| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chiropractors
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:18 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I just started going to the chiropractor after a two week stretch of horrendous pain at the base of my skull. X-Rays showed that my top vertebra was rubbing the back of my skull (or something to that extent) thus creating the awful pain. I've been going for maybe two weeks now and it's starting to feel better.

I was just wondering what you all thought of chiropractors...are they quacks or legit method for fixing your body? It was really interesting to hear the chiro explain how if a person has a problem somewhere else in their body, it can be related back to a problem in the spine. For example, you could be having irregular heartbeats because the spine is pinching the nerve ending that leads to your heart. He was also saying how he has been adjusting his children since birth and they've never really been sick. What do you think about this sort of practice? Should I buy into the hoopla?

Post subject: Re: Chiropractors
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:58 pm 
Grandfathered In

Don't know much about chiropractic. The idea that muscular or bone issues could be tied to the spine and alignment and posture doesn't seem weird to me. The idea that the immune system and disease are tied into the alignment of your spine seems cuckoo.

quackwatch.org has things to ssy about it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:05 pm 
Grandfathered In

And here is the skeptical guide to chiropractic.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:08 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I think there's something to it, but I would never go to one. A lot of the techniques they use are basically manual therapy that we use with PT. I feel like a lot of them are a little too gung ho with the "adjustments" and not so willing to pursue other avenues of treatment (stretching, strengthening, etc.). This is just from what I've heard though... for you it seems like a good idea, especially since it's a spine-based issue.
My issue: While many problems are based in neuro, I feel like he's giving the spine a bit too much credit. The point about about his kids seems moot. As a kids, my sister and I were resilient little buggers. I feel like that's more based in basic health and immunity (getting exposed to things, getting good nutrition, etc.)
As for his point on the heart, ehhhhh... Heart problems can involve many different systems. It could be a pinched nerve, but also it could be calcium, sodium, and lactic acid build up around your heart from lack of blood flow, which would be an issue with your blood vessels rather than your nervous system. Ischemia (lack of blood and oxygen) because of clogged arteries seems to be a more prevalent cause of irregular heart beats (dysrhythmias) and you'd deal with that with medications for stability and a carefully planned exercise program.

I'm sure there are a great chiropractors out there and there are bad ones, just like there are good and bad doctors, nurses, dentists, etc... and if he works for you that's great! Of course, I'm super biased, but I would send anyone I love to their primary care provider first and then to a PT!
And it would probably be one of my professors...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:27 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

FootFace wrote:

Thanks for this link. There are definitely some articles on there I'll be reading.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:42 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I just mentioned this in another thread. I have been to quacks and good doctors. My current Chiro incorporates stretching and massage with the adjustments. If they say you need to come a lot-more than once a week for months chances are they are quacks. Mine only wants to see me on an as needed basis and after 3 visits if you don't feel better you need to go to a different doctor.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:49 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Puma wrote:
I just mentioned this in another thread. I have been to quacks and good doctors. My current Chiro incorporates stretching and massage with the adjustments. If they say you need to come a lot-more than once a week for months chances are they are quacks. Mine only wants to see me on an as needed basis and after 3 visits if you don't feel better you need to go to a different doctor.

That sounds nice. Mine currently has me going 3 times a week for the first few weeks then tapered off to two times, etc. He also wants patients to go to his half hour talk/seminar things on Tuesday nights and has all these different ways to invite people and recommend all your friends which I think is really excessive. I just kind of want to be like 'look, I'm here for you to fix my pain, not to be your personal advertiser.' But I'd rather not be in pain so I've just put up with it for now.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:51 pm 

wonderland wrote:
Puma wrote:

That sounds nice. Mine currently has me going 3 times a week for the first few weeks then tapered off to two times, etc. He also wants patients to go to his half hour talk/seminar things on Tuesday nights and has all these different ways to invite people and recommend all your friends which I think is really excessive. I just kind of want to be like 'look, I'm here for you to fix my pain, not to be your personal advertiser.' But I'd rather not be in pain so I've just put up with it for now.

Yeah Your going to a quack! Is he selling you supplements and creams?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:53 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Puma wrote:
wonderland wrote:
Puma wrote:

Yeah Your going to a quack! Is he selling you supplements and creams?

Nope, no supplements or creams...yet, ha.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:59 pm 

What are the meetings about? He isn't a scientologist is he?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:14 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Puma wrote:

No, I'm pretty sure he's a Christian, no scientology involved. The meetings are just like "how to manage your chronic pain" and stuff like that. I actually haven't been to one yet because I keep making up excuses as to why I can't go. It's not like...cult-y or anything if that's the impression you got.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:26 pm 

wonderland wrote:
Puma wrote:

No, I'm pretty sure he's a Christian, no scientology involved. The meetings are just like "how to manage your chronic pain" and stuff like that. I actually haven't been to one yet because I keep making up excuses as to why I can't go. It's not like...cult-y or anything if that's the impression you got.

