| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hip Hip Hooray
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:29 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

At the hospital today my doctor told me I needed a total hip replacement. While I am a bit nervous about the operation and the recovery (I will apparently need crutches for 4 to 6 weeks), I am SOO looking forward to not being in constant pain.

They are going to put in a ceramic uncemented hip (the kind where your own bones fuse round it). Does anyone have any experience of hip replacements? I need stories about how much better my day to day life is going to be when it's done!

Post subject: Re: Hip Hip Hooray
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:53 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I don't have any experience with hip replacements but best of luck to you!

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:39 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

jogirl wrote:
They are going to put in a ceramic uncemented hip (the kind where your own bones fuse round it

around the actual joint itself? or around the limb that holds onto it? (as in, will your hip just seize up over time?)

is it a 'better' option that lets you run or whatever? I had a pal that had a metal knee joint and he couldn't do much more than walk, and he had to get it replaced a couple of years ago.

I don't have any personal experience to help you with though, but good luck with it all :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:05 pm 

joshua wrote:
around the actual joint itself? or around the limb that holds onto it? (as in, will your hip just seize up over time?)

is it a 'better' option that lets you run or whatever?

Supposedly yes. They use ceramic ones more on younger people cos they last longer and are stronger. The doc says once it is done my leg should be more or less "normal" again (not that I'm worried about running - I'll be happy just to be able to walk properly again).

As for the bone fusing, on the NHS website it says this "Uncemented parts are made from permeable material that has many tiny holes. This allows the bone to grow into it, holding it in place.", so my hip won't just seize up. It should get stronger with time.

Thanks for the good wishes guys.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

All the best! I'll be interested to hear how this goes, since I'm pretty sure I'll probably need a hip replacement one day too. I had congenital hip dysplasia, and have occasional hip pain, the joints click and they're way less flexible than they should be. It's annoying but not that serious, although I've heard that this kind of thing can get progressively worse.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and impressive subsequent feats of strength!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:38 pm 
Semen Strong

The only advice I can give is from my experience after getting my ACL in my knee replaced - so not nearly as major an operation, but one that put me out of commission for a while as well.

First, find the PT place you're going to ahead of time and visit - you don't want to get there post surgery and find you hate it or that it is dirty.

Second, fill all your prescriptions ahead of time and set up your fridge space so you can get whatever you need easily and order movies and books ahead of time that you're going to enjoy while stuck home.

Third, try and go as light as you can on painkillers - a friend of mine warned me that she got addicted to hers and found herself getting really depressed as a result.

Sending you good wishes for a quick and complete recovery!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:06 pm 
Semen Strong

This was a really interesting article about recently recalled artificial hip made by a unit of Johnson & Johnson, designed to last 15 years or more, is failing worldwide at unusually high rates after just a few years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/17/busin ... ef=general

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:50 am 

Tofulish wrote:
This was a really interesting article about recently recalled artificial hip made by a unit of Johnson & Johnson, designed to last 15 years or more, is failing worldwide at unusually high rates after just a few years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/17/busin ... ef=general

I had read about this a little while ago. I did mention it to my doctor (because I am a little paranoid), but he assured me that they have stopped using them and my new hip is ceramic anyway, not metal. It did give me pause for thought though - the ppor people in that article whose lives (and pain) actually got worse when they had the op.