| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shedding weight and a little worried
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:23 am 
Tofu Pup

Howdy folks. I completely stopped eating meat about 2 weeks ago. I haven't given up eggs/dairy yet, though I don't eat a lot of it. During that time, I've been eating a relatively healthy diet, though I've probably had more than my fair share of cookies and Halloween candy. I've probably been a little light on calories, but I've eaten enough seeds, nuts, and whole grains that I don't think I am tooooo far below what I should be eating.

The problem is that during this 2 week period, I've lost almost 8 pounds. I went from 160 just before I stopped eating meat, to 152.5 as of this morning. And I've been exercising very little. I expected to lose some weight, but I didn't expect it be nearly this fast. Honestly it's got me a little worried. Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Shedding weight and a little worried
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:09 am 
Dead by dawn

Keep a food log for a week or so. You might genuinely be surprised at how few calories you're eating; when you completely change your style of eating it can be hard to know how to plan meals, etc... Looking at what you eating in terms of servings of fruits/vegetables, servings of grains, servings of legumes, etc... ought to give you a good idea of where/how to add calories as well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:23 am 
And you never will.

Also, some of that may just be bloat. Food can hang out in your body for a while if your digestion is slowed (and meat slows digestion). Upping fiber plus eliminating meat might mean you have, um, eliminated some stuff that was just hanging around.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:26 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Jordan's food journal idea is a good one. Try something like sparkpeople.com or some other site with a calorie tracker, maybe. Also, keeping a variety of healthy snacks around helps; a handful of nuts between meals might help.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:45 am 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

poopiebitch wrote:
Also, some of that may just be bloat. Food can hang out in your body for a while if your digestion is slowed (and meat slows digestion). Upping fiber plus eliminating meat might mean you have, um, eliminated some stuff that was just hanging around.

Yup. Certainly keep track, but I wouldn't be surprised that it would level off after your body finds a new, less bloated center.

I know that depending on time of day and meals and water in and out can flux me a few pounds in a single day! So you may have lost some, but it might not *really* be 8 pounds.