| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My hair is blah
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:07 pm 
Tofu Pup

I love swimming in the pool and for the past few weeks I have been doing that almost every day. I feel awesome, but my hair doesn't. :/ Anyway, somwhere I have read about that clarifying shampoo and I found out it is because of my swimming sessions XD
I had no idea.
I don't want to stop swimming, I love that, but I want my hair back as it was, so is clarifyng shampoo enough? Can I use it and continue swimming? Do you use it? how often?

Sorry for so many questions, but I need to know that

Post subject: Re: My hair is blah
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:24 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Look for shampoos made specifically for swimmers that neutralize chlorine. Aubrey Organics has a natural one that I've seen at Whole Foods. TriSwim and Malibu C are also both vegan and not animal tested. I'm not sure about Ultra Swim, though.

I use the Aubrey one. I only use it after swimming. So far so good!

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:05 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

some kind of leave-n conditioner could help create a barrier while you swim. i sometimes coat my hair in leave in conditioner or a mask while I ride my bike because the wind can really whip it around and cause split ends.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:16 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Do you wet your hair (with regular non-chlorinated water) before you get in the pool? I had a hairdresser who was also a swimmer and she said that this can help because your hair is already saturated with the normal water so the chlorine can't get into it as much. Maybe something to try if you haven't yet.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:53 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Yes, wet your hair before you get into the pool, that helps. Also, Paul Mitchell (please tell me its still vegan) has a clarifying shampoo that works really well. If I'm in the pool every day, I probably use it every other day and really get aggressive with conditioning.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:48 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Could you wear a swim cap? I guess it wouldn't fix the problem now, but once you get your hair happy again, it could help keep it that way.

ETA: I vote for one with a chin strap! I think they are super cute. I also have no idea how dry the caps actually keep hair, but I'm sure they must help, right?

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:33 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Swim caps don't actually keep your hair dry. They just help keep you from choking on your hair when you swim!

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:27 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

wetting your hair before the pool, rinsing your hair out once done with swimming., deep condition it once a week and maybe a acv rinse should help! i swam a lot as a kid...rinsing before jumping in the pool really helped!

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:11 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

A vitamin C rinse can be good. After you swim, you rinse out the pool water, spray on a Vit C solution (I use 1/2 tsp ascorbic acid crystals per 8 oz spray bottle), then rinse out. It really gets the chlorine smell out (more than regular, non-swimmer shampoo), so I figure that must be pretty good for your hair. I use this for my kid, and she only washes her hair once a week, but swims much more than that, so we just use the Vit C rinse most times she swims with no shampoo or conditioner. If it's a wash hair day, we just wash/condition as usual after the Vit C rinse.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:26 pm 
Tofu Pup

Yes, I wet my hair and I would like to avoid those hats, I don't like them, I have used them but only for a while. I was hoping to find some clarifying shampoo and I have found this site, best clarifying shampoo. Now that you mentioned so many shampoos, thank you. What do you think which is better, Aubrey or Paul Mitchell, the ones you mentioned?

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:58 pm 
Tofu Pup

Clarifying shampoo is fine to use on your hair every other day....I use Bumble&Bumble's seaweed shampoo and it does wonders! It isn't too harsh (gentle cleansing shampoo) but it does a great job getting build up and sweat out of my hair. I use the same conditioner or davines conditioner but just on my ends. If you feel like your hair is limp or brittle from the chlorine, I would also suggest maybe add some coconut oil to the ends for a mask and then rinsing out. My hair gets really bad from build up and just overall oil do to sweating everyday...I try not to wash my hair every day so the shampoo really does a nice job and doesn't dry out my hair.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:36 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I've heard someone using shea butter or mango butter, coating the hair before they went into the water to lock in the moisture and keep the chlorine out, then putting a cap on. If you hate the cap you can skip it, but it will help a little bit. The butter washes out afterwards, you can probably still use a swimmers shampoo or something like that afterwards.