| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Irritable Bowel Syndrome - IBS
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:40 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Vixki, I totally get that. I was "diagnosed" when I was 21 years old after I pressed for test after test, and even got a colonoscopy and endoscopy.
My advice? Get all your medical paperwork. You might have to pay a fee, but that's what I did. Then I went to my new doctor and told her my problem and that I wanted to rule everything out.
If you can't see a new doctor, do some research yourself and find out what tests are missing. I think the only thing I didn't have yet is a scope to see if I have endometriosis.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:04 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Hi guys!

I'm so glad I found this thread. I joined an IBS forum but some of te people there were focussing on my veganism as the main problem. Do any of you think your veganism makes it worse?

The main problem I have is the anxiety side of IBS. I work as the manager of a charity shop and have trouble when it comes to lunch and knowing when I'll next be able to eat. There are always disruptions during lunch and I can't be sure that the volunteers won't need me. I also struggle when travelling to work (a half an hour train journey with no toilet) in the mornings which are my worst time. This makes it even more difficult when I need to go to meetings which need me to leave the house a lot earlier.

It's good to see some people who understand!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:18 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I may have IBS, the doctors are not sure. I experience more nausea, cramping-type pain, heartburn and bloating, with very little changes in "bowel habits", so I'm not convinced. Does this fit the diagnosis? I basically feel some kind of discomfort all the time and I am getting to my wits end. All of this started after I was vegan, so of course, people think it is related and I am even starting to get suspicious (though I know this is completely ridiculous).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:47 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

do you guys have problems with people not taking your ibs seriously?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:32 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

i don't usually talk about it, but i can imagine that people might not take it seriously. like "ooh, you get tummy aches, boo hoo" - like some people's reactions to my migraines.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:02 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Something else I think besides IBS is up. My stomach had a sharp burning pain since yesterday at like 9. I was up all night, googling. Not sure what it is. But maybe it's the same stuff but usually I get cramping, queasiness, bloating, vomit or diarrhea. I no longer have health care, so I'm not sure what to do. Maybe it will go away?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:58 am 

how goes it?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:11 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

If it's in your stomach it could be acidosis. I get that sometimes and it's like unbearable burning. Anything to quench the acid, like tums or maalox should help and there are also pills like prevacid you can take to halt the excess production of acid.

That's the only thing I can think would cause burning. Hope you feel better!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:37 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

fupapack wrote:
Something else I think besides IBS is up. My stomach had a sharp burning pain since yesterday at like 9. I was up all night, googling. Not sure what it is. But maybe it's the same stuff but usually I get cramping, queasiness, bloating, vomit or diarrhea. I no longer have health care, so I'm not sure what to do. Maybe it will go away?

I have been having that too. I was up til like 4 last night because I was in so much pain. I'm wondering if mine is a gastric ulcer cause the symptoms are bang on and I've been taking pretty heavy-duty NSAIDS rehabbing my wrist.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:41 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I was guessing an ulcer too!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:25 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I was thinking gastric (or duodenal, depending on the location of the pain) ulcer too. I got H. pylori and had gastric ulcers and it sucked so bad! I was on hardcore antibiotics for the H. pylori but the treatment for the ulcer was just Prevacid for a month, which I'm pretty sure is available OTC, and cutting out any acidic foods (tomatoes, coffee, chocolate, etc.) until it felt healed.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:01 pm 

I tried to go to the doctor today but finding a clinic open on a Sunday was bizarrely difficult for it being the biggest city in Canada. I will go tomorrow and see what they say. For now I'm sucking down Tums. Hope you're feeling better, Fupa!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:11 pm 

Doctor says it's either an ulcer or a pre-ulcer. Either way, I'm off NSAIDS, have an acid-reducing medication and have to get a splint for my wrist (so I don't have to be on meds for it).

