| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Candida Support thread
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:27 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

mishka wrote:
Epicurvegan wrote:
I've had tinea versicolour too

So strange that you both have the skin condition - does he experience anything else yeast-related? It would make cooking in your home a bit easier if you both had to follow a candida diet :)

So, I said that I was avoiding even non-active yeast, not realising that Daiya contained some. And I just bought a whole whack of it and ate some for lunch. There is conflicting info online about whether nutritional yeast contibutes to candida, so I think I'm going to allow it. Because I may lose my will to live otherwise.

He was convinced for a while it was my fault he had it, until I even had a doctor verify that it's not contagious and occurrs as a symptom in people with a yeast problem.

Interestingly, my mum says my dad had it though she never "caught" it from him.

Years ago, when I was first put on an ACD, a naturopath told me that nooch was kiboshed. I argued that it was both inactive and not the kind of yeast that could contribute to candida. She said otherwise, but I wasn't entirely sure she even knew what nooch was.

I too think I may just curl up and die if I can't even have nooch. Sugar, caffiene, cashews (*sob*) - I can handle all of that. But for the luva gawd, there's still gotta be nooch!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:46 am 
Baking In The Flavor

mishka wrote:

So, I said that I was avoiding even non-active yeast, not realising that Daiya contained some. And I just bought a whole whack of it and ate some for lunch. There is conflicting info online about whether nutritional yeast contibutes to candida, so I think I'm going to allow it. Because I may lose my will to live otherwise.

nooch does not affect candida. A nutritionist friend of mine that there are studies being done that shows that is actually good for getting rid of candida. (I'm not sure how that works) But I haven't had any problems with just nooch. Usually if I have anything that has yeast in it I'm screwed for a week, but I'm still doing good with that :)

I think I would have died a while ago if nutritional yeast was a no-no

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:24 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

BunniesRevenge wrote:
nooch does not affect candida.

Well, good. Because I've been eating it :)

The only thing is, I've been feeling a bit more bloaty lately, though that could be PMS. And, two days ago I was in the vicinity of vegan doughnuts, so I had one. My only intentional "cheat" so far (other than the cashews). By the end of the day, my face was flushed (on the left side, as usual) and I'm not sure if it was the sugar, the gluten, or the stress of driving in the rain and dark that evening.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:28 pm 
Saggy Butt

Hello all. Nice to finally find evidence of other vegans going on this diet! Every time I search for something online about candida I get directed to some forum filled with people whining about how horribly limited the diet is, complaining about having to make their own mayonnaise, not having toast with their bacon and egg in the morning, or not having a baked potato with their meat and veg at dinner time. I would like to be more supportive but part of me wants to yell out YOU GUYS HAVE NO IDEA HOW HARD IT IS TO DO THIS AS A VEGAN. I've been on the diet and have been taking pills and a tincture I got as a "cleansing kit" for 2 weeks now. It's difficult to tell exactly what's happening with my body, because although my digestion has certainly improved, this might just be the result of my heightened dietary conscience, i.e. being much more disciplined about planning my meals and eating only whole foods. I decided to try the diet to see if it would help with my eczema, which has been worsening over the past 6 years. Less worrisome digestive issues led me to believe that the issue might be related to my gut. My eczema has improved somewhat, however it always comes and goes in cycles so who is to say it's not just lying dormant for a while, waiting to surprise me with another outbreak as soon as I believe I'm cured.

As far as veganism causing candida problems is concerned, I'd be willing to go along with the belief that vegans are more prone. We do often depend rather heavily on carbs. At the same time though, the apparent correlation between candida and veganism might just be due to vegans having a more heightened awareness of dietary and health issues than non-vegans (because we're used to people constantly accusing us of being malnourished). Also, on average we're more likely to hang out around the health food stores and the kinds of places where people discuss candida overgrowth symptoms and remedies. So perhaps it's just that we vegans are more likely to receive a candida diagnosis, and there are many more omnivores walking around with candida issues they are oblivious to.

A sidenote: if you try xylitol as a replacement for sugar, be careful. Don't overdo it. I've been using one packet a day in my tea for these past 2 weeks with no problems. Last night, however, I desperately needed a cookie and baked some using almond flour and xylitol. I'm not 100% sure it was the xylitol, but late last night and all day today I have been feeling extremely nauseated, as well as exhausted and dizzy. On the plus side though, I no longer want to be anywhere near cookies.

