| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: Irritable Bowel Syndrome - IBS
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:57 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

I found following the FODMAP diet brilliant for my IBS. I was even able to re-introduce some wheat but ate a granny smith apple a few weeks ago and it's only now my IBS is settling down again. It's still not great and I would kill to be able to eat some veg other than broccoli & carrot. I'm so bored with my diet lately and getting faaaaaaar too many calories with oven chips. I'm fine for protein, it's getting good carbs & a selection of fruit & veg that I'm struggling with at this point. I have to avoid migraine trigger foods, so it's even more complicated, bah.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:07 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

The FODMAP diet did nothing for me (I didn't notice a single change in symptoms) even though I followed it rigourously.

Can you eat greens like spinach/lettuce? Courgettes/Zucchini? Tomatoes? Those are pretty much what I had lots of when I was on the diet. I don't know about migraine trigger foods so perhaps they fall into that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:22 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

I'm eating salads and tomatoes when I have the energy to throw them together. I've had a lot of stress/fatigue lately so miss being able to throw healthy meals together easily. I think I need to meal plan and try to set aside times for food prep (I hate courgettes).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:44 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

My stomach is a little better this week, I still have no idea what set me off but I'm trying to stay away from eating too many raw veggies, which kind of sucks when you're trying to eat healthier. I had a green smoothie this morning and felt a little queasy for maybe 45 minutes after but it wasn't anything that bothered me too much. I think the worst part is just not knowing what causes it, the evil stomach demons can strike at any time!

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:13 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Since starting my new job a month ago I've been absolutely miserable every day. I guess it's the stress? Anyway, I just figured.out all my symptoms add up to ibs and that I've had it for years. So I guess I'm going to work my way through this thread. I'm going to try a fennel supplement that got good reviews on amazon. Hope it helps because I'm not willing to change my diet quite yet!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:10 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

After 6 months of diarrhea and bloating every day I think I will have to do something, I am so fed up. I am tired all the time and most of the time would prefer eating nothing because at least that doesnt hurt so much.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:38 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I was labeled with IBS from 2000 to 2004. I had every test under the sun because I had terrible painful cramps, weeks of constipation followed by explosive diarrhea that exhausted me. Sometimes I had such terrible pain it felt like my intestines were being squeezed. It was unbearable and I fainted a few times from the pain. I also had low grade fevers as measured at many a doctor visit. To me these symptoms were not indicative of IBS but nothing could be found. I had a sigmoidoscopy, barium enema, numerous blood tests, pelvic ultrasound, CT scan...At one time I was told I was a hypochondriac and given a referal to a psychologist. Yeah. I was crying in frustration that day for missing a day a month of work (the day I had the explosive diarrhea each month). Then my periods and the time around ovulation became unbearably painful. I had the same symptoms intensified.

One day a coworker told me she had the same symptoms at one time and hers was endometriosis. I had never heard of that. I did some research and it fit me to a T! I made an appointment with a gynecologist who wanted to do a laparoscopy to look in there. He said it was the only way to truly diagnose endometriosis. At first I was too afraid so we tried hormone treatments, but they made me sicker. Finally I had the lap surgery. I had extensive endometriosis all over my bladder, colon, ligaments surrounding uterus, on uterus, around the housing of one ovary and on the other. The rise and fall of hormones throughout the month was causing the squeezing pain and cramps and the bowel issues because the endometriosis tissue implanted outside my uterus was responding to my hormones. Which explains the four years of hell I endured.

I tried Lupron shots and was very sick from them. I went to numerous gynecologists and all said get a hysterectomy, though I really didn't want one. I just wanted the endo removed but they said it was too extensive. I ended up having a total hysterectomy at the age of 33, childless, and woke up with both ovaries gone. Surgical menopause was extremely traumatic and debilitating for me. I still had to have another surgery one year later even with all my reproductive parts, including cervix, gone, because of scar tissue, leftover endometriosis not removed from my bladder, and adhesions. FINALLY the abdominal pain left me.

