| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tips for working standing up?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:10 pm 
Inflexitarian

I have started working as a vendor in a dairy-free bakery a few days ago. I like the job and it is only three days a week, but the hours are long (7 to 10 hours/day + about 1 hour of closing time with one 30-minute break). There is a lot of cleaning involved and I have no choice but to walk up and down a steep hill getting there and back home.

Result, my feet hurt! The muscles on the sides and tops of the feet seem to be injured. I am resting, taking Advil, applying warmth and elevating the feet, as advised by a nurse. But there is no amelioration and I start work again on Friday. I cannot very well take a sick leave while on trial.

Does anyone have tips for avoiding making the condition worse? I wear confortable, new sport shoes. I am going to buy a rubber mat for when I stand at the cash register. I can bathe my feet once I am home. I move around quite a lot at work, so I don't think standing unmoving is the problem. What do other people in this kind of job do?

I really hope it will heal, since I am no longer able to study or have a desk or intellectual job due to repeated tendinitis in the hands (I tried voice recognition without much success). I'm trying to stay optimistic, but if I can't rely on my hands OR feet to earn a living, I'm in trouble...

Post subject: Re: Tips for working standing up?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:50 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

If you have a ball (golf or tennis) place it under the arch of your foot, below the ball and roll, forward and back, and side to side. Its like a massage and helps loosen those muscles. If you can chill the ball first it helps even more.

You could pop into a physiotherapists office and by Metatarsal supports for in your shoes that might help too - it eases the pressure in the area. Feels funny until you get used to it. They may even fit them for you in the right spot.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:45 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Also, get compression socks if you're going to be on your feet all day! They really help your legs feel less sore at the end of the day. I love them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:41 pm 
Inflexitarian

Thanks for the tips!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:43 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I also work on my feet 10 hour shifts, hard surface, some days I'm stationary, some I walk quite a bit (on those days I get to sit more.) My new shop has really good floor mats at our benches - the old one had mats that were a joke. They help a lot. I've been trying to find the right shoe for years. At the thrift store I found a pair of Danskin shoes that are like the clogs in terms of structure, but they're black canvas lace up. I've just started with those, so we'll see.

When my feet are really sore, I do the golf ball thing, and it feels amazing. I also try to stretch my feet when they are sore. I've never tried compression socks, but I ought to. If I remember right SD, you're a nurse, yeah? So I trust you to know from sore feet.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:22 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Olives wrote:
I also work on my feet 10 hour shifts, hard surface, some days I'm stationary, some I walk quite a bit (on those days I get to sit more.) My new shop has really good floor mats at our benches - the old one had mats that were a joke. They help a lot. I've been trying to find the right shoe for years. At the thrift store I found a pair of Danskin shoes that are like the clogs in terms of structure, but they're black canvas lace up. I've just started with those, so we'll see.

When my feet are really sore, I do the golf ball thing, and it feels amazing. I also try to stretch my feet when they are sore. I've never tried compression socks, but I ought to. If I remember right SD, you're a nurse, yeah? So I trust you to know from sore feet.

Yep, compression socks and Danskos. If I had started the socks years ago, I wouldn't have so many pretty spider veins now...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:35 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Dansko! That's the name. Derp. So far they feel pretty good, except the sole is thick and the heel is a little narrow, which has caused me to roll my ankle a couple of times.

I'll look into the compression socks, though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:37 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I was a cashier once and found that I got somewhat used to it after a while. It was never pleasant, but the first few weeks were the hardest. Hopefully some of this will get better over the coming days and weeks for you too.

I don't know what things are like in your area in terms of disability/medical accommodations. I know that one modification that people sometimes get for standing jobs is a tall stool that they can sort of sit/stand on when ringing people up.

One thing that I would do in that job was walk around tidying up whenever I didn't have a customer, since standing still is more painful for me. When I stand still I also sometimes prop up one of my legs if there's a place to do so. I also would occasionally lean on the counter and take my weight off my feet for just a second, but this was a huge sturdy wooden counter. If you have a bakery case or something that might not be wise.

Plus, compression socks, stretching, comfy shoes, and the tennis ball trick. So, what everyone else said.

Good luck. I hope it works out for you and you aren't in so much pain.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:01 am 
Inflexitarian

Thanks everyone.

Paperweight, I asked if I could use a stool, but I cannot.

In my case, there is a lot of walking around and cleaning around (from the cash register to the various food displays, slicing machine, coffee machine, boxes and bags, sink, dish closet, dining area, kitchen, etc.). I feel like I am walking all the time. The air conditioning doesn't work and those bakery ovens do warm up the place, but that should get better at least!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:42 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I wear crocs for standing at work. Mine are totally enclosed like these http://www.crocs.com/p/crocs-neira-work/11773.html since I work in healthcare and they do get a bit warm/sweaty. There are some options with canvas uppers and more open designs that might work better for a hotter environment while still complying with regulations. They are cheaper than danskos and very comfortable for standing and walking.

I like to wear my crocs with these hiking socks: http://amzn.com/B00DDNPO8Y which are breathable, moisture wicking, temperature regulating and seem to prevent blisters. If it's very hot, short moisture wicking athletic socks might be a bit cooler.