| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Irritable Bowel Syndrome - IBS
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:24 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Ugh, two days without any movement and as I waited for an epic poop, it never came. It was not "satisfying" (isn't that sick that I love a satisfying poop?) and now I am bloated, intestinal- and bowel-noisy and just feeling like shiitake. I just don't feel like taking the IBS pill right now, quite frankly.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:27 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

not sick, understandable! i had this college roommate who used to say, in her deep maine accent, "there's nothing like a good shiitake" and while I used to find her crazy, I understand her more and morea ll the time.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:31 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My boyfriend and I bond over poop. We both have bathroom issues, and I don't think I could ever find someone quite like him. Whereas I don't like to hear his details, we make up funny saying and say phrases in funny accents to lighten our moods about our IBS issues. I love finding a good person to talk about poop with.

Oh, and I don't have celiac, according to the blood test. I think the only thing left is a food allergy test but realistically, I have IBS. Officially.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:00 am 

I don't have celiac either.

Also, how fun is it to know you're going to have a bad tummy day because you are bloated and gassy and your clothes don't fit. Woo?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:51 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Got sick after eating VEGAN food at a fav restaurant! Booo. =(

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:36 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

How is everyone doing?

I did well for a few weeks and now this week I am dying. It's strange how good I can do, even my best friend's wedding (!!!) and now it wants to be a pain, literally.

Everyone high and dry with the rain?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:35 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

i am doing okish, no cramping or redic asparagus pee. but i haven't pooed in like 2 days which is freaking me out. and i have weird bubble gut. but its better than constant diarrhea. all in all i'm doing well (as in much better than a few weeks ago {extreme fatigue and constant gut pain}) but probably because i dumped my partner who was stressing me the fork out.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:11 pm 

fupa! good for you!

mostly doing well - a bit off sometimes and I'm not sure why. the otehr day it's cause i had too many tortilla chips.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:45 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

my stomach is not happy today for some reason. And last night I had terrible indigestion and woke up with nightmares! I need to figure out what I did to aggravate things.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:12 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

A friend of mine with IBS has had some luck with the soluble fiber supplements from here http://www.helpforibs.com/shop/suplmts/acacia.asp so I just made an order. I realized my issue may not be gluten, but the fact that I usually eat whole wheat bread with PB for lunch on an empty stomach. Insoluble fiber galore.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:42 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Whole wheat is also higher in fructans than white, so if you can't really do fructose... I more or less stopped eating 100% whole wheat breads and started putting more protein in my sandwiches to make up for it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:14 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Ugh, my digestive system started acting up, royally, about Monday with a ton of gas. Then on Tuesday I would not stop pooping! But it was regular, not gross. But then the past two days, when I go to eat, I get sick within 5 bites. But I feel so hungry! I am getting so angry.

I am sitting here, at work, with my stomach jumping all around and I still have three hours left. Plus I totally can't call off Friday and Saturday.

What to do?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:35 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

my sympathies!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:38 am 

newsie, i'm late, sorry! dr. oz said the other day (i know he's a hack but some stuff makes sense!) that peppermint oil capsules soothe IBS symptoms?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:49 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

i believe it i chug gallons of peppermint tea daily

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:52 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

interesting
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 20726.html
I'm not clear on why tofu is OK, but soy isn't though, I wonder where tempeh would fall.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:17 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Appifanie, I was initially diagnosed with depression instead of IBS as well! Then I went to someone else. I don't have anything against having a mental illness, I just was pretty sure it wasn't causing my constant pain and illness.

I'm not taking medication right now, though I do have insurance (did not for a couple of years). Identifying triggers works best, but unfortunately stress is a big trigger. I also have rosacea and ocular rosacea, and oddly enough the same sorts of things trigger it as the IBS. Mostly stress, but some dietary things I can change.

Going vegan of course helped, because dairy and I never got along, but I can't eat much fruit and forget onions and cabbage. Also, most beans and hummus make me so bloated I look like I did when I was about 5 months pregnant for a couple days. I wish I didn't love hummus!

Everyone has such individual symptoms and triggers, but I do think stress relievers like meditation and low-impact exercise like walking, yoga, and tai chi can help. I'm also a big fan of peppermint tea, licorice tea, and ginger tea (not all at the same time). I also tried some chamomile and lavender tea that was nice. For some reason I need tea after I eat to settle my stomach.

