| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: If you like to track your health...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:51 am 
Baking In The Flavor

...this little device looks very interesting - https://cue.me/product

I went ahead and took a chance on it since it's relatively inexpensive compared to repeated lab testing... and the modular design make the variety of possible tests vast - they could do a B-12 and other nutrient specific panels, or allergy panels, etc.

just hope they don't go bankrupt before it ships!

Post subject: Re: If you like to track your health...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:37 pm 
WRETCHED

I think this would be one to watch and you may even see competitors come on the market. With a year away from shipping, I'd be wary of pre-ordering myself.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:47 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

heh, they're direct competitors to the company I work for. I'm *really* excited for what this space will look like in the fairly near future.

I know we're working on a specific problem with real information/outcomes. I'm worried a lot of the others will be similar to pedometers today - collecting tons of information with no real analytical outcomes. kind of pointless. on the flipside, if they open their platform (so they're essentially a hardware vendor), then tons of neat things can be done by a community :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:29 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Of the 5 things they test for only one is vaguely interesting to me, and not the kind of thing that would be worth testing frequently (Vit. D). I don't know what would be worth testing frequently, actually. Also, there is no way in hell I would be able to take a swab for the flu. Had that done once, never again.

I don't entirely understand this product, and I am a huge fan of the self-measuring lifestyle. I am a little surprised there is really a market for this (testing these particular things anyway).

I wouldn't mind doing at-home D, B-12, lipids, HbA1C, couple other things, but I probably wouldn't do them more than once every six months. I can see a market for the "fertility" cartridge, although there are also ovulation pee-on-a-stick kits out there that I think are pretty good and probably much cheaper.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:51 am 

Ariann wrote:
I can see a market for the "fertility" cartridge, although there are also ovulation pee-on-a-stick kits out there that I think are pretty good and probably much cheaper.

stay tuned ;) that's exactly what we're working on

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:40 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

what appeals to me most about the concept of a device like this is that it would allow me to test more frequently for the same or less cost as quarterly/annual bloodwork.

for example a "nutrient panel" costs me about $350 - and checks Vitamin B12, Folate, Vitamin D 25-hydroxy, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Selenium, Zinc, CoQ10, and RBC magnesium.

if a cartridge for each of these existed and was around $5 - I could do the full panel at home for about $45. then if my B12 was low, for example, i could re-test just that after adjusting my supplements or whatever for another $5 instead of the $33 that the lab charges.

joshua - is your company focused on just the one issue, or will it be expanding into other health markers eventually?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:17 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I can see why it'd be useful if you are interest in so many values. I don't care about more than half of that stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:51 am 

zero33 wrote:
joshua - is your company focused on just the one issue, or will it be expanding into other health markers eventually?

really working on female reproductive stuff first, but the tech we're using can be applied elsewhere later if we choose to. we just believe that female fertility is an area of science+society that needs (much!) more dignity and focus, and to empower people to make informed decisions about their body. we've got quite a broad vision for it, but still focused on the same space

the rest (i.e. b12) isn't so personal that it needs any real special attention - it's lab work, and that's already a pretty defined/clear (although expensive if you live in the wrong country) problem+solution

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:59 am 
WRETCHED

I have medical insurance so doing labs doesn't cost me anything other than my time to make an appt. I think it'd be interesting to see certain things including common vitamin deficiencies (vitamin D, B12, iron), blood glucose level and other factors.