| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: nightmares
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:49 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Who gets them? I was a nervous-as-hell kid and had them right up until puberty, then a period of relief until I was about 26, but now at 31 they are the worst they've ever been. I've definitely noticed a connection with PMS, but fitful, cold-sweating, vivid nightmares sneak up on me all the time. I've definitely talked to my doctor and there are a number of things it could be, but he also said that some people seem to be almost wired to having night terrors.

Tell me I'm not alone, because it is really awful. They range from unbelievably gruesome to vividly terrifying to heartbreaking. The memories follow me into my days so intensely that I sometimes feel like I suffer PTSD symptoms from them.

Post subject: Re: nightmares
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:32 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I used to have them pretty routinely and still do on occasion, but not like I used to. I wish I could explain why it's changed. It doesn't seem to be related to anything that's going on in my life, other than just getting older I suppose? But it's strange, on the rare occasion I do have a nightmare these days, it is still the same kind of nightmare I had as a teenager (when my nightmares were the worst). Some things never change I guess.

I still suffer from flashbacks to nightmares that occurred many years ago... dreams might not be "real" experiences but the emotions are very real. I actually haven't even told my therapist about my nightmares because I don't want to force myself to relive the memories by talking about them. Thankfully it's not as big a problem as it once was. I hope you also find relief someday.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:12 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i am amazed i'm not having them. as i've gotten older (and moved away from my family, more importantly) they have left.
but i do remember nightmares that haunted my day (mainly in college and when my daughters were young). some terrifying, but many that were so sad, i would wake up crying and be in tears all day on the edge of something.... you're right corduroy the emotions are real no matter how you stir them up.
hang in there kid. with this big move and all maybe when it's all done you will have fewer.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:39 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

nightmares can be caused by too much melatonin which can be common in children which may explain what you experienced when you were younger and why it stopped as your brain chemistry changed during puberty.

if you're not taking supplemental melatonin or a prescription drug like paxil, it may be something in your diet that is high in tryptophan or possibly a lack of carbohydrates or possibly a vitamin b deficiency.

i'm just some random dude on the internet... but if i was in your shoes, i'd try a high-carb snack before bed and add a vitamin b complex to breakfast for a few weeks... and if that doesn't help maybe try supplementing with GABA for a few weeks... and if that doesn't work i'd get my thyroid checked.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:15 am 
Saggy Butt

i used to have horrid nightmares and sleep paralysis often when i was younger, but it's tapered off a bit. now, i've noticed a pattern where i'll have really bad nightmares of being shot or attacked while going about my daily business after seeing movies or tv with tonnes of violence, or after seeing people in real life being aggressive toward each other. they scare me because they feel so real that i'll wake up checking myself for wounds.

on a lighter note, i've been taking a web dev/programming class and i think it's making my dreams really regimented and organized - it's kinda bizarre.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:39 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I have nightmares frequently but they are based on things that actually happened so it is probably more of a ptsd type thing. Unfortunately my meds make them very vivid. They eased off a bit when I finished up on one of my medications but when I relapsed they started back up again.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:13 pm 
Chip Strong

You are not alone, vijita.

I was a sleepwalker as a child, had night terrors, and nightmares were a regular thing. Sleep was difficult for me, for a variety of reasons, all the way through my teens and my mom even looked into a sleep clinic for me but I refused to go. I sleep well now (no insomnia) but I still have way more nightmares than the average person and like you, they can be so vivid that they effect me emotionally the next day. I hate them. I have no practical advice, but I do understand. Hugs!

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:23 pm 
Saggy Butt

i had horrible nightmares as a kid and through my teens. i still have lots of nightmares now. i'm lucky that my new pattern for nightmares is that i will be upset for a few minutes after waking up, then forget what the dream was and only remember much later in the day when it doesn't have the same emotional valence.

(the last few weeks though i've just been dreaming about my day in very true-to-life fashion, which is so exhausting in a way i can't really describe. it feels very much like i do my day, sleep, and do it all again.)

i'm so sorry you are dealing with this vijita. it's so frustrating and unnerving and i've never found people to be very sympathetic. (i hope your friends and family are more understanding.)

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:48 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I have nightmares or at least unpleasant vivid dreams every night pretty much. I find it can be really exhausting so I get sleeping pills from the doctor which I use every so often to get some proper rest. I think a lot of mine are related to real life stuff that's bothering me, like hiding stuff from people or feeling trapped.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:30 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I have nightmares occassionally and when they occur it is a whole night of nightmares. They get so bad I am terrified of falling back asleep. Nightmare happens, I wake up, unable to determine what is real and what isn't. After a while I calm down, grasp reality and try my best to stay awake. Never works. The next day is usually a day of sadness and increased suicidal thoughts. They have become rare now so I'm not too worried anymore.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:47 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I don't get them very often anymore, but I've always had nightmares every once in a while. Sometimes it's been really bad for a while, but I have no idea what sets off a bad period, I am just enjoying it not being too often right now!

I get nightmares that are so horrible and feel so real that they mess with my head and make me wake up in panic. It's happened a few times while my boyfriend was on tour, and I called him in panic and cried on the phone and he made me turn on the light and get some water and sit for a while before I tried to fall back to sleep. I was SO grateful that he actually picked up (usually he won't hear his phone at 3 in the morning), because I was shaking and almost frozen with terror.

The worst part for me is, that if I wake up and fall asleep, the nightmare will continue. Sometimes it even continues before I fall all the way back to sleep, and it will mess with my head so bad because my regular thoughts and the nightmare gets all intertwined and forks with my sense of reality and safety.