In the above article, I'm wondering if tofu is okay because of the way it's fermented? If so, I would think tempeh is okay. I've never had issues with soy products myself.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:16 pm 

I don't know what it is but man I am just so stinky gassy the last few days :/Yesterday I was gurgly-tummied too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:13 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Thessaly wrote:
interesting
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 20726.html
I'm not clear on why tofu is OK, but soy isn't though, I wonder where tempeh would fall.

It seems to be referring to the whole beans, whereas tofu doesn't have the skins or anything like that. Since soy milk is essentially the precursor to tofu I'm guessing that might be ok too, but tempeh is made from the whole bean. Only one way to find out.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:46 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

kallista93 wrote:
Going vegan of course helped, because dairy and I never got along, but I can't eat much fruit and forget onions and cabbage.

You sound like me! Except I eat lots of fruit. Has anyone tried FODMAPS? My doctor recommended a dietitian who deals with IBS and recommends this diet: http://www.nutrition-solutions.com.au/t ... dmap-diet/
...but it seems near impossible to be vegan on it. No mushrooms, beans, many fruits and vegetables, I don't know what I'd eat! I'm coming to the realisation that my IBS (D) is anxiety-related. I came off my anxiety meds because I thought I was ready but I had a really funny tummy for a few weeks and it's cleared up a lot since taking them again. Also, I don't get symptoms much from home-cooked meals but for a while there I had a bit of a fear about going to restaurants because I got sick afterwards so often...it makes me wonder if it was just the social situation that made me uneasy and hence, want to go to the toilet. I don't know, most likely it's a combination of anxiety and food. I know for sure that I don't want to eat any dairy or cabbage ever (a small amount of red cabbage is ok), I know avoiding fried foods helps and that I shouldn't overstuff myself but really, I still haven't gotten to the bottom of it.

I am pretty much guaranteed to have a bowel movement half an hour after a coffee but it's not usually particularly painful or watery or anything. Alcohol doesn't agree with me either. I'm not a big drinker but now I've decided to give it up completely, for a while at least.

Thessaly wrote:
fupapack, I know where all the bathrooms are! It's usually the first thing I make a mental note of when I go somewhere if I'm feeling at all unsure of the status of my stomach. Places without bathrooms make me nervous!

+1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:06 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

P.S. Your overshare of information for the day: Once while on the road and unable to pullover or find a petrol station, I've tried to convince my mum to lend me her hat to poop in. "Just give me the hat...*breaths, sways back and forth*...GIVE ME THE HATTTTTT!". Luckily for everyone's sanity we found a bathroom.

Also, you know that scene in Bridesmaids where everyone gets food poisoning and someone has to poop in the street. I'm like, "this is what I feel like multiple times a month, I wish that was socially acceptable".

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:05 am 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

Veglicious, I'm the same way about eating out. something that would be fine at home will mess me up if it I eat it out. I don't know if that's they add more oil to stuff or if it's anxiety, or if it's just the way I sit or something when I'm out that messes up my digestion.

I love you for that hat story! hah!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:06 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Saw the article and thought it was interesting! It is definitely a difficult thing, though, for us vegans.
Also, I hate going out to eat unless I trust the place! My boyfriend took me to a new Chinese restaurant this weekend and I refused to go to the movie afterward. I was too afraid I would get an upset stomach. I did not, but I get super nervous, especially when I can't see where the toilets would be from where I am sitting.

My stomach has been mostly good, except I got sick two Sundays ago after a 5K I ran. About 8 hours later, I went to Dick's after eating dinner and about died in their bathroom, twice.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:43 am 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

newsie15 wrote:
Saw the article and thought it was interesting! It is definitely a difficult thing, though, for us vegans.
Also, I hate going out to eat unless I trust the place! My boyfriend took me to a new Chinese restaurant this weekend and I refused to go to the movie afterward. I was too afraid I would get an upset stomach. I did not, but I get super nervous, especially when I can't see where the toilets would be from where I am sitting.

So much this! It's the worst.

I was waiting for the bus yesterday and I felt that terrible stomach rumble. If I had waited it out maybe it would have passed, but I headed to a cafe and used the their bathroom instead. sigh! I knew I shouldn't have had that bagel with faux cream cheese before I left the house.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:10 pm 

my gut is gluten detoxing and I totally shouldn't be near people right now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next