| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Iodine
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:56 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Does anyone have any experience with iodine deficiency, and/or taking iodine supplements?

Post subject: Re: Iodine
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:52 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i take now vitamin's thyroid support for the iodine. (bonus, it also has B12 as methylcobalamin) it makes me burpy, so i just take it at nighttime.
i don't think i've been taking it long enough to show too much of a difference, but my face is clearer. (but that could also be from the vitex. i'm doing both.) this past week, i've lost a lb or two without trying, so maybe! :-)

i also make sure to buy iodized sea salt. (i don't remember to use it when not directed to in a recipe, though. i have to be better about that, but unfortunately, i have appx 90/50 BP and the mr. has higher than normal BP, so it can get sticky.)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:29 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

i supplement with 1mg five days out of the week

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:35 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I've read really conflicting things about whether or not one should supplement with iodine. My diet is very very low in iodine, I recently realized, and I'm wondering if this could have something to do with my thyroid issues.

How did you decide to supplement, and with how much?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:47 am 

i realised i had almost all the symptoms of underactive thyroid (although some of them might be crossover symptoms from the low BP), and also that i pretty much never eat anything with iodine in it. in my reading, i realised i didn't want to eventually have to supplement the thyroid hormones themselves after my thyroid has been irreparably ruined, so i figured i'd take the supplements to see if they help at all. like a preemptive measure. seems to have worked so-far. (i went down another lb today! i would be so excited if this keeps going.)

the pill i take has a suggested dose of 2 capsules, but i only take one. (so that means i'm only taking 112.5 mcg per day) looks like the upper limit is 900 mcg for young adults and 1100 mcg for adults. the RDA is: "...people age 14 and older, 150 mcg/day. For pregnant women, the RDA is 209 mcg/day..." so i'm close enough. maybe i'll make salt consumption my #1 priority. i really need to absorb more water and up my BP, so if i focus on that, i'd probably make up the difference that way. (i've just never been a fan of taking the same pill twice a day. it's a moneysaver at least. maybe once or twice a week i'll take a second one. we'll see. my memory hasn't made a recovery yet. i think i might have been deficient for 14 years. that's when my memory problems started being noticeable, and i gained 30 lbs in one year.)

also, pretty sure my horrible plate-like dandruff was a symptom of iodine deficiency. it's been gone for months now. (i had that stuff for at least 4 years! so gross.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:34 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

my reasons were similar to supercarrot's - i rarely eat anything that contains iodine and was experiencing a variety of symptoms attributable to hypothyroidism.

after much reading i chose to supplement with potassium iodide capsules to ensure a standardized a dose, which i concluded somehow would be 1000mcg (1mg).

it has been just over a year, and i plan to follow-up with a blood panel soon to see where i'm at.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:40 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

we had a poster on the old boards (aviva?) who was an iodine crusader and had some really interesting info on iodine. not sure if that is all cached and searchable somewhere or what.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:53 pm 

i looked on archive.org, and couldn't find it.

i do remember [footface?] posting a PSA on iodine, but i remember it was talking about pregnancy and fetal brain development, so i didn't pay much attention to it. if i had known it plays a part in metabolism, i would have been all over it. aah well. better late than never.

oh! zero, how are you feeling these days? do you think it's made a difference?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:44 am 
Seagull of the PPK

yes, that was aviva, his subnick was actually iodine crusader if i recall.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:38 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

i've been reading a lot about the relationship between iodine and thyroid function, and am surprised i'd never heard about this before. it looks like a lot of vegans probably get very little to no iodine. i'm wondering if this is related to my thyroid function problems....

was the PSA pro- or anti- iodine?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:18 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I eat about as much iodine as a non-vegan because I only cook with iodized salt. My understanding is that there has been a lot more iodine deficiency in recent decades among all (American) populations since sea salt became a thing. There's a reason they added the iodine to salt in the first place!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:06 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Yeah, but if salt isn't great for us, and we are being encouraged to cut back on it, why don't they supplement something else besides salt with iodine?

