| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Blood pressure
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:03 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Hi,
After a recent trip to doctors for a health check I was advised to monitor my blood pressure in morning and night.
I have done this for a few days and am getting some pretty sporadic results highest being 154/83 and the lowest being 121/64, but generally in the 140's/75-80.
I understand that results do differ during the day hence why taking morning and night, but am slightly concerned by the high readings. I am a 38 male 5 10 weighing 74kgs who eats plant based, with little to no processed foods, no salt added to meals, non smoker and only drinks once a week (5 -8 beers). I cycle 6 miles daily to work and am also at the gym 4-5 days a week, so am a little confused that I appear to have blood pressure in the ' high' category.
Is anybody else in similar position?
Help/advice would be mostly appreciated.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Blood pressure
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:29 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Hi ! I have to monitor my blood pressure becuase one of the drugs I take for cancer prevention can cause high blood pressure.

You're right - blood pressure readings do have a daily cycle with lower readings first thing in the morning, peaking in the afternoon and then falling again in the evening.

A few things to consider for testing:

1. Make sure the BP machine cuff is the right size for your arm; even those 'one size fits all' cuffs do have effectiveness ranges. If the cuff is tool small, the readings can be too high.

2. Take your readings at the same time each day.

3. Before you take the reading, sit quietly for 5 minutes in a chair with a back; do not cross your legs/ankles, arm is relaxed and supported so that the cuff is at the same level as the heart; don't talk during the reading.

4. Make sure you're not chilled during the reading - being cold raises your blood pressure - i found this out during a -45 C cold snap we had in Northern Ontario in Feb-March ...

5. I was adivsed to 'throw away' the first reading of a session. Wait 2 minutes and then take another reading and record it.

6. Try not to stress about the reading - because that can raise the pressure too; overall it is not just one single reading that is a sign of concern, looking at the overall trend of readings is more important.

Even after years of monitoring, I get variations in results too. I record them all and then my doctor and I review the weekly and monthly averages. For July my morning average reading is 123/75; afternoon 132/82 and evening 127/79. On Friday when I came home from a hell-day at work my reading was 148/91. Two hours later it was 130/81.

My best advice: take your time, track the trends and keep taking good care of your health.