Yeah sort of. I just couldn't imagine why he has a group meeting if it wasn't to recruit or sell something. It seems like a potential HIPPA violation type thing. Does he charge for the meeting?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:34 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Puma wrote:
wonderland wrote:
Puma wrote:

Yeah sort of. I just couldn't imagine why he has a group meeting if it wasn't to recruit or sell something. It seems like a potential HIPPA violation type thing. Does he charge for the meeting?

Nope, it's free. Free to the public too. I guess they're more like workshops like, "how water helps the body" and "how to take care of your spine"...things of that nature.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:03 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I was the one to ask to go once a week when I first started--my chiro wanted me to wait 2. I ended up going once a week 3 times, then every other week a couple times, and then a one month checkup that I was told I could cancel if I felt all better. He then told me to call if I'm in pain again, if not he wished me well. I believe that our spine can get out of whack and that adjustments are really helpful for muscle pain in and around your back. Part of the reason I think this is that I can feel when somethings not right. I dont believe it has anything to do with the immune system and would not see a chiro who (openly) felt that way.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:43 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Chiro-related activities such as massages (lymphatic release, ahh!), adjustments (pain=inflammation), exercise (lowers inflammation in the long run, makes you stronger, less liable to to injury) and the general lowering of stress from all of the ailments that end one up at a chiropractor are good for your immune system. Just sayin'. If you're chiropractor isn't doing a combination of all of these things and instead just adjusting you a billion times without regard, they're worthless. Especially if they think that the only way to make your life better is to eat lots of meat and get lots of adjustments from them. Eww.

Another thought, how much do chiropractors rely on x-rays? Are these always worthwhile? Seems like unnecessary radiation if you're no in an emergency. What about ultrasound? I know MD's are pretty liable to expose people to radiation too much, as well, but I am ignorant about the frequency at with chiropractors use x-rays and whether it is problematic in the long run.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:30 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I've had problems with my cervical spine (pinched nerve, unable to move). They went away after a single visit to the doctor where I was given an injection of diclofenac. I never saw the guy again and I didn't get a prescription for anything. I shudder to think what a chiro might have done, since I was so tense realigning anything was impossible. People have diedafter having their necks adjusted. PT seems safer.

I'd certainly make a run for it the moment someone mentions subluxation, i.e. spinal misalignments causing visceral problems. Even some chiropractors think it's nonsense.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:58 am 

Mine does not x ray on site. Some people get sent for x-rays.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:30 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

FootFace wrote:
Don't know much about chiropractic. The idea that muscular or bone issues could be tied to the spine and alignment and posture doesn't seem weird to me. The idea that the immune system and disease are tied into the alignment of your spine seems cuckoo.

This statement sums up perfectly how I feel about chiropractors. It just seems logical that muscle and nerves can be affected by the position of your spine and that many things in life can mess up that position. I've had chiropractors tell me that having a straight spine can prevent everything from the common cold to cancer though, and that is just crazeh.

The craziest person in my family is a chiropractor. He's actually been a chiropractor for a really really long time. Like, since as long as chiropractic has been widely known. One time I had a runny nose for a few days, he said "let me fix that for you" and popped something in my back and neck simultaneously before I knew what was happening, and my nose stopped running instantly. True story.

However, my uncle definitely fits into the cuckoo, thinks chiropractic cures everything set. He also doesn't eat anything. At all. He only takes supplements and juices things and drinks them. For the past 10 years.

So, I'd say if you have a muscle/skeletal problem, go ahead and visit a chiropractor. If you have other problems that a chiropractor thinks he can fix, go ahead and give it a try with your skeptic's hat on and don't let yourself get placebo-effected into wasting money or time.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:35 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

No chiro is touching my neck, period.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:53 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i personally think they're pretty hokey when it gets away from bones and backs, but the chiropractor kept my father functioning for years (he broke his back in Vietnam) where surgery, traction, and drugs did nothing. as a kid i used to go to the chiro with dad and the cracking and groaning made me forking terrified. i do remember there being very few Xrays and that the doctor would be able to "feel" how things were lined up. No nutrition, no creams, no bullshiitake, just a lot of snap, crackle and pop.

Mr Torque right now is dealing with an elbow issue (screwdriver elbow?) that the orthopedic surgeon suggests ice and lots of antiinflammatories, which aren't too great for his liver over the long term. He's started doing acupuncture and mogusa/moxa (japanese/chinese therapy that involves burning an herb on the skin along with acupuncture). I've always thought it to be BS but it makes him feel 100% and doesn't involve him frying his liver, so i can't complain even though i'm skeptical.