| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bedbugs! Itchy!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:40 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

So my roommate and I have the bedbugs. I think we're pretty lucky because they don't seem to be that big of a problem...so far. I never notice more than a couple new bites each day, but mannn it is a little annoying. I always warn guests before they come over that we do have these little pests and feel bad when they get bitten. I'm wondering if any of you have any advice on how to get rid of these suckers?

Post subject: Re: Bedbugs! Itchy!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:50 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I'm sure someone will come along to say this but on the old boards someone made a post recommending Diatomaceous Earth. I then read about it and it seems like the winner for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:51 pm 
Bends forks with mind powers

Oh, crepe! Sorry about that. :/

A nurse in one of my classes was telling me that here in Milwaukee, there are crews spray-painting furniture left on sidewalks, to deter people from taking it and spreading the bugs. Yikes.

I don't have any advice, but I just wanted to say I don't think you should feel bad if people get bitten! It sounds like infestations are becoming really common. http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-beat/Bedbugs-Try-to-Take-Over-the-World-Spotted-at-UN--106078333.html

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:04 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

throw out everything. you will never get them out of your mattress. im so sorry. i am terrified of bedbugs and it sounds like theyre infiltrating buffalo. ahhh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:29 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Really, oh my god. I would throw out my furniture and move. I know that sounds extreme, but bedbugs are extreme. EEEE.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:57 am 
So Totally Yiffy

My friend's son had them... they wrapped the mattress and box springs in plastic and sealed it all up with duct tape for 30 days and got rid of them. That is the only way I know of getting rid of them.

But of course that then leaves you with the question of how comfortable you are doing that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:28 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

you should get your place sprayed if you can. if the infestation isn't too bad you want to nip it in the bud asap. if it gets worse you might have to get rid of all of your furniture and bites could get infected and cause scars. bag up all clothes, bedding, rugs, curtains etc wash and dry on high heat, keep em bagged until you think it's safe. you can get bed bug covers for your mattresses that kill any bugs inside and help prevent further infestation. deep clean your whole house, vacuum all the nooks and crannies. getting rid of junk and clutter and using diatomaceous earth can't hurt. i hear the little forkers also hate lavender so you could spray some essential oil on your bed. even if it doesn't work, lavender is nice for sleeping. but really, you should call in a professional. bed bugs are a pain in the arse and you want to deal with them properly. good luck!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:13 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

You need to call an exterminator!

how did you detect them? I am super paranoid about having them because it's such a problem in NYC.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:15 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

We had bedbugs this summer, and they were terrible to deal with. I never even wanted to go to bed knowing that they would be crawling on me at night.

Some things I would suggest that seemed to help us are: buy some carpet tape (double sided stickyness), wash all of you bed stuff, dry it all for at least an hour on the highest heat, search for any bugs on/in the actual matress, and then put the tape down in a perimeter surrounding the bed with all the clean bedding on. This seemed to work for us as far as just getting some relief from the bites. We also cleaned up all of our stuff, and put pretty much anything we were not using in 2 empty rooms (this was easier since we were moving soon) and surrounded them with a perimeter of diatomaceous earth. We also sprinkled that along the baseboards in rooms where we weren't going to be walking around a ton.

I would suggest getting an exterminator (one that is experienced with bed bugs) though if you are going to be staying in your apartment for a while. We only did what we did because we were going to be leaving the place about a month after we found out we had the bugs. When we looked into the pricing I think we were quoted something like $1200 for a 2 bedroom apartment.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask here or PM me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:09 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Are you renting? If you are in an apartment building they are probably in more than your apartment and the landlord should look after the exterminators.

There are buildings here with bedbugs and they are having a hard time getting rid of them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:25 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

ijustdiedinside wrote:
You need to call an exterminator!

how did you detect them? I am super paranoid about having them because it's such a problem in NYC.

Yes. I thought I had bed begs last year (bites in a line overnight), but it turned out to be fleas.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:28 pm 
Chip Strong

i don't really know how to say this, but i think you might be a little too calm. i knew people when i lived in san francisco whose lives were destroyed for years by bed bugs. if people are getting bitten when they come over, they're bringing the bugs home with them. it's your landlord's responsibility to get professional help, so i would contact them immediately. it can happen to anyone and you definitely shouldn't feel bad about it or anything, but action must be taken immediately, for the public good!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:01 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Every time ride the El, I see ads about how to protect against bed bugs, and I'm getting to the point of not even wanting to ride the train, for fear of bringing the pests home.

I think it's nice that you're warning people who come over, but I don't think you should allow anyone over until the bugs are gone--they're not only (likely) bringing the bugs home with them, but if they're taking public transportation, they're also leaving the bugs to go home with others.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:33 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

Thanks for all the advice you guys! I got seals for my mattress and box spring and I haven't been bitten or seen any bugies since I put them on (two days ago) I've been reluctant about mentioning it to my landlord because I feel like exterminator = chemicals/pesticides and I wanted to avoid spraying that stuff where I sleep. Thanks Mars for mentioning Diatomaceous Earth, I'm definitely going to try that if sealing my bed alone does not work.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:10 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

goatgirl wrote:
Thanks for all the advice you guys! I got seals for my mattress and box spring and I haven't been bitten or seen any bugies since I put them on (two days ago) I've been reluctant about mentioning it to my landlord because I feel like exterminator = chemicals/pesticides and I wanted to avoid spraying that stuff where I sleep. Thanks Mars for mentioning Diatomaceous Earth, I'm definitely going to try that if sealing my bed alone does not work.

I really think you should tell your landlord. they could have come from someone else's apartment or spread from your apartment to someone else's. I don't think they would spray pesticides where you sleep. there are heat and freezing treatments, too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:40 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

ijustdiedinside wrote:
goatgirl wrote:

I really think you should tell your landlord. they could have come from someone else's apartment or spread from your apartment to someone else's. I don't think they would spray pesticides where you sleep. there are heat and freezing treatments, too.

I agree. My roommate (who is really bent on not tell our landlords for a variety of ridiculous reasons) is moving out this week so I'll be talking to them about it this weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:05 am 
Tofu Pup

anyone who finds any bed bugs anywhere (in north america or the uk) really should report them on http://bedbugregistry.com/ if nothing else!! also check the address of any hotel, residence, anywhere you might be staying or moving in to.

i have friends who quite literally moved across the country to get away from them. their landlord would spray one apartment at a time, and the bugs would quite happily march into the next apartment. the whole building needs to be treated all at once, whatever the method.

bed bugs don't just live in beds! they can crawl into any little crevice, lay their eggs wherever it's warm... absolutely nothing in your living space is safe. my friends left all their furniture on the side of the road (ideally infested furniture should be labelled so others don't have to suffer), put all their clothes in a hot dryer, and the stuff they did carry cross-country was stored in a shed until they could do the freezer treatment (like computers and electronics).

and if you visit a friend for the weekend, those bugs could quite happily hitch a ride in your bags. yikes!

it really is an epidemic. i wish anyone who has to face it much luck.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:16 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Sealing your mattress will not work. They will just go dormant.
Diatomaceous earth is your best bet but you will need to treat and re treat often!