Does anyone else get super dehydrated with IBS? I'll easy drink a litre of water in minutes when I've got the bloaty-kind of IBS. Not so much diarrhea, but so much bloating and pain.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:23 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

yes! feels like i have the worst cotton mouth and i'm insatiable with water. i once took my socks off in front a friend before and she tut tutted me when she saw the marks from the socks and said oh you should drink more water! i kinda wanted to say, yeah i'm up on that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:41 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Ditto with the water. I am ALWAYS thirsty. I have to carry around a water bottle because I drink so much. And in winter I drink tons of hot drinks (non-caffeine sort, caffeine is NOT an IBS-er's friend!).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:51 am 

Booze is a big trigger for me (wine will have me flaring up for half a week) but I think I can drink cider! I had it a few months ago and was just slightly irritated night-of, okay the next day. I had one can last night and felt completely fine. This is exciting!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:37 am 
Chard Martyr

Have you guys tried acupressure? I had a treatment last week and my IBS went from excruciating to like, mind-boggling healed. My gut made the craziest high-pitched noises during the treatment which I can only believe was my organs sorting themselves out because damn, I have been feeling awesome lately.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:01 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I'm taking a course on cupping this weekend (I'm a massage therapist) and I'm interested in seeing how it can be used to help alleviate IBS (among other things). Has anyone tried cupping for IBS?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:16 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

hello all... i'm in the middle of being diagnosed for what i'm pretty convinced is IBS... doctor's appointment isn't until next week, and i'm also booking an appointment with a natropath/nutritionist... i'm seriously willing to try just about anything to make my poor stomach feel better :( for me, there is definitely a huge stress connection... i've been dealing with occassional "stomach problems" for a few years now, but it's gotten sooo much worse in the last year, and especially since my kids' school year started. i have 3 kids (12, 10, 6 years old). i have a pretty stressful job (i do home daycare), i have a kid with a chronic health condition (type 1 diabetes.. i basically never sleep), and my hubby and my son are also GF (my son, the T1, is officially celiac, hubby never had an official diagnosis, but feels a gazillion times better gluten free...).

i've been vegetarian since i was 16.. almost 20 years now, and vegan for about the last 5 (though dairy has snuck back in over the last year, and i've just recently completely eliminated it again... i know it makes my stomach worse). i've also given up pop.. i think caffeine makes my stomach worse too.

these last two days have been just horrible with my stomach, and i feel like i'm at my wit's end. i am so hungry, but i'm so scared to eat anything.

now i'm going back to read this entire thread... any suggestions would be OH SO welcome!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:44 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

When you guys are sick what's your go to meal plan?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:14 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

ive had a flare up for the past 4 days. im not digesting food at all. and im so hungry but i dont want to eat.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:20 pm 

fupapack wrote:

i stare at the contents of my kitchen in frustration because i can't eat white toast or saltines and that's all I can think of to eat.

sometimes i have those van's freezer waffles.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:28 am 
Saggy Butt

Besides for a few flare ups, my stomach hasn't bothered me much since I gave up dairy years ago, but for the past couple weeks its been killing me! I can't eat anything without feeling nauseous and bloated for hours after. Gluten, gluten-free, raw/cooked veggies, carbs of any kind, you name it. Is it normal for your stomach to go all crazy for no particular reason? I can't think of anything I've changed besides for exercising more, but I don't see how that could be the issue. I've started taking probiotics in the morning but it's not making much of a difference.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:33 am 
Not NOT A Furry

fupapack wrote:

About the only thing I can reliably eat is plain white rice with a bit of Vitalite (vegan butter) and salt and pepper stirred in.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:04 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Maggie, I feel for you. Are you feeling any better? I am feeling sick to my stomach this morning with runny stools and I can't figure out why. Saturday I woke up in the night with stomach pains. I have eaten more wheat than usual the past week and that may be why. In fact, now that I think about it I have had symptoms this whole past week.

I know that I have to get back to eating mostly vegetables, fruits, beans, tofu and whole (non-wheat) grains. That seems to be what I do best on and any bread or refined grain products more than a little here and there can tip me over the edge.

I don't usually get severe symptoms but I find that, like vixki, white rice with EB and salt and pepper is comforting and almost guaranteed to calm things down. Bananas are good too. I hate applesauce, though - going by BART - and toast is not a good choice for me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next