| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mental Health Meds Side Effect Thread
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:38 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

strawberryrock wrote:
I'm on day 3 of Wellbutrin and I swear it's helped with my ADHD (and mood, a little bit) since day 1? It's not supposed to take full effect for 3-4 weeks but can have some effect "within the first week" so I guess that's possible...I would chalk it up to the placebo effect but I didn't experience that with the other ADHD meds I took. I do have dry mouth though but I can deal with that.

WELLBUTRIN IS THE shiitake.

Thanks for saving my life, Wellbutrin.

I've been off and on it a bunch of times and it always starts working with the first pill.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:16 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Wellbutrin is good. I'm thinking of asking my doctor to put me back on it now my insomnia has cleared up because trazodone is too sedating now at an antidepressant strength dose and it makes me eat ALL THE TIME. Last time I was on it I had some bad side-effects but that was at the dose I was on (450mg) and didn't happen at a lower dose.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:49 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

just an update like a billion months later: cymbalta/duloxetine forked me up pretty bad, I was on a low dose and there was some heightened anxiety and then they doubled my dose and like 36 hours later i had to call my friend to come sleep over and make sure i didn't do anything. I haven't had active thoughts like that in a very very long time so just be careful if you're starting on it upping dosage or anything! everyone is different but it was a bad trip for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:01 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh that's terrible boober. I'm glad you're okay.

I started paxil/paroxetine and made it two days before stopping. It made me so tired and weak. It's for PMDD so I only take it half the month so I'm going to try again next month at half the dose.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:07 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

blondie, when I re-started on that I asked for the liquid version as it's so much easier to gradually introduce that way and I had way less side effects than the time before when I went straight on to the tablets. Is there any way you could get it prescribed that way? Hope it works out either way.

Time to burn down the house and call it a loss. Because all the nope in the world - kfad
I'd rather eat ramen and drink tap water than live with other people - lavawitch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I didn't know that was an option. I'm going to try again with the half dose because I am supposed to start taking it before my next appointment but if that doesn't work I'll ask my doctor.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh boober. Big hugs to you.

So, nice side effect..... I'm ummmm in a mood where I really really really need my boyfriend to be here and not so far away. Pretty nice side effect but would be better if I was getting some.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:24 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The sweating since my meds were increased a number of weeks ago is beyond ridiculous. If I'm doing anything around the house I end up completely soaked wet and need to change my clothes and blow dry my hair.

I'm starting my new job in 2 weeks and one of the days on the first week is a self defence type class so it will mean I am physically active for the day. Dreading it so much because these days blinking is enough to make me sweat.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:47 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh, dc, that is awful. Is there any way you could bring some sealed cups of ice with you in a cool bag?

Time to burn down the house and call it a loss. Because all the nope in the world - kfad
I'd rather eat ramen and drink tap water than live with other people - lavawitch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:10 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I will try that out. I painted the ensuite this morning which is a very small room. Had it done in 30 mins. My entire top was completely saturated.

I'm starting to get really self conscious about it now and wishing it was winter!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

After much debate and conflict in my mind I've decided I'm going to have to buy some hard duty ant persperants. I hate that I'm going to have to use a non vegan option but I can't mentally handle the thought of smelling as well as sweating especially since I'm going to be soon living in a houseshare instead of alone. I'm going to give myself a month or two of getting settled in England before I look for a meds reduction to get the sweating back to more acceptable levels.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:35 am 
Total Hoover

While it may annoy the vegan police, in some ways that is like people who have use non-vegan medication (it sounds like you'll need a medical-grade antiperspirant to cope with this side effect and I bet there are other side effects you'd be willing to treat), or who have to eat animal products again for a while in a clinic to treat an eating disorder.
I hope you find something that helps- starting a a new job, having just moved to a new country, will be stressful enough without feeling self-conscious about smelling.
And it does sound as though you're getting yourself into a healthier situation, so that after you've settled in you might be ok to change or reduce medication and not have the problem.

About wishing it was winter- if it was winter I bet they'd have the heating blasting in the room where you have the self defense class! And maybe you'd still sweat in the cold; at least this way some other people will be a bit sweaty sometimes (though I'm sure it doesn't feel comparable).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:52 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yes, do what you need for your health and well-being. We can only do our sincere best.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:30 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh very true about the heating! Irish hospitals are unreliable and end up turning them off in winter and on in the summer... I'm sure the UK can get that right!

Once I've the move made and a few months of settling in I'm expected to be able to start reducing until I am on about half the amount of medication which would be a massive decrease over time. I'm on the limit of one of my meds and I am 5ft 2 so it is a big dose for a small enough person.

I spotted a good one in boots online website. The reviews are excellent. At the start it only needs to be used twice a week and it can be used all over including face. Most people are able to eventually end up on it only a couple of times a year. I'm trying to think of it in the health way too. I'm going to be more prone to colds and flus if I am constantly in wet clothes. As it is I'm losing so much fluid I am nearly constantly dehydrated so that means I am easily worn out. So if I have decreased levels of actual sweat then I am going to be more hydrated and it does help health wise.