Anyways, I'm writing a little blog about my experiences with this diet, with some informal (i.e. crappy) recipes: vegancandidadiet.blogspot.com

Best of luck to all of you!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:24 am 
Baking In The Flavor

thats awesome that your starting a blog about it!!
I remember going through the cleanse, it was hell. Because when your first starting it and the large die off's happen you just want to crawl into a hole and die

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:05 pm 
Saggy Butt

I'm actually kind of concerned that this mysterious-sounding "die-off" hasn't hit me at all. I know everyone's different but is there any general time one can expect it to happen? I thought I'd have had symptoms within my first 2 weeks, and I have been really tired and generally shaky and unwell feeling for about a week, but that could be from PMS, work-related stress, my horribly stressful personal life, etc. Too many factors flying around. I really hope that candida IS my problem because if it's not, I have no idea what it could be as elimination diets and allergy tests haven't been able to pinpoint any other possibilities. Oh well though, if it's not the miracle cure I'm looking for, at least it's forced me to eat way more veggies, nuts and healthy oils, instead of depending on the convenience of carbs.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:24 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I felt the die off happen a few times, basically I was nauseous, shaky, light headed, achy all over, and basically poopy feeling. This started to happen to me with a few days and happened a few other times within the first month

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:16 pm 
Saggy Butt

I've felt vaguely like that on a number of days (basically like I was going to come down with flu), and on Friday I felt so awful I had to spend the whole afternoon and evening in bed, but of course I attibuted that to the xylitol in my cookies - too many factors! I need a professional diet coach.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:02 pm 
Saggy Butt

I was wondering if anyone might be willing to weigh in with his/her knowledge about what kinds of grains are or are not okay. I've been super strict so far and have not been using any grains at all, just quinoa and amaranth. Actually, that's a lie, I tried some kasha but hated it so that's out. Anyways, I keep finding "candida diet" recipes that involve whole grains, and I keep finding really interesting/appetizing things at the health food store made with various whole grains. I'm not sure if they're okay for me to eat, or if I should add them in after a couple more weeks, or what.

Kamut
Millet
Barley
Rye
Oats
Teff
Spelt
Brown rice/brown rice flour
others I can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:58 am 
Baking In The Flavor

so pretty much after a year of cutting out all yeasted foods, and cutting back on sugar and other yeast feeders, taking the pills, the cleanses, and vitamin cleanse pills - nothing has forking worked. I think its as bad now as it was when I was still eating bread. I'm like a minute away from making a pb&J sandwich. what the fizzle do I do? Is this happening with anyone else?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:59 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

BunniesRevenge, I'm really sorry that you're having a hard time getting relief. I think that part of it might be that unless you are immune compromised, you simply cannot have a "systemic" yeast infection. This is a good summary of the systemic candida hypothesis and the criticisms against it: http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRel ... ndida.html

I hope that doesn't sound mean or unsympathetic. I just read your post about your diet not working, and I hope that that article might help shed some light on why.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:44 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Have any of y'all had good luck getting rid of tinea versicolor with the anti-candida diet? (I few people here said they had it.)

I've had tinea show up, then go away a bunch of times in the past 5 years, but I wish there was something I could do to make it go away for good (like change my diet?). I know I eat too much sugar (it's my vice in an otherwise healthy lifestyle), so I started to suspect I might have a yeast issue that's making it happen (also I got a lot of yeast infections growing up), so maybe my system just sucks at dealing with yeasties.

Anywho, has following the candida diet/ cutting out sugar helped anyone with tinea? I saw another person said they got rid of eczema with an anti-candida diet... so maybe there's something to this? I don't know, I'm just realllllllly sick of having to cover up my body in hot Florida weather because there are yucky scales on my chest and back. Also, I don't want to continue to rely on ketoconazole every time I get a flare up because that stuff is hard on your body, especially the liver.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:48 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Epicurvegan wrote:
I've read that this tinea versicolour is related to candida in that it's an external symptom of a general yeast overgrowth in the body.

Can you tell me where you read this? My dermatologist hasn't been very helpful to me, so I'm trying to do more research about tinea on my own. Wish I could afford to see an ND.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:37 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Ugggghhhh I think I have Candida. I'm going to talk to my doctor about it but can't get an appointment for a few weeks. I took an online questionnaire and scored in the higher range...blech.
Already I'm intimidated just by looking at the "foods allowed" and "not allowed" lists. How does the Candida get confirmed by a doctor? I'm half contemplating just trying this on my own just to see if I can get relief from all my terrible tummy problems, but the thought of giving up beer and chocolate if I don't have to are pretty daunting. It sounds pathetic I know.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:47 am 
Baking In The Flavor

the beer thing isn't actually that horrible. I cried when I realized I couldn't have beer for a while, but I became really good friends with whiskey. The food thing sucks too. The first 2 weeks my emotions were all over the place and I wasn't happy about anything. It gets better though, promise

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:47 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

jordanpattern wrote:
BunniesRevenge, I'm really sorry that you're having a hard time getting relief. I think that part of it might be that unless you are immune compromised, you simply cannot have a "systemic" yeast infection. This is a good summary of the systemic candida hypothesis and the criticisms against it: http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRel ... ndida.html

In other words, a legitimate medical doctor will be unable to confirm that you have a systemic yeast infection. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor. The interwebz are filled with nonsense medical advice.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:38 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

mel b wrote:
Ugggghhhh I think I have Candida.

Blah! Beer and chocolate are definitely hard to give up. And the food lists are definitely daunting. I'm starting an ACD tomorrow, so I feel your pain.

