| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mental Health Meds Side Effect Thread
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

What is the trade name for celexa? I know some can make things feel worse for a while. It tends to peak by day 10 and improve then. Normally the improvement starts at day 7 but you won't actually even notice it however if you have had any issues with thoughts of harming yourself you really really need to go back to your doctor asap and let those around you know. Some medications are known to increase thoughts or even cause people who never had them before to start having them. Don't worry about saying it to your doctor, it doesn't mean you need to go to hospital it just means you might need a meds adjustment or change and people to be extra there for you until you are more on the way to better. Usually it starts passing by day 14. If it is the first time you are treated for mood issues you yourself won't notice any improvement until you are past day 21. People around you will notice small changes from day 10.

my best advice is to look for signs of improvement rather than focusing on signs of illness. It's been my lifeline when I'm not good. Improvement can be something like I picked up a piece of paper off the floor rather and binning it rather than walk over it

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:38 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Citalopram

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Just double checked and yep... It's one of the ones were deterioration can happen on commencing treatment. Safest option is to get reviewed asap even if those thoughts are not present.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My doctor is weaning me off Wellbutrin and I've stopped having the tremors that we thought were caused by the lithium. So glad to be able to have control over my hands again. I can paint my own nails! And eat without dropping everything!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:21 pm 
Tofu Pup

My worst side effect is weight gain. And I mean a LOT. With zyprexa I gained 120lbs in under two years. I lost most of it coming off it. And seroquel I gained about 90 or so. And that was right away, in the first ten months or so. I'm a weight gainer. I went right back up. But when I came off the weight just didn't come off so easily. Then I went vegan. I got my weight down some, almost back down all the way where it was. So when I took Abiliby, allegedly weight neutral, I started to gain weight, but slowly, and only when I was eating more junk and slipping up and having a hard time. That's when it goes back up. When I have a hard time and slip up. I'm glad to be here. To see other people who might understand some of my frustrations about some things. How hard it is. But anyway. How heartbreaking.

I went on Geodon and that didn't cause weight gain, but on both both geodon and abilify I clenched my jaw and ended up breaking my teeth a total of eight or nine times, I can't remember at this point. But geodon worked better. No weight gain. And I felt better and was able to speak more.

I tried latuda and got really really sick. Almost had to drop out of school. Now I'm on sahris. It works really really well. I've gained a little. Maybe thirty. Bad eating. Junk. crepe. But now I'm back to vegan. I was able to finish school and start working like never before. And I'm back to vegan. I think the weight gain has evened out. Now if I can just start losing. I think thats my only side effect.

I've had to many side effects over the years, but the worst ones for me are weight gain and teeth. I have more metal in my mouth than a frying pan, and exactly zero self esteem left.
OH. and no memory.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:24 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I've gained 120lbs on citalopram/celexa. I used to be a size 4/6 and now I'm a size 16/18. I hope that I can get to a point where I can get off of it, but every time I think about weaning I get horrifying anticipatory anxiety of all the things I think will happen if I go off it (debilitating panic that had me in the hospital, being the..uh...big one.)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:25 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

So I've started a new medication, Latuda. It's an antipsychotic that I'm taking for both, well, psychosis (I've been getting episodes of paranoia and hearing a radio that's in between stations except there isn't really a radio - I know, this sounds really crazy) and also for depression. I've been on plenty of antipsychotics in my life, both old school and atypical and every single one has sedated me a lot. So I have been surprised to find that this one causes insomnia. I've been sleeping 2-3 hours a night since I started it. Even if I take my klonopin I only sleep 4-5 hours and that's with a double dose. So my regular doctor prescribed trazodone for sleep. I just hope it doesn't send me too far the other way. I plan on taking a half dose tonight so I can see how it goes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:38 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yikes! That's a bad sleep! Does it settle down after a few weeks?