I'm happier with this one as I won't have to use it every day so compromise wise I'm ok with it. I tried to get it today but it wasn't in the places I was near so I will have to get it Saturday morning.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:46 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Don't fret over it! My dad had bad sweats from some of his medications. It's truly miserable and it interferes with quality of life in a big way. You are handling a medical issue, not chowing down on a steak.

You could try changing up your bath soaps too. He ran out of his sports soap and used my mom's Aveda just because it was there and he discovered that his sweating was reduced quite a bit. I forget what he used after that since he didn't like the smell, but he found something in the natural care section. Might be worth trying a few to see.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh thanks! I'll try out some new stuff when I have moved next week. I'll have more of a range of things to choose from over there plus things are usually cheaper.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:20 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

I am having intense sugar cravings.
My dose of wellbutrin was just upped.

Has anyone experienced this? It is crazy making.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:13 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh yeah! I was on mirtazapine before. The sugar cravings were so powerful I done things like drinking maple syrup. Another day I was so desperate (and I had emptied out my house of all sugar type food) that I actually sucked on a lemon. It was purely because the sugar craving was so bad but it did put me off seeking another hit for a good while because it was so bitter. I went through a good spell where I made lots of fruit smoothies and done a partial raw diet. Didn't last awful long because I ended up back at work and it was the start of a few years of miserable work conditions so I went back on the sugar.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:41 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Ugh that sounds awful!

I have been on a very un-fun journey with stopping pristiq (desvenlafaxine). Anyone who's experienced it will know it has pretty swift and horrendous cessation symptoms. I tapered off as slowly as I could, but I'm now going on about a week of brain zaps so bad they make me feel dizzy. They've just started to ease up the past couple of days, but it has been pretty revolting.

I'm realising that I am probably going to have to go on another medication because although the pristiq had started to feel like it was doing absolutely nothing for me, I have been having a really rough time for almost all of this year. I really want to be off meds, but it's seeming unrealistic for me to do that and continue to be a functional human being. Such a hard one - I know that it's completely valid and ok to be medicated, and I would absolutely reassure anyone else on meds of that, but I still hate it when it's me. I'm taking a month off whilst I'm visiting my partner in the US, and then coming back and having a psych evaluation and seeing if I can get something that actually works. Fingers crossed for one that doesn't destroy my already-tenuous libido! (Or do anything else revolting - seriously why the fork do we still have to put up with hideous side effects in psych meds? I don't understand why they haven't sorted that out yet! Well, ok, fine, I do. I know us mentally ill folks are considered lesser-than etc but fork that!)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:50 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

This brain zaps are horrific! I came off venlafaxine a few years ago and the first 2 weeks were horrendous. If I was doing it again I'd ask to be changed to Prozac then come off that instead. Saying that, the discontinuation is so harsh and fast that if I forget meds within a few hours I notice some mild zaps then within 12hours I have explosive diaorrhea, so I never actually miss a dose completely.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:23 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Brain zaps, gosh that sounds awful. Hope it eases up for you soon, Gunk.

I've noticed that if I'm late taking my paroxatene, I get mild vertigo. It's worse now than it used to be. Like, if I turn my head to the side, it feels like I've been hanging my head upside down or something.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:47 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I don't seem to tolerate the paroxetine very well. I'm only supposed to take it half the month for PMDD and I'm nauseous the whole time. I start again tomorrow and if I'm still that sick Friday when I see my psychiatrist I'm going to ask to either stop or take it all month so the side effects get better,hopefully.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:25 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yeah, going on/off paroxatine is horrible, if you can take it all month at least hopefully the side-effects will go away.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:29 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

daisychain wrote:
This brain zaps are horrific! I came off venlafaxine a few years ago and the first 2 weeks were horrendous. If I was doing it again I'd ask to be changed to Prozac then come off that instead. Saying that, the discontinuation is so harsh and fast that if I forget meds within a few hours I notice some mild zaps then within 12hours I have explosive diaorrhea, so I never actually miss a dose completely.

Ugh that sounds awful! I haven't had diarrhoea, but I am definitely pooping a lot more than I was whilst I was on the desvenlafaxine, which is pretty whatever for me really. And yes! Why do the discontinuation symtpoms have to come on SO fast with devenlafaxine and venlafaxine? Seriously, I'd miss half a day a feel revolting! I'm really glad to be off it (and finally starting to feel a bit more physically normal, although my emotions are all over shop now).

Good luck with the paroxetine, blondiefk. I hope you can manage to come off it or start taking it regularly without too many further symptoms (I can definitely empathise with vertigo, I know it's not quite the same as dizziness but I've definitely felt like I'm gonna fall over when turning corners too fast lately, blugh).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

They have a very short half life hence why it is so sudden. They are meds that are not suited to people who have problems with adherence. It is shocking the effects of being hit or miss with dosing with venlafaxine. I had a year long battle about it at work because the "more experienced" staff thought it was more appropriate to try force the person to change their habits rather than changing the treatment to suit the person. I won that battle in the end. Took long enough but that person is free from the horrific effects after so long.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next