I'm pretty sure the Veg Life multi vitamin I take every day has iodine in it, but now I feel a need to double check.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:44 am 
Baking In The Flavor

supercarrot wrote:
oh! zero, how are you feeling these days? do you think it's made a difference?

despite being obsessed with the whole "quantified self" thing, i'm a poor excuse for a scientist - i've made so many changes to my diet and lifestyle over the last 18 months it would be impossible to say what effect any one of those changes was responsible for... you'd probably laugh (in a worried sort of way) if you saw just how many herbs and supplements i use.

that said, i do feel much better! my energy level got to the point where i started exercising regularly, my skin and scalp are no longer dry, and the last time i checked my thyroid numbers they were improved. i still have issues with some gluten digestion, but i can drink a beer or eat a piece of bread every now and then without much of reaction - but not seitan yet, which is a bummer.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:59 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Iodine is supposedly one of the only ways to rid the body of flouride so I was researching it last night.. kinda random yeah. I have issues with flouride. Regardless I think it's probably a good idea for vegans to take iodine. Apparently most omnis get theirs from seafood and dairy. Unless you eat a lot of sea veggies or using a lot of salt supplemented w iodine you're most likely not getting enough. I am probably getting close to none myself.

vegetable sources-
baked poato 1 med potato = 40%
dried prunes 5 prunes = 9%DV
seaweed 1/4 oz. = 3000%
navy beans 1/2 cup = 21% DV
cranberries 4 oz = 267% DV

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:03 pm 

awesome, zero! (mostly, at least. poo on the seitan.) but it's great that you've been able to start exercising. (i read a little more about hypothyroidism, and it looks like low BP is common. so i guess i don't have 2 separate issues after all.) i'm still getting super sleepy in the afternoon, but like i said, i only started a few months ago. i had a concerning tri-phasic temperature shift on my FAM charts. (generally, that means you're pregnant) but it could have definitely been from my temperature in general getting warmer from a better metabolism. i had been uncharacteristically overheating at night time, so we'll see if that sticks around.

i was browsing the $2 bin of supplements at the health food store and found some other thyroid support supplements. (super nutrition's women's blend suggests 6 pills a day!!! no thanks. i'll just take one.) that'll give me another 45 mcg. and i also found country life's thyro-max and if i take 1/2 the suggested 2 pills, it's another 225 mcg. i only have 60 of those, so i'll be at 383 mcg for 2 months, and then i'll drop down to 157 after they run out. that seems reasonable. i like the method of taking 1/2 dosages of 2 different pills. you get an average of what the different companies think you need. works for me!

and thanks, skottie! interesting about the cranberries.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:50 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I like the way you think SuperC! I'm always mixing and matching dosages of diff supplements.

And I think it applies to dried cranberries too wouldn't you think? I don't know how that stuff works and the internet didn't help answer.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:01 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
Yeah, but if salt isn't great for us, and we are being encouraged to cut back on it, why don't they supplement something else besides salt with iodine?

I'm pretty sure the Veg Life multi vitamin I take every day has iodine in it, but now I feel a need to double check.

Two things - I think salt is fortified to a level that if you get the RDA of sodium, you will also get your RDA if iodine, but now most of our sodium comes from processed foods anyway, which aren't fortified with iodine. The other thing is that the "lite" salt I get (half the sodium, the rest is potassium chloride) is also iodized.

I think it is common for multivitamins to contain iodine.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:38 pm 

SkottieMcFlea wrote:
I like the way you think SuperC! I'm always mixing and matching dosages of diff supplements.

