| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dental care thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My last dentist appointment was this past August; prior to that, I hadn't gone to the dentist in about two years. I had six cavities and some major cleaning that needed to be done. I chalk it up to the fact that while I was brushing with an electric toothbrush, I was too lazy to regularly replace the toothbrush heads so they became super soft and basically useless--I might as well have been brushing my teeth with an old sponge.

I still need to get my wisdom teeth removed and I feel like I have a cavity in between my molars. I'm never going to wait more than six months before visiting a dentist though. The amount of work that they had to do because of my not going to the dentist for two years was $2,500. I'm still in the process of paying that debt off my credit card. I would have much rather just paid the few hundred dollars to get my teeth cleaned and the occasional cavity filled than wait and do everything at once. Lesson learned.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:00 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

torque wrote:
PS: made my cleaning appointment today! Have you guys ever had the baking soda jet to clean your teeth? I never saw it in north america but it kicks the shiitake out of the scrubby rotating brush thing and then the scrape-teeth-with-metal routine. it takes about ten minutes and your teeth are clean as a whistle. even better, no bleeding.

I've had this done twice. It is pretty awesome if the person is experienced using this technique. The first time I had it done, the person wasn't very familliar with it (I found this out after the fact). The inside of my upper and lower lips felt like they had been sandblasted - absolutely no texture - smooth as glass. They were also numb for a few days!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:05 pm 

Quarantined wrote:
Apparently I grind my teeth hardcore and I'm supposed to get a guard to wear at night but I haven't done it yet. I guess my teeth will be ground away to nothing by age 50.

If you have the coverage or cash invest in one of these. I'm a heavy bruxer, and I now have a crack in one of my molars that has a large filling. Depending on how far the crack goes (travelled to the root) my only permanent option is to have an implant and crown.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:59 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Magpie-Grin wrote:
Quarantined wrote:
Apparently I grind my teeth hardcore and I'm supposed to get a guard to wear at night but I haven't done it yet. I guess my teeth will be ground away to nothing by age 50.

If you have the coverage or cash invest in one of these. I'm a heavy bruxer, and I now have a crack in one of my molars that has a large filling. Depending on how far the crack goes (travelled to the root) my only permanent option is to have an implant and crown.

I have a dental appointment for a cleaning and check up tomorrow morning at 8:00 a.m.

I have one of those mouth guard things. It cost me between $400-$500 for two visits, including the cost of the mouth guard (to have the mold to make the mouth guard cast, then return visit a week later to have the mouth guard fitted and adjusted). I was completely used to sleeping with it within four days it was a lesser deal than I thought as an appliance but it's kind of a lot of money for this little plasticky thing! I guess it's all the labor going into it that you're paying for.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:14 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Sra - Word of mouth for sure. Though I did once pick dentists because their yellow page ad had a pic of them and they looked friendly and the place was called "Gentle Family Dentistry" - it worked! They were great. Their tech sucked, but alas.

I tried a mouth guard that you boil and fit but it didn't work at all. I forget how much mine cost me but the new dentist said my CO-PAY for one is $150 - don't damned insurance companies realize the money they'll save in the long run?

I had most of my many cavities redone in 2004 with the white fillings. The dentist today said those don't last as long and my only two cavities (2 for me is amazing!) are decay that's spreading under said white fillings. Co-pay for replacement silver fillings? $23. Nice.

Livi's appointment tomorrow. :/

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:01 am 

seitanicverses wrote:
Magpie-Grin wrote:
Quarantined wrote:

I have a dental appointment for a cleaning and check up tomorrow morning at 8:00 a.m.

I have one of those mouth guard things. It cost me between $400-$500 for two visits, including the cost of the mouth guard (to have the mold to make the mouth guard cast, then return visit a week later to have the mouth guard fitted and adjusted). I was completely used to sleeping with it within four days it was a lesser deal than I thought as an appliance but it's kind of a lot of money for this little plasticky thing! I guess it's all the labor going into it that you're paying for.

I know, they are ridicuously expensive for what they are. No, there really isn't much labour in making them at all, the lab charges the dentist around $100 (I went to school as a dental lab tech), but dentists are rich for a reason.
I chewed holes in mine and don't have a dental plan, or the money to get a new one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:11 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

thanks guys, I'm going to make an appt. with a new dentist and see what they estimate in terms of cost for the mouth guard. My grinding is starting to bother me and I know it's worth it in the long haul.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:49 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Magpie-Grin wrote:
The first time I had it done, the person wasn't very familliar with it (I found this out after the fact). The inside of my upper and lower lips felt like they had been sandblasted - absolutely no texture - smooth as glass. They were also numb for a few days!