But only after I cleaned up my diet and then got dairy completely out and went fully vegan in February 2011 did my digestion improve dramatically. In four years I maybe have been constipated once or twice lol. Rarely any diarrhea. No abdominal pain. I truly wish I would have gone vegan before consenting to the hysterectomy. I didn't even know what it was then. In fact I wish someone would have mentioned endometriosis as a possibility for my digestive issues way back in the beginning instead of getting the runaround and being told to eat bland food. I lived on rice, applesauce, and eggs back then. Ugh.

I also now suffer with severe osteoporosis due to losing my ovaries so young (among other reasons but that is a huge one), even with hrt and calcium/d supplements. I developed an eating disorder that was triggered by the trauma and grief I went through with the hysterectomy/surgical menopause and hormone imbalance that I battled for eight years (anorexia nervosa).

I always share my story with people who suffer with IBS. Not that I think everyone who has IBS has endometriosis. Reproductive and hormone issues are an avenue that doctors do not consider nearly enough but they can profoundly affect digestion/bowels. Especially endometriosis as symptoms can be vague and may not seem to be related to periods. Thyroid problems can also cause impaired intestinal mobility and so on. Just thought I would throw this out there in case someone is desperately trying to find answers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:10 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Robin, wow, your story sounds like a hard time :(

I've wondered about endometriosis myself as I'm pretty sure my aunt has it, and I definitely get debilitating symptoms around my period. I have it mostly managed with the Nuvaring (can't take pills because they make me physically sick) but I'm going to have to come off it I think because I've been getting migraines from it.

Unfortunately my gyno was less than helpful and told me that at my age, endometriosis was extremely unlikely and he doesn't do laps in women under thirty.

Does endometriosis cause low grade fevers? I've noticed that I almost always have a low grade fever particularly when I'm flaring up.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:47 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Well, for me it's not unlikely that it's linked to hormones as I have Hashimoto's and an underactive thyroid but mostly when it was bad I used to be constipated, not feel sick and have diarrhea. I also haven't had my period in almost half a year so I doubt it's that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:18 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

vixki wrote:
Robin, wow, your story sounds like a hard time :(

I've wondered about endometriosis myself as I'm pretty sure my aunt has it, and I definitely get debilitating symptoms around my period. I have it mostly managed with the Nuvaring (can't take pills because they make me physically sick) but I'm going to have to come off it I think because I've been getting migraines from it.

Unfortunately my gyno was less than helpful and told me that at my age, endometriosis was extremely unlikely and he doesn't do laps in women under thirty.

Does endometriosis cause low grade fevers? I've noticed that I almost always have a low grade fever particularly when I'm flaring up.

It can cause low grade fevers, since it is intricately involved with the immune system, and the body is fighting what it perceives as foreign matter (the endo lesions implanted in abnormal places in the pelvic region and beyond). I found this article that explains it somewhat:
http://www.endometriosisinstitute.com/e ... elvic-pain

I'm surprised your doctor doesn't do laps in women under thirty. are you sure you mean he doesn't do hysterectomies for women under thirty? A laparoscopy, though it is still surgery, is fairly simple and not as invasive or risky as an open abdominal surgery. It is done as an outpatient procedure nowadays. Not that I am pushing surgery in any way. For me it validated that my pain was not imagined or exagerated. I just KNEW it was more than a sensitive system.

Also, you don't have to have periods to still have endometriosis. There have been documented cases of prepubescent girls and women in menopause with it, though I suppose this is not common. Strangely, having been treated for hypothyroidism for 26 years (from the time I was 16 to the present), there were many times when I was way hypo that I actually had episodes of diarrhea, and when I am on too much med and TSH is suppressed I can get bound up, though that hasn't happened in years (I have my TSH religiously monitored because too much thyroid med can worsen my existing osteoporosis).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:45 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thank you for the link. He definitely said that he wouldn't do a lap in women under thirty, unless there was "obvious reason" which apparently excruciating periods isn't. I had an ultrasound that came back clear, he said that "proved" I don't have anything wrong with me which I know isn't necessarily true.

This was also the same guy who told me that my aunt (my dads sister) having endometriosis has no relevance, because she is on my dads side, and you can't inherit menstrual disorders from your father. Which again is rubbish but I was too shy to say so.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12