blood pressure is up at the doctor's but perfectly normal under normal everyday conditions. It even has a name - White Coat Hypertension.

Those are a lot of strong meds to be taking and there's got to be a reason why your BP is staying high. Hopefully these little hints will help.

Post subject: Re: High Blood Pressure?
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:08 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

how long has it been since you gave birth?
when i was pregnant i ended up with preeclampsia and my BP was all over the place and skyrocketed and even after i gave birth it took awhile to come back down to normal.

i dont remember how long it took to come back down to normal but i do remember i was taking my bp regularly at home for maybe a month or two

Unimpressed Baby Blog