HOLY forking shiitake! I have to make sure to keep this dentist i have then, she's apparently worth every penny!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:32 pm 
Santa is a WELFARIST!

I don't have insurance...wahhhh! I haven't been in...6 or 7 years.

I need my wisdom teeth removed! They've push my front ones outward, so I probably need braces as well. Don't know if anyone here has ever had all four of theirs removed without help from insurance, but it is very very very mind-blowingly expensive.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:04 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

It seems almost all my friends are in the "Really? I've never had a cavity" camp, so this thread makes me feel much less alone in my dental disasters. I brush twice a day and floss every day and don't eat very many sweets, and yet every time I go to the dentist, there is something wrong (to the point where I'm glad if it's just a cavity), and I've had a couple horrible procedures.

I always feel like such a failure, even though my dentists (plural!) tell me it's a clear case of genetically bad teeth, not my hygiene. I think it's hardest because for the most part, my body and I are BFFs, and I can tell when something's wrong with it... except for my teeth. They always feels normal, so it's like a betrayal when I get to the dentist and find out I'm on the verge of some oral disaster.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:09 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

vegetalion wrote:
It seems almost all my friends are in the "Really? I've never had a cavity" camp, so this thread makes me feel much less alone in my dental disasters. I brush twice a day and floss every day and don't eat very many sweets, and yet every time I go to the dentist, there is something wrong (to the point where I'm glad if it's just a cavity), and I've had a couple horrible procedures.

I always feel like such a failure, even though my dentists (plural!) tell me it's a clear case of genetically bad teeth, not my hygiene. I think it's hardest because for the most part, my body and I are BFFs, and I can tell when something's wrong with it... except for my teeth. They always feels normal, so it's like a betrayal when I get to the dentist and find out I'm on the verge of some oral disaster.

I'm in the same boat. I have had so many fillings and I feel ashamed, even though I take really good care of my teeth. My parents have both had a lot of dental work done, so it must be a genetic lack of enamel or something. Now I just shake an imaginary fist in frustration over all those times I was scolded as a child for returning from the dentist with a bad report.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:25 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

amandabear wrote:
There is so much shiitake wrong with my mouth, I don't even know where to start. I went to a dentist last year just to get an idea of how bad it was - I literally started crying in the chair when she broke it down for me. I haven't had insurance for the last 8 or 9 years so I can't afford to get any of it fixed, though. Which is super awesome.

I have excellent dental hygiene, but my tooth enamel is really weak so it sort of doesn't matter what I do. I've always had a ton of cavities and other problems. Yay genetics!

Same for me, except that I *do* have insurance, and still can't afford to get anything fixed. The most serious thing I need addressed is cavities- some replacement of old fillings and some new ones- and the estimate for one quarter of my mouth was $900. Not happening, especially since every part on my car broke this fall, and I just moved.

Also I really hoped that if I were ever responsible enough to save up $3,600, it would be for a trip to Italy, not dental work. Thanks insurance!

Last edited by Amy on Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:32 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Muffin-Tuffin wrote:
Don't know if anyone here has ever had all four of theirs removed without help from insurance, but it is very very very mind-blowingly expensive.

i did- well, all three anyway. number 4 never appeared.
should you ever get down here, stay with me and get them out- what was supposed to cost me betweeen 5 and 7 thousand PLUS hospital stay in the US cost me a grand total of $300US. No hospital stay, no general anesthesia. Local anesthesia took a bit of balls to get done but it was quick, easy, and what a forking relief to have them all out (#3 was rotting in my head, as well as impacted practically inside outside upside down).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:10 pm 
Santa is a WELFARIST!

^Great, I have to go to Brazil to get affordable dental care......Good Job America.

So, only the local didn't kill you?!?! That sounds amazing. Plus Brazil is probably really really gorgeous.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:31 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Amy wrote:
amandabear wrote:
There is so much shiitake wrong with my mouth, I don't even know where to start. I went to a dentist last year just to get an idea of how bad it was - I literally started crying in the chair when she broke it down for me. I haven't had insurance for the last 8 or 9 years so I can't afford to get any of it fixed, though. Which is super awesome.

Same for me, except that I *do* have insurance, and still can't afford to get anything fixed. The most serious thing I need addressed is cavities- some replacement of old fillings and some new ones- and the estimate for one quarter of my mouth was $900. Not happening, especially since every part on my car broke this fall, and I just moved.

Yeah... when the dentist broke down everything I needed, she estimated that it would be at least $7,000. SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS. That is almost a third of what I make in a year, so... obviously everything that was wrong then is still wrong now.

Apparently we all need to go to Brazil. Way to be a giant failure, USA.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:38 pm 
Santa is a WELFARIST!