I'm only on a teeny dose of amitriptylline but it has me floored. I'm really struggling with full time work because it makes me so tired. I'm only on 25mg! It isn't even a therapeutic dose! But of course, it's like I've taken a bucket load of sedatives! Plus the dry mouth and lady garden. Argh! I have a psych appointment in 5 weeks and I could ask to come off it. Realistically I probably could manage without it however I'm so worried about coming off anything while in my current work place as I'm struggling with managing my dislike of doing nothing of value all day every day.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Amitriptyline is sedating. Methadone patients like to take it because it magnifies the effects of the methadone, something other tricyclics don't do.

I took the trazodone last night at half the prescribed dose. I slept eight hours straight through and wasn't drowsy this morning.

The side effects from the Latuda will hopefully wear off but I'm not even up to a therapeutic dose yet so it'll be a while. Meanwhile the trazodone helps and is safe.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:12 am 
Nailed to the V

I was on Seroquel for two days and the hunger destroyed me. I don't care how great a drug it is, there is no way I could have gone one more day. It triggered all my disordered eating something fierce. Abilify is much easier on me and I am feeling good. I'm overexercising to combat any possible weight gain, which isn't great. If I don't gain after my first month (I'm two weeks in), I hope I can calm down about it.

It really bums me out that I'd rather be skinny and fit than stable with a few extra pounds.

But, I am off sleeping meds which is amazing!!!! I was on benzos for over 9 months. Healthy, natural sleep is a gift from on high. I hope it continues and I wish it for everyone. Insomnia is possibly the worst thing I have ever experienced and I feel for everyone who is afflicted.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:18 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Alin I had a similar reaction to remeron. It made me so hungry I lasted two days before giving up on it. It is also used as an appetite stimulant for cats so that's what we use the leftover meds for.

I forgot to take my trazodone til 10%30 last night and ended up having to also take klonopin to actually fall asleep. But I got about six and a half hours so still good.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:07 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Remeron is horrible for the munchies. The amount of sugar I consumed while on it was horrific. I was on it near 2 years. My weight still hasn't gone near normal since coming off it. But then I did have thyroid problems and a prolonged case of being miserable.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:08 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

anybody been on cymbalta/duloxetine before? how did it go? I just got put on it for fibro stuff with a "wait until you have 2 days off in a row to take it" warning.

I'm curious/nervous about the side effects because the last time I was on mental health meds I was 14 and had super rough emotional side effects on one, then really bad sort of drool-y zombie reaction to the second and persistent shakes for the last one before I stopped taking them all together which was not advised, I was a dumb teenager and lucked out that coming off them didn't fork me up ad I happened to be in a different more posi life situation at that point. so I don't have any experience with a drug leveling out.

so I'm a little nervous! I know it's different than some of the other depression meds out there, but anyone experienced?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Never been on it. I haven't much experience even work wise with it as it is more used in a primary care setting rather than secondary services so by the time people get to me they are on something else. I find nearly all antidepressants will make you feel weird for the first few weeks and the first few days usually mean bed and comfort food.

I forgot to take my venlafaxine xl this morning. Just took them 30mins ago. Can't wait for them to kick in because the discontinuation symptoms were kicking in already. In bed now as I feel so crepe. This medication seriously is hardcore for quick discontinuation symptoms.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:32 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I know someone who became very suicidal from Cymbalta but I don't know how helpful horror stories are since everyone reacts differently.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:07 pm 

strawberryrock wrote:
I know someone who became very suicidal from Cymbalta but I don't know how helpful horror stories are since everyone reacts differently.

ahh yeah that's a significant listed side effect that is freaking me out a lil' I'll just have to keep an extra aggressive eye on it I guess. The side effects on the info packet are p. weird since I'm so used to non-mental-health-drugs whose side effects are like "pooping forever" or "developing pneumonia from a cold" or "bleeding tooo much" whereas this one is like "suicidal ideation" and "anorexia" so it's a little nerve wracking. not to mention the brain zaps that go with coming off of this drug eventually.

oh well I guess I only have one way to know!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Brain zaps realllllllly suck. I only have to miss my venlafaxine by a few hours for them to start up. Had the pleasures of some mild ones this evening. I came off it completely a few years back. Despite it being over the course of a few months it was near torture. But if it is any consolidation venlafaxine is meant to be the worst for it by far.

