It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: People with vaginas: please get pap smears
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:32 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

paprikapapaya wrote:
silverlining wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:
Yes, yearly, ferchrissakes. Take a deep breath and let the doctor do what they need to do. It's very important. I've been having them yearly since I was 16.

My health-care person recently told me that you only need them every other year. There are so many types of HPV flying around and many of those strains your body can manage using its own immune system and defenses. The logic being it is more traumatizing for your body to have a Dr meddle with something your body can handle, and two years isn't long enough for an HPV strain that requires medical intervention to get gnarly beyond treatment.

The logic seemed sound to me, but definitely went in the face of what I always believed was a required annual test. Just secondhand med advice, take it or leave it!

Thanks for the post lavawitch.

Sorry, quotes are messed up and can't fix on iPad.

They recommend yearly if there are risk factors present. I never thought about it much before this; I dealt with so many awful gynecologists who wouldn't even treat me for cysts or other things because I was obese. They just told me to go away and lose weight. So after a few years of that, I avoided going, like so many other people. I was able to go back under my dads insurance because of my pre-existing stuff so I've had one now.

Interesting! OHIP (Ontario's socialized healthcare plan) pays for one per year. If I had to pay for my tests, I'd likely bump it down to one per 2 years, but since I'm not paying for it I'd rather go annually and make sure I don't have something bad I don't know about.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:28 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

Wait a minute, finger up the butt?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:17 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:37 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Interesting, I didn't know in the US you only went every 2 years, I have always gone every year since I started going when I was 17. I am 31 now.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:55 pm 
Nailed to the V

paprikapapaya wrote:

Hilarious!

I've been going yearly for probably ten years now and have never had a finger up the butt? Have I been seeing lazy gynos?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:31 pm 
Saggy Butt

I've never been butt fingered either in like 4 years with 3 different doctors.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:56 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I have no idea what purpose it served but my doctor was out so I had my gyno visit with a lady I didn't know. I can't remember the term for her title but she's the person you'd have deliver your child outside of a hospital. Anyway, she surprised me with a finger up my bum at the end of my session! No warning! Did something inside my vagina prompt her to check out my booty? Did it just look to good to resist? The world may never know.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:51 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Adah wrote:
Wait a minute, finger up the butt?

Right? I feel so neglected....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:58 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

I never got a finger up the butt either! And I'm in the US, but I'm always told it's recommended to get a pap every year. I'm just going to assume that y'all have crazy gynos.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:45 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Yearly and as soon as you let another person, of any gender, near your cervix. I wish they had had gardisil when I was younger or else I wouldn't be having to go through so much stress right now.

Paps are so easy. LEEP is not. Worrying about dying is not. Stick a finger in my butt everyday so I don't have to think about the phrase "pre-cancer" ever again.

PS, I haven't had a finger up my butt routinely. I guess they're getting you vagina-owners ready for middle-age? Also, I want to confirm that yes, I am trying to scare everybody into the stirrups. GO TO THE DOCTOR. EVEN THE SCARY ONE WITH A BEARD.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:31 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

littlebear wrote:
Interesting, I didn't know in the US you only went every 2 years, I have always gone every year since I started going when I was 17. I am 31 now.

I did not know this either until recently. I was going every year until this year when I heard every other year is OK. The only exception is when your pap comes back abnormal.

I am a big baby when it comes to getting a pap, or any doctors really. I do it though and just think of getting it over with!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:04 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I had six pap smears between December 2008 and September 2009, and I have never been sexually active. Pap smears suck, yes, but cancer sucks more. Take a teddy bear with you if it will help, or someone to hold your hand. I've done both. Your gynie might think you're weird, but whatever helps.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:05 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I've probably had 20 pap smears, 3 colposcopies, and 1 LEEP in the past 10 years...starting at 16. I'm super used to them. I actually like the way the speculum feels now, it's comforting. Weird.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:16 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

You guys that have had cancerous cells, do you mind sharing how advanced it was when you were treated?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:12 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

<Personal posting to theppk about something I'm not even discussing with friends! Oh ppk, oh YOU.>

I have pap smears on the regular and it still took less than one year for my pap to go from normal to abnormal with Grade 3 pre-cancer (last step before full blown cancer.)
All the more reason to get them regularly ladies! It can happen fast!

I have biopsies on Jan 4th, thinking good thoughts.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:50 am 
Shopped till she dropped

I've been meaning to go to the gyno for...oh...five years. Gah! I haven't even been to a Planned Parenthood since then. Not smart, K. I maxed out my insurance this year, what with the forkin' papillary carcinoma recurrence, surgery and subsequent nerve damage drama. I suppose I could make an appointment now, since the new year is in less than a week. Then everything rolls over.