^
Hooray!

We can all recover at Torque's house which hopefully looks something like this:

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:16 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Toothpaste recommendation: Sensodyne Pronamel. I can't vouch for the vegan-ness of it, but I consider it a medical necessity. My hygienist recommended it many moons ago when I was last in the chair of pain. It does some nifty scientific things which strengthen your teeth and gums and helps a lot with sensitivity. When I run out, my mouth starts hurting.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:53 pm 

No new Livi cavities! (Based on the explorer, she wouldn't let me leave the room so they could x-ray her)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:34 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

dakini wrote:
Toothpaste recommendation: Sensodyne Pronamel. I can't vouch for the vegan-ness of it, but I consider it a medical necessity. My hygienist recommended it many moons ago when I was last in the chair of pain. It does some nifty scientific things which strengthen your teeth and gums and helps a lot with sensitivity. When I run out, my mouth starts hurting.

Ooh, thanks for the rec. I use Act Restoring Mouthwash because it's supposed to have magic science going for it as well.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:35 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Thanks for the recommendation, dakini. I'm going to have to look into that.

Count me in as part of the "excellent oral hygiene but terrible teeth" camp. I brush, I floss, I even tongue scrape, but I have tonnes of cavities. I always go into the dentist hopeful that my awesome oral hygiene habits will have paid off, but that's never the case. I have my dad's teeth; he has like no enamel and his teeth are just totally soft and full of cavities. Sucks.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:11 am 

paprikapapaya wrote:
Thanks for the recommendation, dakini. I'm going to have to look into that.

Count me in as part of the "excellent oral hygiene but terrible teeth" camp. I brush, I floss, I even tongue scrape, but I have tonnes of cavities. I always go into the dentist hopeful that my awesome oral hygiene habits will have paid off, but that's never the case. I have my dad's teeth; he has like no enamel and his teeth are just totally soft and full of cavities. Sucks.

i'm the same way PP. i only had 2 cavities last time and i was super excited but then the dentist informed me i'm close to needing root canals in both of them - UGH.

also, livi is getting x-rays today and i'm so scared she has cavities they didn't see last time (she wouldn't let them x-ray)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:24 am 
Level 7 Vegan

The last time I went to the dentist, I didn't have any cavities! This was the first time I was cavity-free in more years than I can remember.

Which is good, because I just paid $1000 for a crown.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:00 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I am terrified of going to the dentist...so much so that I had insurance for years and never went (I just used it for my kids). Not only that, I'm terrified of what might be wrong since I haven't been to the dentist in ages, and (worse yet) paying to fix whatever they find. I do know that I have really bad gums and I suspect that there might be a small cavity or two in my molars, but I hope that's the worst of my problems. I'm going to bite the bullet and get all of this taken care of as soon as I have dental insurance again.

*How fitting. Post #666 on a dental-related thread.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:46 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I've never had anything seriously wrong with my teeth, but around 14 or 15 I started getting cavities. I think I have 4 or 5 total, but it was weird because I'd never, ever had one before, even though my dental hygiene wasn't exactly excellent as a kid. My teeth are stained and one has a chip, though.
Actually my biggest dental woe is kind of silly: there's a super ticklish/uncomfortable spot in my mouth directly under my septum that makes me feel like I need to sneeze, and when I get a cleaning done the dentist invariably aims the water-jet thingy (science!) at it and not being able to sneeze makes my eyes run. So now my dentist thinks I'm a huge baby who cries when you poke her teeth with a sharp metal thing, but actually I'm a huge baby who's absurdly ticklish.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:12 pm 
Ninja Master

I also have really crepe teeth even though I brush twice a day and look after my teeth! I had 4 extractions a couple of months ago and a tonne of fillings. I have to have bridges where the teeth were that were extracted. I hadn't been for years so it was really bad. They had to sedate me for the extractions because I was so nervous. I'm glad they did though, he did all the fillings at the same time and I only remember a bit of one filling and have a hazy memory of an extraction.

Luckily for me, my dad is a dental technician so although he can't do the work, he has good relationships with the dentists he works for so I get a discount. It's still gonna cost a shittonne though and I don't know exactly how much yet either.

My dad took some impressions of my teeth the other day and he said that my teeth don't close properly (I could have told him that) and he thinks I'm grinding my front teeth away because of this. He thinks I need loads more work to fix the problems. Which are basically that my top jaw is smaller than the bottom (when it should be the other way round) and my mouth is overcrowded. I think there are other issues too but I don't really understand it. Dad said he will talk to his client who is apparently a great (expensive!!) dentist - I'm dreading hearing what he says needs doing.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com

Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next