| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mental Health Meds Side Effect Thread
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:34 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

My GP wants me on amitriptyline for my IBS, I've been putting it off because I'm hypersensitive to it. I was on it for a couple of years for ME/CFS, I think it numbed all my emotions, also, every time I tried to go above 45mg it gave me night terrors. It wasn't a side effect that wore off for me, I'd had them for months before realising what was causing it. I used to waken up crawling over the top of my ex trying to get away from whatever horror was chasing me, I also had a fight with the bedside lamp one night thinking it was something else.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:05 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ugh, Fezza that sounds awful. I'm sorry. I'm with you though. Now that I know how bad starting the Celexa is going to be I'm afraid if I stop I'll never start again.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:33 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My vagina is so damn dry because of meds. Even though I use the moisturiser every day it is still so dry that it is sore.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:00 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Daisychain, that sucks!

Current Lyrica side effects: weight gain, amazing technicolor dreams, possible irritability

blog: Jaunty Dame

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:32 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My dryness seems to have upgraded to an infection. Bah!!! So not what I needed. Especially since I have mental issues about the whole "area."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:45 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Have you tried treating the area with coconut oil?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:43 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I did before. It literally done nothing.

The dryness is so severe that even with daily moisturiser and lube sex is still painful. Going to give in and call my doctor this week and ask about changing to something else.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:53 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

That's awful, DC :(

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:41 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Just incase it is too TMI for some people.

Spoiler: show
I put cream on the labia earlier today. I just checked.... I was nearly all white dried out stuff which I thought was what was going to happen because I have a "discharge" of clumps of dried out moisturiser most of the time. I gave in and swabbed out some with cotton buds and got a good bit out. It actually doesn't look that infected. I just reckon the dried out clumps have caused severe irritation.

I reckon with what is happening with the moisturiser I'm going to have to stop using it altogether. Which basically means that sex will be excruciatingly painful and I will bleed every single time and take days to recover from it. Considering as it is the dryness is noticeable and irritating throughout the day I don't think I'm going to be able to continue on the amitriptyline so I will call my psych in the morning to chat with her about either trying to taper off or changing to something else.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:28 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ok.... Maybe it was an allergy to the moisturiser.... This morning I am all good... Normal conditions. In fact never been this normal since going on the amitriptylline. Still mildy irritated but so so so much better.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:46 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

What kind of moisturizer were you using?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:50 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Have you talked to a midwife/gynecologist? Maybe an estrogen cream would be good? I think they can help even if the reason for dryness isn't lack of estrogen.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I was using replens. There is only that and another one available here. The other one I had a reaction to when I tried that a few months ago.

I had a once off session with my counsellor today and she said she has never seen me so relaxed and confident so reckons I could actually tolerate another decrease so going to call the psychiatrist tomorrow. Although I reckon I could be discharged from her care once I contact her because I just realised we are now both on a regional committee for something so..... bummer.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:59 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

amonik wrote:
Have you talked to a midwife/gynecologist? Maybe an estrogen cream would be good? I think they can help even if the reason for dryness isn't lack of estrogen.

I was about to mention oestrogen cream! I've heard it can work well for lubrication and elasticity.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I previously only thought that was for menopause. When I get paid next week I will go see my GP about it. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:45 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm thinking it could have an effect because a lot of people experience significantly increased lubrication when using the NuvaRing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:22 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I heard that the Nuvaring thing was just your body's reaction to having something "in there" all the time, not a hormone thing. But from experience, when I'm on it I definitely get through my fair share of pantliners...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh man! Nuvaring sounds like a dream right now! Only thing is I am very prone to persistent migraines on oestrogen stuff. The current pill I'm on is the only thing that doesn't give me migraines.

My psych is calling me next week so going to go with getting off the meds that are causing the issue too. My mouth and throat are so dry that I'm choking on food again. I've had a few asthma attacks in the past 2 weeks with food getting stuck in my throat and not being able to move it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:37 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yeah Nuvaring isn't great for head pain. I have a lot of headaches these days since being on it but it's much more manageable than the sick to my stomach effects I got from any oral pill!

Good luck with the psych. All those effects sound scary, I hope they can help :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Dose has been officially decreased. She doesn't want it stopped though. I wussed out about telling her the major side effect issue because I remembered on the phone that I am now on a committee with her and I really don't think I could work with her knowing she knows about my clapped out vag.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:00 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

daisychain wrote:
I wussed out about telling her the major side effect issue because I remembered on the phone that I am now on a committee with her and I really don't think I could work with her knowing she knows about my clapped out vag.

Being on a committee with your psych sounds terrible!

blog: Jaunty Dame

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:39 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yeah, I thought it would be awkward and she would want to discharge me because of it but she said not at all. before we discussed that or I mentioned it I had said I was worried about the level of boredom with my new job and the lack of challenge so she brought up joining the project to me. Then I actually remembered I had already been asked by someone 2 weeks ago.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:19 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Woke up this morning with actual spit in my mouth! Yay! That hasn't happened in nearly a year. I usually wake up as dry as the sahara and with plenty of dried goo at the sides of my mouth. So sexy.

At random times today I stopped to savour the sensation of spit in my mouth. Yeah, I totally swished it around in my mouth tons of times.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:41 am 
Grandfathered In

I was on celexa for years and years. I was tolerating it well, and I credit it with working wonders on my anxiety. About seven or eight months ago, I quit. I was worried that my anxiety would come roaring back, but it didn't. I could do those "dangerous" things (like riding the bus by myself, negotiating all kinds of social situations, and so on) that I hadn't been able to do pre-celexa. But a few months ago, I started feeling depressed. Anxiety had always been my thing, but I'm sure depression was always in the mix, too. Last week, I decided to start taking celexa again. I've been feeling even worse since then: overemotional, tense, on the verge of tears. There's other stuff going on in my life that could be causing or contributing to this, but... Does this sound like something celexa can exacerbate, at the beginning at least? Have any of you experienced things like this when starting celexa? (When I started on it before, it was so long ago—13 or 14 years ago or so—that I really don't remember.) I know it's impossible to say, "That symptom or experience was caused by this drug"—maybe it's depression causing it and not celexa, or maybe it's just... life—but if this is a known side-effect of starting on celexa, I'd like to know it. (And I think it would be a great relief to me, too.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:50 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

What is the trade name for celexa? I know some can make things feel worse for a while. It tends to peak by day 10 and improve then. Normally the improvement starts at day 7 but you won't actually even notice it however if you have had any issues with thoughts of harming yourself you really really need to go back to your doctor asap and let those around you know. Some medications are known to increase thoughts or even cause people who never had them before to start having them. Don't worry about saying it to your doctor, it doesn't mean you need to go to hospital it just means you might need a meds adjustment or change and people to be extra there for you until you are more on the way to better. Usually it starts passing by day 14. If it is the first time you are treated for mood issues you yourself won't notice any improvement until you are past day 21. People around you will notice small changes from day 10.

my best advice is to look for signs of improvement rather than focusing on signs of illness. It's been my lifeline when I'm not good. Improvement can be something like I picked up a piece of paper off the floor rather and binning it rather than walk over it

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next