| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ovary removal?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:35 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Apologies if there is already a topic for this, but I could not locate one.

Due to a rather large (4-6 cm) cyst on my left ovary, my gynecologist has recommended surgical removal of that ovary. In her opinion, the cyst will not shrink (something about the unusual surface and large size) and the chance of complications outweigh the wait-and-see option.

I'd really like to hear from anyone who has had an ovary removed and would like to talk about. My gynecologist assured me that the remaining ovary would fill in just fine, but I'm wondering if there are other side effects.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: ovary removal?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I had the same thing about 3 years ago. I had a cyst the size of a grapefruit on my right ovary. It had twisted around and caught up the fallopian tube, so I had to have both removed. It was an emergency(ish) surgery, and because of the size of it, they had to actually slice me open to remove it (no keyhole surgery for me!).

I have had absolutely no side effects. Before I went on birth control, my period was exactly the same with one ovary as with two. I didn't even skip one. (It was the bc that forked up my period, not the missing ovary.) The worst part about it was the constipation brought on by the pain meds + iron supplements (the cyst itself stole a lot of blood, and the surgery didn't help, so I was anemic). If the cyst/surgery don't cause anemia, you won't have that problem.

ETA - Good luck with the surgery! And try not to worry.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:44 pm 
Santa is a WELFARIST!

I also have cysts! We discussed removal of the ovary and I was advised it would most likely not interfere with my normal cycles. Fortunately there has been no further growth and I have not needed it removed....yet. The gyno was very optimistic about the surgery should I require it. She mentioned some hormone replacements to be taken after and a possible dip in libido. Good luck...!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Lemme just say, I didn't have any kind of dip in libido. Then again, I only started having sex again (from a 4-year hiatus) after I had the surgery. Still, I'm pretty sure it didn't make any difference.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:42 pm 
Santa is a WELFARIST!

I'm sure it varies for everyone. Oh hormones, you so wacky.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:39 pm 
Tofu Pup

I had an ovarian cyst that was about 17cm in diameter which the hospital only discovered when they were performing my emergency c-section, it was removed and I have been totally fine...I conceived again about 9 months later and my cycle is more regular with one ovary than what it ever was with two. No dip in libido (other than caused by anti-depressants) either.

Good luck with the surgery, you'll be fine.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:50 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Thanks for the support, everyone!

I called my gynecologist this morning to go ahead and schedule surgery. I was informed that due to a cancellation, I could have it done tomorrow (!!!) but decided that was a little too soon. It's look like the start of January now so if I can just avoid any more stabbity pain before then, I should be golden.