My stomach issues are connected to my rosacea, so the results of my diet are more tangible - I can see how my face reacts to foods. Chocolate is a killer. So is beer. (also, bananas and either wheat or gluten, sugar, and possibly red wine.) When I tried the ACD diet* last year for a month, it worked wonders for both my stomach and skin. No more upset, loud gurgling tummy noises, and no more gross pustules popping up on my cheeks.

While the "do not eat" list is frightening, try to focus on what you can eat. It's a creativity challenge! And it gets easier after a little while.

*slightly modified: I allowed soy, a teensy bit of wheat in the occasional soy sauce, a few glasses of wine, non-glutinous grains, berries, nuts

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:44 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Yeah, actually worse than not having chocolate would be not having bananas or other fruit. I barely eat processed foods and no gluten is not bad, but bananas and I are pretty tight. I'm going to attempt a "phasing out" month so I don't go beserk giving it all up in one go.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:08 am 
Dildo Queen

i'm going to the doctor on tuesday. i suspect i have candida ecause since i started taking the pill last june, i've had recurring yeast infections, and in the past 6 months or so it's become so bad that i am like...2 or 3 days without one, until it comes back. i know i've waited too long to see a doctor but i guess i just kept waiting to see if it would go away or if i could manage it. i haven't been careful enough with my diet, though - i eat a lot of carbs and drink alcohol. also since around that time, my immune system has been shot to hell. i'm blaming everything on BC pill, though i stopped taking it in january and i still have been getting yeast infections. i read somewhere that hormonal birth control can cause candida. i've also experienced a lot more anxiety in the past year (since june) but all of this coincides with my having a boyfriend for the first time, and having sex for the first time. so i dont know if it's an STI that he's given me, or a new anxiety in my life because of him, or what.

i had a pap smear 2 months ago, and the resulsts said i had abnormal cells and i'm supposed to go back in october for more testing. but i can't wait that long. i am sick of having a constant forking yeast infection. i can't even have sex anymore. even when i don't seem to have an infection (no discharge or pain/itch), sex forking hurts a lot. this whole thing is so intensely frustrating. what is happening to my body :(

anyway i'm not 100% sure if i have it or not, but i cant really imagine what else it could be.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:07 am 
Cranky

There are plenty of other things it could be! Are you absolutely certain it's a yeast infection you have? As in, a doctor diagnosed it?

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:55 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

jordanpattern wrote:

I hope that doesn't sound mean or unsympathetic. I just read your post about your diet not working, and I hope that that article might help shed some light on why.

It's always good to repeat this information when this thread gets revived.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:20 am 
Dildo Queen

well i have all of the symptoms of a yeast infection, burning, itching, thick white discharge...though i've never had it diagnosed. i've successfully killed them with garlic after a few days but the problem is that they keep. coming. back. it's horrible. i know i've waited way too long to go to the doctor, so i am really looking forward to my appointment on tuesday.

as to that article vantine via jordanpattern shared, now i am paranoid that the doctor will diagnosis candida and i won't actually have it...???

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:29 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

semiautomatic wrote:
well i have all of the symptoms of a yeast infection, burning, itching, thick white discharge...though i've never had it diagnosed. i've successfully killed them with garlic after a few days but the problem is that they keep. coming. back. it's horrible. i know i've waited way too long to go to the doctor, so i am really looking forward to my appointment on tuesday.

as to that article vantine via jordanpattern shared, now i am paranoid that the doctor will diagnosis candida and i won't actually have it...???

I don't think an MD will diagnose candida, I think it's pretty well-known to be not a real thing. Chronic yeast infections are certainly a medical issue that you should talk to a doctor about, though it could also be BV.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:08 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

There seems to be some confusion - the yeast Candida albicans does indeed cause vaginal yeast infections, but no legitimate doctor will diagnose you with "systemic candida" or "candida overgrowth." When people on the Internet talk about candida, usually they are talking about some vague symptoms like lethargy, malaise, or fatigue that they attribute to systemic infection with Candida albicans, not simply yeast infections.

To diagnose a vaginal yeast infection with certainty, you doctor should do a wet prep, which is placing some vaginal fluid on a microscope slide and looking for yeast, trichomonas and bacterial vaginosis. Appropriate treatment for a yeast infection would be a topical antifungal (cream or suppository, like Monistat), or oral diflucan. Hopefully your appointment went well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:03 pm 
Dildo Queen

thanks everyone! so yeah, she took a swab and sent it to the lab - came back as yeast. she prescribed me the equivalent of over-the-counter canesten stuff, they told me this at the pharmacy. i refused to take it because i've taken it before 3 times and yes it kills the infection, but they always come back within a week. it's a waste of money because it's not treating the underlying problem. i believe the BC i was on triggered it. i bought myself probiotics today and i've been reading quite a lot about candida yeast and i have significantly altered my diet, so i will see how i am doing in a month or so! no drinking...no sugar... ;__;

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next