| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I keep smelling ammonia?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:29 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

For the past month I've gotten these random moments where I smell ammonia. It first happened in the car when I had the window rolled down and I thought it was just something outside. The second time was in my bedroom and sense then it has happened about three other times. I've searched the internet and it seems like a pretty common problem that can be caused from a lot of different things like not getting enough water and eating too much protein, these wouldn't be the cause because I drink plenty of water and according to the doctor I'm protein deficient? It can also be from more worrisome problems like epilepsy and kidney failure. I'll be seeing my doctor about this but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Post subject: Re: I keep smelling ammonia?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:09 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Not experienced it, but I hope you find out the cause and it's something easily dealt with.

Stupid question, but it's not something like you accidentally dipped your purse in something ammonia-y and are now getting occasional whiffs of it? Have you checked if other people have been smelling it recently?

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:30 pm 

As far as I know I haven't gotten ammonia on anything. The first few times I smelled it I kept asking if anyone else could smell it and it seems I'm the only one.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:00 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

You don't have a vengeful cat, do you?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:03 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yeah, my first thought was cat peas.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:35 pm 

Nope no cat!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:25 pm 
***LIES!!!***

If it's coming from you, it's most likely to be not enough carbs/fat/overall calories, from your body breaking down protein for energy. I have had this problem several times during my low carb lifestyle. (Why does your doctor think you are protein deficient? That is a weird kind of diagnosis that I would be skeptical of.) That, or some kind of problem where your body is breaking down protein for some other reason (which would be worrisome). Have you been dieting?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:08 am 
Impressive boner

Is the smell coming from your body or elsewhere?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:04 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I have had this when I was just straight up not eating enough to support all of my workouts. Be mindful of your hydration and calories (increase carbs instead of protein if you're low) and see if it ceases.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:05 pm 
Saggy Butt

yeah, this is purely anecdotal, but i experienced something like this during the summer (heat waves+sports+biking) when i wasn't eating/drinking enough to support my activity level and all my sports gear smelt a bit like peas instead of normal gear funk (which is still nasty, but). i think it was partially because i wasn't cooking much due to the heat, so i wasn't eating a lot of carbs.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:25 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

definitely go to the doctor and get blood work done. your doctor probably said you are protein deficient because your albumin is low. that's usually the only reason a doctor would make that diagnosis, but there's newer data out there that says that albumin doesn't actually represent protein intake. albumin can be low for a lot of reasons, but protein has never been proven to have an affect on it.

i'll be interested to hear what this is from.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:29 pm 
Semen Strong

Ariann wrote:
If it's coming from you, it's most likely to be not enough carbs/fat/overall calories, from your body breaking down protein for energy. I have had this problem several times during my low carb lifestyle. (Why does your doctor think you are protein deficient? That is a weird kind of diagnosis that I would be skeptical of.) That, or some kind of problem where your body is breaking down protein for some other reason (which would be worrisome). Have you been dieting?

Is there a difference between this and ketosis, which was a common side effect that people who did Atkins experienced? I know ketosis smells like acetone rather than ammonia....

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:13 pm 

I'm pretty sure it's coming from me. I'm also skeptical about being protein deficient, I kinda think she just doesn't agree with me being vegan but either way I'm trying to up my protein and I am kinda dieting. Nothing extreme just trying to heat healthier and maybe lose some pounds and I've been eating a lot of fruit lately....but maybe I should try getting more fat? It sounds like my diet is probably the cause of this. I have an appointment with my doctor but it's not for awhile if it becomes worse I'll schedule something with a different doctor so I can get in sooner.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:23 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

After a workout or any sweating, I smell ammonia/acetone intensely in my sweat. When I take a shower, the smell intensifies. Like ammonia/nail polish remover But this has happened as long as I can remember.

My tumblr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:45 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Tofulish wrote:
Ariann wrote:

Is there a difference between this and ketosis, which was a common side effect that people who did Atkins experienced? I know ketosis smells like acetone rather than ammonia....

Yes, I think some level of ketosis is probably the culprit for me. And I misspoke, though, because just metabolizing fat can also cause this. I haven't found anything to say it is really problematic to be in ketosis sometimes (if it's not from starvation, of course), but it would probably be good to know if that's what's going on or something actually problematic.