| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Super Dry Flaky scalp help
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:45 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

This is my second winter as a vegan, and last winter I didn't have an issue as I moved subtropical, but my scalp is horrible this winter. Dry, flaky, itchy. I currently only use conditioner to wash my hair, and have had great results until now...out of desperation I got Neutrogena's T-Gel shampoo but it doesn't seem to have helped. Any diet recommendations? I'm currently taking a multivit and a dha/efa supplement. Or any hair products that work for you? I'm trying to be as low maintenance as possible.

Post subject: Re: Super Dry Flaky scalp help
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:44 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Weather changes always screw up my scalp. We've been going from 14 degree days to 42 degree days and back over the last few weeks. The rest of my skin goes crazy, too.

I think finding the right shampoo/conditioner combo can help. For the past two years I've used the Nature's Gate hemp shampoo and jojoba conditioner. That has helped immensely. I don't really put any product on it except for special occasions. I recently got some chamomile shampoo because it smelled nice, and my scalp was mad at me for a couple of weeks but is better now. I think it's because the chamomile version was a little harsher than the hemp. I also don't wash my hair but a couple of times a week.

You could always try a natural tea-tree oil shampoo, along with making sure you are getting plenty of good fats and drinking lots of water. But I would be a little wary of super chemically shampoos. It seems like they only work as long as you keep using them, and then when you stop it's worse. I could be wrong, but I've never had a positive experience with those types of shampoos for dry scalp.

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:20 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I switched to Aveda scalp balancing shampoo recently, and I've had a lot less dandruff from the first time I used it. It's vegan and not tested on animals. The only downside is you have to buy it from an Aveda salon or online. It's expensive, too, I suppose, but a bottle of shampoo lasts me about 9 months, so I don't mind paying a lot for it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:58 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Yeah, Aveda is great for sensitive scalps too.

Harsh chemicals = more flakes, I think.

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:29 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

My ex-BF likes Lush's Soak and Float for his dry scalp issues. Smells like a campfire but works really well: http://www.lushusa.com/shop/products/ha ... -and-float

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:37 pm 
Saggy Butt

Put some apple cider vinegar on your scalp,leave it in on for a few minutes,wash and condition.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:39 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

If it's really bad and nothing helps, you might want to see a doctor, as dry flaky scalp can be the result of a fungus that grows on the scalp and produces the flakes. I get this from time to time, and have to use a prescription shampoo to clear it up.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:09 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I like to use a mix of 4 tablespoons of jojoba oil plus one drop of pure essential oil of lavender and three drops of tea tree oil, warmed. I apply this to my scalp and keep it on for ten minutes or so, then wash as usual.

I use Zerran's Reform shampoo and conditioner: both vegan and not tested on animals, and very gentle on the scalp and hair. My scalp has flaked a lot less since I began to use them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:52 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

mollyjade wrote:
I switched to Aveda scalp balancing shampoo recently, and I've had a lot less dandruff from the first time I used it. It's vegan and not tested on animals. The only downside is you have to buy it from an Aveda salon or online. It's expensive, too, I suppose, but a bottle of shampoo lasts me about 9 months, so I don't mind paying a lot for it.

UGH, I've been using this and my scalp is wrecked today. I think it's just because it's been really, really cold the last could of days, and I've been showering with hotter water. I'm going to try the Nature's Gate shampoo and conditioner as well, and kind of like switch them up--what do you think?
The Veganbetic wrote:
I like to use a mix of 4 tablespoons of jojoba oil plus one drop of pure essential oil of lavender and three drops of tea tree oil, warmed. I apply this to my scalp and keep it on for ten minutes or so, then wash as usual.

I use Zerran's Reform shampoo and conditioner: both vegan and not tested on animals, and very gentle on the scalp and hair. My scalp has flaked a lot less since I began to use them.

Is Zerran's expensive?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

my spouse had really dry flaky scalp and it turns out it was sodium lauryl sulfate causing it. we use Poofy Organics stuff and he's good-to-go. his scalp isn't red, dry, and flaky anymore!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:52 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Another vote for Soak & Float. It cleared my scalp right up. Coconut oil is also a good idea.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:03 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

waxwolf wrote:
Another vote for Soak & Float. It cleared my scalp right up. Coconut oil is also a good idea.

Do you have long hair? I wonder how that would work; I fear a tangled mess. I might check it out; going to Lush causes me anxiety though. I feel like the people working there constantly redirect me toward all kinds of purchases when I'd really just like some lip balm thankyouverymuch.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:30 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

i'm surprised no one has mentioned flax seed. eat 1T of ground flax a day and in 2 weeks your flakes will be gone.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:45 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

ndpittman wrote:
waxwolf wrote:

Do you have long hair? I wonder how that would work; I fear a tangled mess. I might check it out; going to Lush causes me anxiety though. I feel like the people working there constantly redirect me toward all kinds of purchases when I'd really just like some lip balm thankyouverymuch.

My hair's about shoulder-length and tangles really easily, but I condition the bejeezus out of it after I use the shampoo bar and I don't have any trouble.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:46 pm 
Married to the wolfman

My scalp gets bone dry in the winter. It has since I was a little kid, and all my dietary changes since then haven't seemed to change it at all. So I can't help on that front. (I'm going to try the flax seeds though! This is the time of year when I will try anything re: my scalp!)

But I have come up with a number of things to do to my scalp to make it a bit less dry. The two things that have worked best for me are doing no 'poo (baking soda and vinegar, basically) and occasionally doing a sort of avocado masque.

No 'poo is sort of a long term strategy, but you can do the avocado! You just get a really ripe avocado, smush it up, and rub it into your scalp. Leave it for 20 or 30 minutes. Then get a fine tooth comb and sort of comb around your scalp. This will help get up any loose flaky bits. Also, it feels awesome. Anyway, once you're done combing around, wash the avocado out and go about your business.

I've used Soak and Float and it works okay. And I actually like the smell, it reminds me of single malt whiskey.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!