| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: vegan flu shots: a guide
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:10 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Hey everyone,

My local vegan facebook group had a thread about flu shots a while back which inspired me to look into the new high-tech flu shots that do not use virus grown in chicken eggs.

It wound up being a really fun project, looking into the science behind the new flu shots including some of the problems with conventional flu shots that they overcome. I wound up getting one of the fancy new flu shots, and put together a guide for how to do so (in the US).

Take a look, and I'd appreciate (constructive) feedback!

Ed v. Food - Vegan Flu Shots: A guide

http://edvfood.com/2015/01/08/vegan-flu-shots-a-guide/

Thanks!

Ed

Post subject: Re: vegan flu shots: a guide
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:38 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I saw this article somewhere else and find it very helpful so thank you!

That said, where I live the vegan flu shots are only approved for people with demonstrated allergies to egg or other ingredients in the conventional flu shot. You must provide a doctors note and proof of your allergy to get it. I think it is because of the expense or maybe it is more difficult to obtain the newer flu vaccines? I don't know. Someday I hope they become more widely available.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:28 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Thanks for the reply!

Out of curiosity, where do you live?

In the US, they are approved for the general public (over 18 years of age), so no doctors note should be necessary.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:34 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I'll note that they are rapidly being approved more broadly.

In the US, approval status of FluBlok changed during the course of my researching the article (18-65 to 18+). Once there's good evidence for them, there's a fair chance that these would even replace conventional vaccines (to overcome manufacturing bottlenecks), but it'll take some time.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:13 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I live in northern Minnesota. I just went to the FluBlok website and see that the nearest town in Minnesota that offers this shot is about three hours away from where I live. I realize now that I was mixing up FluBlok with the nasal vaccine which has more stringent rules about use and coverage. I think it's simply a matter of it not being available or well known yet up here. I do recall asking about an egg free version of the flu shot and being told they didn't offer any (I got it through my place of employment which is also a medical complex). I am going to contact my insurance company and see if they would cover it, but since I would have to travel to an out of network area to get it chances are they wouldn't. Hopefully that will change! I might be able to ask the pharmacy about how they acquire the flu vaccine and if it would be possible to get an egg free version. I guess it can't hurt to ask!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:42 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

The FluBlok website is way out of date. According to them, there is no FluBlok clinic in San Francisco, and I've been to one. :)

If there's a Wallgreens in your town, they claim they can do recombinant flu shots. I'd give your pharmacy a call and ask if they can get one.