| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegetarian to vegan.Need help!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:48 am 
Tofu Pup

I'm in the transition from vegetarian to vegan.
The summer months were a breeze with plenty of salads with seeds nuts avacados.I run 3 times a week plus yoga 3 times a week.The temperature has dropped and salads have lost there appeal.Im very short on time as home ed 3 lively boys and need portable meals most days as out of the house at least half the week. Also am on a low income so the meals need to be reasonably low budget.
I'm usually a high energy person all the time but am lifeless.Sleeping more than I normally would.Its affecting everything.Any ideas???

Post subject: Re: Vegetarian to vegan.Need help!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:54 am 
WRETCHED

My guess is you aren't eating enough calories, which is something some people do when they switch to vegan.

How do you define portable?
There are things like wraps but for things like dinner, I would focus on things like lentil soup, curries, etc. You could do tacos with beans and various fillings. Be sure to add fat to your foods.

Something like peanut butter and oatmeal for breakfast, A sandwich wrap with baked tofu, veggies and avocado for lunch and perhaps a coconut curry for dinner over rice?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

If you don't already have it - I highly recommend getting Isa Does It (from the library if it's not in your budget) - food is delicious, straightforward to make and I haven't made anything yet that my SO couldn't take to work with him.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'd recommend let them eat vegan by Dreena burton if you want quick easy to make recipes. As for cost, the first few months is the most expensive while you are building up your supply of pantry items but once you have it under control eating vegan is so economical.

With beans buy them dried and in larger bags. Yes it is more work but so much cheaper. Asian supermarkets are the best places to get things like that and all your herbs, spices, rice etc for a heck of a lot cheaper than normal supermarkets.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:41 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Beans and rice with vegetables is a cheap, filling nutritious meal. More than half of my meals are based on this combo, with different sauces and seasonings to mix it up.

Stock up on frozen vegetables when they're on sale if you have the freezer space, as well as canned things like beans and sauces if you don't want to make your own. Learning how to make lots of tasty sauces is well worth it though. You can make large batches of things like marinara sauce, spicy peanut sauce, stirfry sauce, curry base, etc. and freeze them in meal-sized portions.

As far as feeling tired, I agree that you might not be eating enough calories. Vegan meals tend to be lower in calories for the same amount of bulk as animal product based meals since they are higher in fiber. So even if you feel like you're eating the same amount, your calorie consumption might be too low.

Good luck with the transition!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:58 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

daisychain wrote:
I'd recommend let them eat vegan by Dreena burton if you want quick easy to make recipes. As for cost, the first few months is the most expensive while you are building up your supply of pantry items but once you have it under control eating vegan is so economical.

With beans buy them dried and in larger bags. Yes it is more work but so much cheaper. Asian supermarkets are the best places to get things like that and all your herbs, spices, rice etc for a heck of a lot cheaper than normal supermarkets.

Dreena is great! She is very generous with recipes on her website, plantpoweredkitchen.com

I also recommend Appetite for Reduction. It's designed to be weight loss friendly food, but it's not a diet book--it's my go to for hearty soups, yummy bowls, etc. the recipes are mostly all low cost to make, and almost all 30 minutes to make.

For dinner tonight, we are making up a double batch of the split pea soup from Appetite for Reduction. Filling, comforting, and very cheap to make (basically just carrots, onion, dried split peas and spices). With a big piece of hearty bread, it's a lovely cold night dinner.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:12 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Aw man, I struggle all summer long with keeping myself fed, and get excited when the temperatures cool enough to start roasting everything again. It heats up the house at night too! Soups for sure. Easy to cook a large amount and you can freeze some and portion it out for the week. I bake potatoes frequently, tossing in half a dozen at once, and keeping them in the fridge to reheat quickly for dinner or work lunches. You can ladle chili on top, or top with green onions and a cashew based sour cream or whatever fixings you're into. Along with potatoes, roasted winter squash, brussells sprouts, broccoli, etc., and baked tempeh with greens on the side makes a pretty filling meal and most of the cooking time is passive.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:41 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

linanil wrote:
My guess is you aren't eating enough calories, which is something some people do when they switch to vegan.

How do you define portable?
There are things like wraps but for things like dinner, I would focus on things like lentil soup, curries, etc. You could do tacos with beans and various fillings. Be sure to add fat to your foods.

Something like peanut butter and oatmeal for breakfast, A sandwich wrap with baked tofu, veggies and avocado for lunch and perhaps a coconut curry for dinner over rice?
This was my initial thought as well. Make sure you're getting enough carbs and fat (heresy, I know!) as the weather cools down, so you don't find yourself feeling sad, cold, hungry, cranky, and deprived. NB I'm not saying you need to fill up on stodgy, podgy food; there a rev plenty of great cold weather, vegan "comfort" dishes. I second the recommendation for Isa Does It - all those recipes are fast, easy, delicious, and use pantry staples rather than exotic and/or expensive ingredients.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:44 pm 
Chip Strong

I know I had to remind myself to eat larger portions at first! Enough beans especially. Indian food is great for getting a good amount of fat and protein, and can be made cheap.