| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bug bites
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:19 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Canandian bugs sound awful but I'm recovering from chigger bites from the USA South. Ugh. They love all the crevices on your body (belly button, leg crease, knees, etc.), are invisable, and decompose your skin around the bite site. I hate chiggers!

supercarrot wrote:

i found a major mosquito breeding ground at my neighbor's downspouts. they have those flexible accordion things to divert the water away from their foundation, only the grass slopes toward their house. that means the accordions were trying to go uphill and wouldn't empty completely. once i helped them get them on a downslope, it's been so much more enjoyable around my house. (although it is also possibly just a coincidence, since i've been seeing sooooooo many dragonflies and damselflies this year.)

In NYC you can get a ticket for maintaining a mosquito breeding ground/standing water. I think it is helpful to look for that around your home.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:33 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

booberthefraggle wrote:

I had lyme disease twice and never noticed the tick bites because there were SO MANY OTHERS.

Holy shiitake, so how did you know you had lyme disease? I am notorious for not noticing bites, wounds, infections, etc...

I am obsessed with checking my cats for ticks, but I never check myself because bodies are annoying and stressful! Unless you're a cute little furball!

From the same night of sitting by the lake with my coworker, my husband did not get bit once!

Quote:
"One in 10 people are highly attractive to mosquitoes," reports Jerry Butler, PhD, professor emeritus at the University of Florida. But it's not dinner they're sucking out of you. Female mosquitoes -- males do not bite people -- need human blood to develop fertile eggs. And apparently, not just anyone's will do.

I guess I am one in ten. I want to rename this the "Mosquitos who have chosen not to have kids" thread to attract some converts.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:43 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

vijita wrote:
booberthefraggle wrote:

I had lyme disease twice and never noticed the tick bites because there were SO MANY OTHERS.

Holy shiitake, so how did you know you had lyme disease? I am notorious for not noticing bites, wounds, infections, etc...

oh I got really really sick, they thought I had mono both times, my eyes started looking grey and I was sleeping for like 20hrs a day, the second time I got temporary bells palsy before I noticed!

(aside: I am the EXACT SAME WAY! I didn't notice I had a razor blade in my foot for 3 months, have broken fingers and toes and fractured ribs without noticing until I got x-rays for other things.)

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:58 am 

Yikes, how did they treat the lyme disease?

I'm so stupidly paranoid about this stuff for someone who scratches scabs off numerous times until they become infected.

I stayed away from outdoors today but there were three mosquitos in my office sucking at my knees.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:20 am 

Okay, this is my safe space thread for my summer 2014 in Nova Scotia thread.

I found another tick on me last night in my hair! It had attached and it was the most vile looking thing.

And I woke up this morning some crazy itchy and swollen bites all along my collarbone. It must have been spider or one of those evil ants that bite AND burrow in your house and eventually ruin it.

Also, more mosquito bites all over my knees and elbows, and a bunch of mosquito bites in my scalp that I keep freaking out are ticks.

I wonder what like say, Tyra Banks (I don't know, she popped into my head) does with unsightly bug bites. Or do the bugs know that she's off-limits? Cause I'm not camera friendly right now!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:20 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I always thought Nova Scotia would be an awesome place to visit (I haven't been there since I was 6 or so) but if there are that many biting spiders I don't think so!!

You have my sympathies Vijita, ticks really are vile!!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:31 am 

It really really is an awesome place to visit, believe me! You should come visit! I'll research cruelty free pesk repellents and all will be well. :) The bugs were bad on the prairies too--I just spent too long on the west coast when the worst things are gentle spiders and the odd tick.

Except for the ticks, I'm not minding it that much. It's just something I'm obsessed with talking about.