My worst nightmares are always the same 4 or 5 themes; someone I'm close to or know act completely different than they usually do, and when I try to ask them why they are acting that way they tell me that everything I thought I knew was just my imagination, and that things have never been that way. Stuff like friends having affairs with my boyfriends have been happening quite a lot (which is strange, because I am never worried about my boyfriend cheating or my friends wanting to hook up with my boyfriend in real life!), and also being caught in a labyrinth like hotel being scared and not really knowing what I'm scared of have been regular nightmares. I've definitely had some sexual abuse nightmares too. And nightmares where my childhood home is burning and my siblings are caught inside and I can't get to them.

I hate nightmares. I know a lot of people who never get them or who don't have bad bad nightmares. Mine usually leaves me feeling off for days.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:47 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

zero33 wrote:
nightmares can be caused by too much melatonin...
if you're not taking supplemental melatonin or a prescription drug like paxil, it may be something in your diet that is high in tryptophan or possibly a lack of carbohydrates or possibly a vitamin b deficiency.

I was just about to post some anecdotal stuff that happened to me, and interestingly it fits right in with this.

I used to try to take melatonin to help with sleep, as it is supposed to do. Instead I started getting really bad nightmares and thus got worse sleep.

I also have noticed that bananas eaten late at night seem to have a correlation with nightmares (and I'm pretty sure bananas have tryptohan).

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:21 pm 

smoothie wrote:
The worst part for me is, that if I wake up and fall asleep, the nightmare will continue. Sometimes it even continues before I fall all the way back to sleep, and it will mess with my head so bad because my regular thoughts and the nightmare gets all intertwined and forks with my sense of reality and safety.

Yes, this. It's really terrible. I am still talking myself down from a nightmare the other night that my mind keeps tricking me into thinking was real. It's so disturbing.

Interesting about bananas. When I was really sick with an eating disorder, I ate a banana every single night (for a lot of reasons). I had terrible nightmares at that time too, but I chalked that more up to malnutrition, an unsettled mind, and meds. Now I'm healthy, but my nightmares would indicate that I have some deeply buried psychosis if one were to analyze patterns in that way!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:10 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I have this too. One of the things that can happen with PTSD (especially complex PTSD, which I have) is that you may end up experiencing things as traumatic when they wouldn't be traumatic if you didn't already have PTSD. So, for me, even though having nightmares wouldn't be traumatic to most people (it might be upsetting but wouldn't cause PTSD symptoms), for me it can be a serious problem and I can't just poo-poo it by saying "oh it's only a dream" because that doesn't make the symptoms go away. I've learned that I just have to to treat those dreams as I would any other PTSD trigger that happened in "real life", and take care of myself accordingly. I haven't found anything that consistently prevents it from happening, though it is sometimes helpful if I sit down before I go to sleep and write something down along the lines of "I am going to sleep. I will sleep calmly and peacefully, and wake up feeling refreshed and happy."

The other thing I've had to do is to really figure out what I need to sleep most comfortably, and that's often different for me personally than what it's "supposed to" be...so, for instance, even though you're "not supposed to" eat close to bedtime, I know that if I'm hungry in the middle of the night, it's going to fork with my sleep and I'll probably have nightmares, so I usually eat a snack close to bedtime and it helps.

The one thing I have found helpful in dealing with the effects after it happens is to NOT try to analyze the dream. I found that I was making myself way more upset and agitated by trying to figure out what the dreams meant and why I was having them and what my brain was trying to tell me. I finally just said, "you know, maybe these dreams don't mean anything and my brain is just having a shiitake fit for no particular reason" and that actually helped a lot, because I wasn't continuing to re-live the dream the next day and I wasn't giving it power by making into a meaningful thing. Sometimes I'll even write myself a reminder in my note to myself before I go to bed, something like "Hey brain, if you have something to tell me, tell me nicely. If you tell me by giving me terrible nightmares, I am going to ignore it", and that helps too.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:31 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

i have them and in fact had a really bad dream last night. i have woken up yelling in my sleep. i always feel powerless in my dreams, it is not fun.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:48 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

When I have really bad anxiety, it seeps over into my dreams and I have lots of nightmares. Also when I was starting new medication (SSRIs) my dreams were suuuuuper awful.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:58 am 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Mars wrote:
zero33 wrote:
nightmares can be caused by too much melatonin...

I was just about to post some anecdotal stuff that happened to me, and interestingly it fits right in with this.

I used to try to take melatonin to help with sleep, as it is supposed to do. Instead I started getting really bad nightmares and thus got worse sleep.

I also have noticed that bananas eaten late at night seem to have a correlation with nightmares (and I'm pretty sure bananas have tryptohan).

So, apparently, melatonin in the amount they sell it in is WAY TOO MUCH. Seriously,something like 0.3mg or whatever is fine, and no one sells melatonin in doses that small. Its all at least 1mg tabs. I get my melatonin in liquid form so I can do a quarter dropper easy-peasy, and sublingual means it works super fast. So problems may be in the dosing.

Also, as for nightmares, my Grandma would get bad nightmares because of sleep apnea, so make sure you don't have that. You CAN have it and not snore. I need to get a sleep test, because I might not be breathing enough at night either. Anyway, it makes sense that if you aren't getting enough oxygen, you would have nightmares, too.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:24 pm 

paprikapapaya wrote:
When I have really bad anxiety, it seeps over into my dreams and I have lots of nightmares. Also when I was starting new medication (SSRIs) my dreams were suuuuuper awful.

Interesting. I just re-started cipralex and it seems to have given me a (hopefully lasting?!) reprieve from the nightmares. Gosh I hope so.