| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: damaged toenail bed?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:26 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

has anyone had luck/know how to repair/fix/remedy a damaged toenail bed? my two 'big toes' have faulty nail beds from being stepped on/crushed and the nails do not grow, but new nails grow under neath sometimes. what to do?

Post subject: Re: damaged toenail bed?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:45 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I have no idea. I'm trying to let the one on my left foot grow out (something happened to it near the cuticle and it's all wonky now), but it's taking forever. It still seems to be growing, though. I haven't had the same issue I don't think.

Pictures would help, but they would make it really gross.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:00 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I also have weird toenails. I had a procedure done last year to cure my ingrown toenails on my big toes. They cut out the sides of your nails and then pour acid on that part of the nail bed so the sides of the nail don't grow back. My toenails are definitely not ingrown anymore so that's awesome, but my nail bed was super messed up and the rest of my big toenail doesn't look very good. I would go back to the podiatrist but it's not covered by my insurance and it's not painful, it just doesn't look that nice.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:09 pm 

:(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:47 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i had a really bad infection in my fingertip back in november, and once it healed, the fingernail had a horizontal depression straight across. (i'm so lucky it stayed intact) i read that it could take 4 months to grow out, and that's how long it took exactly. big toes might take longer, but if you need to have them removed in order for the new nails to have a place to fill in, i suppose that's how long you'd have to be careful. (and if that's what you have to do, at least it's becoming sandal weather.)

oh! also 12 years ago i did a really stupid thing with rubbing alcohol that resulted in all of the skin above one of my toenailbeds being eaten away down to the fat layer. for years and years, that nail barely grew, and i would occasionally just peel it when it got long enough to peel. (since it had really packed horizontal ridges and was really thick, so it was easy to just peel some away while leaving the rest.) i had almost forgotten about that.) i just took a look at it now, and it looks exactly like my other nails. the only sign of my stupidity is that the cuticle is obviously not like the other toes, and you can still see the scarring on the bed, but it seems like that nail might be growing normally again. maybe i'll test it out by wearing toenail polish for the first time in 10 years. :-) i'll let you know in a month whether it's growing at the same rate as the others.

well, there you go, time heals all wounds. (or at least most)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:05 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i had a badly damaged toenail that i hurt in a full day hike in october, it just got to the point now where it's not actually gross looking.

that same nail, some years ago i had a workplace accident and the toenail was smashed and the bone was broken. it also grew out just fine.
nails are funny. that stuff grew out, but i have a toenail that i hurt as a child, and to this day it grows in split. go figure.

thanks for describing the ingrown toenail thing, lobster. my daughter gets ingrown toenails, i think it's because she refuses to cut them, and i never knew what the treatment entails.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:51 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

well, i did the toenail polish test. turns out i was looking at the wrong toe. (oops!) the one i was looking at i would routinely stub it, but that one grew out maybe half as quickly as my undamaged toenails, but at least it's growing. my other one though, barely moved in the 2.5 months. the other undamaged toes grew out completely in that time (except for the big toes, naturally. they grew out at a normal rate though. 2/3 of the polish was left on those big 'uns.)

did you ever get yours looked at?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:10 pm 

my toenails are not growing - i just kinda have learned to like my toenails the way they are!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:15 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
I got a really bad hiking blister last month under one of my toenails. That toenail just sort of started flapping off until I yanked it. Now that toe is nail free. I sorts wish the rest would fall off, one less thing to trim.