TMI warning: I just picked a bug bite scab on the top of my head and my hair is bleeding. It was accidental! I was just itching.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:44 pm 

OMG another tick tonight! I am still in love with NS 100%, but ticks, stay away! My partner hasn't had one yet. Apparently my blood is delicious.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:11 pm 

oh no vijita. ticks terrify the fork out of me.

definitely do some sulfur thing to your scalp (whether you do something with black salt or if you use jason's anti-dandruff shampoo.) when i worked at that farm in 2009, i used the shampoo, and as soon as i started using that and geranium essential oil, they stopped jumping on me. (these were dog ticks. they lived in the greenhouse.)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:18 pm 

Okay, so Jason's anti-dandruff shampoo repels ticks? If so I will try it! I am getting a little bit sick of this!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:53 pm 

yep. it's the sulfur. (but still check your scalp before you go to bed anyway.) i used to shower after work, just in case there was one that jumped aboard, and then in the morning i'd spritz more geranium oil all over, including my hair.

eventually my hair would become straw-like and break, but that was because i wasn't using conditioner, and i also had to move underneath bird netting that would constantly tug at my hair. live and learn. at least the ticks stopped.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:08 am 

Okay, I'll try it as I'm due for a new shampoo. You have me thinking now...we have extremely mineral-y well water. I wonder if there's something in that that makes me an easy target. I've been washing my hair less and less (about three times a week) because it doesn't seem to be getting greasy and is super healthy ever since we moved, but maybe I need to do better than rinse-only shower days to keep them away.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:43 pm 

Gaaaaaaaah! Some mustard bug left an infected area on the top of my head and it keeps trying to heal but I'm obsessed with it so I absentmindedly touch it/scratch it/rub it all day and there is no chance of a proper scab making it past my bad habits.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:38 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Dear Lard, vijita! Are you able to just soak in a lukewarm oatmeal bath? I can't think of anything that would feel nice on that. Maybe some aloe vera that has been in the fridge?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:37 pm 

I just need to ignore it, but I can't stop! Having a desk job means all my obsessive habits come up when I don't have a cat to pet, and I'm constantly caught clueless in the act when I thought I was just concentrating on work.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ah! scary! but don't be afraid of lyme disease! just ask your doctor about it and get tested if you find a little tic that's been munching on you (or even if you are just feeling paranoid, it's just a blood test and if running it will calm you down, just do it)
they treat it with a course of really gnarly antibiotics that you have to take for like MONTHS and made me really nauseous if I ever took them on an empty stomach (don't do that)
the least fun part is that I can't give blood anymore because the test tests for antibodies and I've got the antibodies floating around forever and they can't tell what's new and old at the blood place!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ps I'm sorry about all the bites!! that sounds terrible!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:30 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Band-aid that shiz, viji! Or if its too buried in your hair, a headscarf or somethin!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:49 pm 

Fire ants. Ugh.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:02 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

oh jeez. i want to say vinegar, or maybe it's baking soda. when we first moved to Florida, and then years later when we first moved to Brazil, i learned the hard way.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:18 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Can you add essential oils (if geranium works) to your hair conditioner? I'm wondering if the beneficial sulphur smell of the shampoo mentioned would be masked too much by a conditioner? Lush also did a stinky anti dandruff solid shampoo bar a while back but I don't know if they still do.

With scratching your hair can you clip it up so there is a hair clip near the scab? Then when you absentmindedly reached up to fiddle you'd be reminded.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:57 am 

that should be fine. i regularly spritzed my hair with the geranium in the mornings, and it worked just fine. (i'm assuming the bugs are more sensitive to it than we are.)

as for fire ants, it's acid. (have you read about the crazy ants who evolved an acidic venom in response to fire ants?) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasberry_crazy_ant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:36 am 

The bites are starting to really come to the surface and at times (like right now) itch like crazy.

I am NOT SCRATCHING THEM. But I want to so bad. I've been wrapping my arm up in gauze just so I don't have access to them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:56 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I have tried the hot spoon trick on mosquito bites and it has worked for me to stop the itching. Got to be worth a try?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:41 am 
Seagull of the PPK

mix baking soda and water into a paste and put it on there. it may be a bit late to take the venom out but i always find that helps with itching.