And I think it applies to dried cranberries too wouldn't you think? I don't know how that stuff works and the internet didn't help answer.

i don't see why not. looks like iodine is water soluble, and says it sublimates at 236.7 F (but that's from solid to gas, and i'd assume it's dissolved while in the fresh cranberry, and i can't find any temperature where it'll evaporate. still looking.)

for dehydrated cranberries (if it turns out it needs a high temperature to evaporate), it'll just apply to a lighter-weight dosage, since the water is gone. cranberries will be showing up in stores soon, so i'll see how many 2 oz is, and report back. (the dehydrated cranberries i've seen have always been cut in half, so account for that.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:47 pm 

ok, so, i just found this, and it turns out that when it's potassium iodide (the most common form of supplementation) the iodine is able to sublime at room temperature! oh no! why is salt sold in paper cylinders, then? i guess now i will always pour my iodized salt into a glass container as soon as i get home from the store.

http://chem-eng.utoronto.ca/~diosady/sltstblty.html

Quote:
Potassium iodide is less stable than potassium iodate, as it can be oxidized to elemental iodine by oxygen or other oxidizing agents, especially in the presence of impurities, such as metal ions and moisture, which catalyze the reaction. Potassium iodate may be reduced to the elemental iodine by a variety of reducing agents in the salt, such as ferrous ions.
Ranganathan, et al. (1986) found that coarse salt iodized with iodate at "normal" room temperature and humidity showed iodine losses of 20% after 12 months, while samples stabilized with calcium carbonate lost no iodine over an 18- month period.
At high humidity the losses were more dramatic: in some samples effectively all of the iodine added to the sample disappeared within six months. At high humidity, the samples stored in containers which allowed contact with the air, lost two thirds or more of the added iodine within the year.
Salt purification is the best technical means of preventing iodine loss; however, this would be prohibitively expensive in the short term for many developing countries.
so it looks like my sea salt that has been stored in a paper cylinder next to the oven (in the humid philadelphia area) for the past year or two is probably devoid of iodine.

i looked on google scholar, and found a reference to dehydrated cranberries on page 39 of Backcountry Cooking: From Pack to Plate in 10 Minutes By Dorcas S. Mille
library availability. nowhere near me: http://www.worldcat.org/title/backcount ... c/38174177

(the same list is in this book too) Raw Survival: Living the Raw Lifestyle On and Off the Grid By Lisa Montgomery
http://www.worldcat.org/title/raw-survi ... /819924083

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:38 pm 
***LIES!!!***

It isn't clear to me from the quote above if this is a problem in the developed world with purified salt. Sounds like it just isn't a great idea to rely on iodized sea salt, but regular salt might be fine.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:41 pm 

yeah, that's how i read it too. (and if you find some plain NaCl with CaCO2, even better. but sea salts aren't identical. there might be some that have calcium naturally?)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:32 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

My salt has been in paper directly above the stove.. poop.

I live literally a 5 min bike ride from cranberry bogs so i'm looking forward to eating some. Happy to find out they have even more benefits! and that book on Raw Survival look awesome! Must check out.

If anyone on here who hasn't been on iodine starts let us know how it goes for you. as soon as i get some money im going to test the waters. er. cranberries... w/e

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:23 pm 

i wanted to recheck how long i've been taking the 112.5 mcg, and it turns out i've been taking it since april 2013! (so maybe it IS the vitex that's been making me feel better, since i only started that 3 or 4 months ago. so i guess it is a good thing that i'm going to be experimenting with a larger dose of iodine for the next few months. i just hope these 3 lbs lost isn't just a fluke. *nervous*)

if you do get the book, make sure to come back and let us know how much is in the dried cranberries.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:05 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

According to the paper cited, at 60% humidity in a closed container the half life of KI was about a year. At 60% humidity/open container (I.e., no lid) or 90% humidity/closed container the half life was 6 months. It's accelerated by sunlight. I think as long as you don't have an uncovered bowl sitting on your counter and use it within a year you're probably ok. I never see my salt yellow, which would indicate i2 formation. I think desiccants are often added to table salt as well, which helps. The paper packaging might also actually help control humidity within the canister.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:47 am 

thanks, couroupita! :-) that makes sense. yeah, mine has never clumped, so that's a good sign, too.