Mental note: Dental cleaning and vision test too. Someone remind me!

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:01 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Count me among the regular pap getters who have never had their butts fingered. I've had paps/physicals from 3 different doctors in the past 12 years, and no one has ever gone near my butt.

Why do they do that? Am I missing out? Lucky?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:14 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I suspect my doctor of just being a perv because I don't think he even stuck a whole finger up my butt. Just grazed the hole with a finger tip. Hm. I was too busy feeling violated to ask why the fork.

And that was the shifty student health center gyno, my regular guy would never. He's too busy being awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:35 am 
Saggy Butt

coeurdartichaut wrote:
<Personal posting to theppk about something I'm not even discussing with friends! Oh ppk, oh YOU.>

I have pap smears on the regular and it still took less than one year for my pap to go from normal to abnormal with Grade 3 pre-cancer (last step before full blown cancer.)

This is why I think it's such a bad idea to tell women they don't need a pap smear every year!

Good luck with your biopsy! Take some ibuprofen before because it hurts like a mother hubbard even if your doctor says it won't. I'll be thinking good thoughts!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:48 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Unable to have any sort of pelvic exam without having panic attacks so my gyno resorted to ultrasounds instead. Unfortunately, I don't think they're as accurate and I'm not sure how to resolve the issue. No matter how much I try to relax, I just can't let anyone touch me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:24 am 
WRETCHED

When I was younger, they said pap smears every year but now it is every 3 according to my gyn. Apparently the tests are better? I'm guessing. I still go every year to get a general checkup and yeah they have never put anything up my butt.

Also, if you experience pain, ask for the smallest speculum. They have smaller ones but most won't tell you that.

I had many pap smears before becoming sexually active, my first one when I was 16 didn't go very well but it wasn't done by an ob/gyn. I couldn't relax, the speculum was too big, etc. The ones afterwards were better. I always say I go to my 'safe space' when I have it done. Honestly, I'm not mentally there at all. It takes a lot of concentrated breathing and thinking of puppies and what not.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:00 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

lavawitch wrote:
You guys that have had cancerous cells, do you mind sharing how advanced it was when you were treated?

Well, despite all the biopsies and even the LEEP, no one ever told me I had pre-cancerous cells. Every single doctor just told me not to worry about it. They said there was a chance it COULD be or it might turn into full blown cancer and they were just going to remove it. I don't know if they didn't want to freak me out, or because it's super common so they weren't worried, or what. Actually, I think once the planned parenthood doctors gave me a number on a scale or something, but I just blocked it out.

6 months after the LEEP my pap came out normal, so I'm pretty happy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:27 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

graffitipassion wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

Well, despite all the biopsies and even the LEEP, no one ever told me I had pre-cancerous cells. Every single doctor just told me not to worry about it. They said there was a chance it COULD be or it might turn into full blown cancer and they were just going to remove it. I don't know if they didn't want to freak me out, or because it's super common so they weren't worried, or what. Actually, I think once the planned parenthood doctors gave me a number on a scale or something, but I just blocked it out.

6 months after the LEEP my pap came out normal, so I'm pretty happy.

Indeed, I was never straight up told how advanced my cells were. But, as I said in my own thread about this, they had to use two LEEP devices to get it all off and the guy who did the colposcopy said, "she literally has cells from here to here" to his assistant. Mine was also grade 3 right before cancer that appeared in about a year after having a child. I had only normal paps before that for the 6 years I had been getting them.

Wikipedia is really helpful with all of this, unlike doctors. Also, about.com. I learned that it has a 20% chance of becoming cancer after 5 years if left untouched. When removed by LEEP or cryrosurgery it has a very low chance of becoming cancer. No doctor told me this. They still haven't straight up told me which type of HPV I have. I am going to call for my medical records pretty soon.
coeurdartichaut wrote:

Feel better! If they tell you to cough when they're taking the biopsy it hurts less. *hugs* It's not that bad. I just had my second one. Much less painful than a bad cramp or stubbing your toe badly. Just go to your happy place. I have a few friends that also had the same thing as me and they're fine now! <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:00 am 
Saggy Butt

My doctor told me that they don't test for the individual strains anymore because it doesn't really matter or something. Who knows.

I don't know where I am on this scale. I had a biopsy a few months ago and they called and told me that the cells had progressed since my abnormal pap but not enough to consider doing a LEEP yet.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:46 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Nora wrote:
My doctor told me that they don't test for the individual strains anymore because it doesn't really matter or something. Who knows.

I was also told they don't test for strains. I've probably had HPV for 8 years and never have been tested for a strain. I was told I could ask for it...but it would be expensive.

Knowing what I know about HPV...I understand why they don't test.