Have a look at crazymeds.org to see what they say. They have way better descriptions of side effects that are informative plus hilarious all at the same time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:50 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

This person was somewhat prone to suicidal ideation already, so I assume that was probably a factor. Being on it gave her suicidal thoughts so she stopped taking it and the withdrawl made them way more intense and I had to call 911 and it was a fun night. If you're worried about it maybe just figure out local crisis resources and have them ready?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:11 am 
Saggy Butt

daisychain wrote:
I forgot to take my venlafaxine xl this morning. Just took them 30mins ago. Can't wait for them to kick in because the discontinuation symptoms were kicking in already. In bed now as I feel so crepe. This medication seriously is hardcore for quick discontinuation symptoms.

Ugh I must have forgotten to take mine at all yesterday because I had crazy horrible nightmares all night and am only just starting to feel ok now after taking all day to recover. I'm on holidays so routine is out of whack but usually I start to get discontinuation symptoms within hours of missing a dose too. (I'm actually on pristiq (desvenlafaxine), so probably is slightly different.)

Boober you will will probably have a bunch of side effects and they will suck but probably less than all the other sucky things that are happening to you at the moment. Most should go away within a few days - weeks but there's usually some that stay and you won't know which ones they are until you try. I wouldn't worry about the black box warning too much if you're not already having pretty messed up thoughts.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:08 pm 

thanks for all the good info y'all <3

caterpillar - i'm sorry you're having to deal with that on your holiday :(

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:17 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Quote:
anybody been on cymbalta/duloxetine before? how did it go? I just got put on it for fibro stuff with a "wait until you have 2 days off in a row to take it" warning.

I take it. I'm on a super low dose with the idea that we'll one day get up into the therapeutic range for pain. It's fine for me. It mostly made me very tired at the beginning, though I'm straining to remember now how I could even tell. I acclimated though after a week of one day on, one off.

I hope it goes well!

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:24 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

blondiefk wrote:
I know, this sounds really crazy

I know you probably meant this rhetorically, but I still wanted to say that it doesn't sound crazy. It sounds rough, though. Bodies, am I right?

I really hope you can find the right treatment combo and get some relief.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm finally off the suboxone! It took a messy relapse with opiates other than those I was supposed to take but it's been a week. I feel like crepe, typical opiate withdrawal stuff. I'm in Portland on vacation (I have the WORST timing) and since cannabis is supposed to help withdrawal and it's legal here I got some. I'm staying in a hostel tonight so I can't test it out but tomorrow when I move to a house... I also reconnected with someone I didn't know that well back in NYC over a decade ago and he lives out here now and I'm going to a Heroin Anonymous meeting with him. I've always been to meetings about drugs in general so one specific to my drug of choice should be a good experience.

Also my Latuda is working splendidly. I realize I haven't not been depressed on some level for years. Even when I was manic it was always a mixed episode. I'd forgotten what nornal felt like.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:58 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm on day 3 of Wellbutrin and I swear it's helped with my ADHD (and mood, a little bit) since day 1? It's not supposed to take full effect for 3-4 weeks but can have some effect "within the first week" so I guess that's possible...I would chalk it up to the placebo effect but I didn't experience that with the other ADHD meds I took. I do have dry mouth though but I can deal with that.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:33 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

There is always a little bit of placebo effect but some of them do just make a tiny bit of difference from the first day depending on what they are and what they are for.

The dry mouth might not last if you have it so soon. Until then.... Brush your teeth regular, drink plenty of water and carry hard sweets to suck on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next