| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Candida Support thread
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:32 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I dont know how many of you candida sufferers are women but do you notice that problems arise with candida at certain times of your cycle? I've struggled with candida for years; but lately I seem to be *mostly* ok besides a week or so out of the month where I get really uncomfortable and freaked out. I usually just keep coconut oil in my bathroom and ehem stick it up there a few times a day.

I've done the diet, I've done the herbs, I've done no drinking, no bread, no soy, no nightshades... I'm just so done right now trying. I need to live. Sigh.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:56 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

jordanpattern wrote:
I think that part of it might be that unless you are immune compromised, you simply cannot have a "systemic" yeast infection. This is a good summary of the systemic candida hypothesis and the criticisms against it: http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRel ... ndida.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:51 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I'm also struggling with Candida and have been for years but it isn't caused by my vegan diet - it was caused but antibiotics for sinus infections, prescribed meds for headaches, severe stress for extended amounts of time and drinking (a few times a wk). Put those all together and my body is suffering. I just started seeing a Naturopathic Doctor in North Andover MA Dr. Tracy who is vegan (amazing!!!). She has me on a middle of the road ACD so I am allowed more things than on a normal diet such as Kombucha, raw apple cider vinegar, most fruits in moderation and beans. It's still early on but what I can tell you is that the daily high quality probiotics are a must and she said I would be on them for the rest of my life most likely.

She also said during my period when I tend to get yeast infections, to take a higher dose probiotics, such as 50 billion.

I think we need to tweak the diet and supplements as I'm not feeling as better as i had hoped at this point but I've been pretty stressed lately and stress and candida feed off each other. It's great to know there are others out there for support when I feeling sorry for myself!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:21 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

jordanpattern wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:
I think that part of it might be that unless you are immune compromised, you simply cannot have a "systemic" yeast infection. This is a good summary of the systemic candida hypothesis and the criticisms against it: http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRel ... ndida.html

Even Andrew Weil says that it's impossible.

Quote:
There is little hard evidence for these ideas. Diagnoses of systemic candidiasis usually have no scientific basis, and most of the recommended treatments for it waste time and money. Anyone with yeast growing in the blood or vital organs would be critically ill in an intensive care unit. Despite this medical reality, systemic candidiasis remains a popular diagnosis in some segments of the alternative medicine community. My belief is that its persistence is an example of our fears of foreign invaders; it satisfies a need to blame our maladies on an external cause.

If your gut is unhappy after a course of antibiotics, it will not take a lifetime of probiotics to restore your gut to normal.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:46 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Hey everyone! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read the links that Vantine and Jordan have posted. Initially, I felt that like it was harmless for people to talk about a disease they thought they had. But, I think it's getting to a point where this thread is just enabling people who are convinced they have a systemic yeast infection that requires a severe diet.

I am going to lock this thread now because I don't want anyone else to come here and get support for eating an extreme diet that is totally unnecessary.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3