| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Do we need to take Creatine supplements?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:58 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

My omnivore hubby works out (although not religiously) and uses Creatine (rarely) when he does work out. He was reading that vegans don't get Creatine as it is found in red meat and fish and it can affect brain functioning. He is wondering if I should take a Creatine supplement now.

I don't know much about this, but found an article (although I'm not sure it is the greatest) about this topic here.

What do you know about Creatine for vegans and if we need it PPK?

Post subject: Re: Do we need to take Creatine supplements?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:33 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

your body synthesizes creatine from other amino acids that are readily found in a vegan diet. levels in your skeletal muscle will be lower than in your husband's (the body stores it until it needs it), but this doesn't mean you're deficient. unless you have a metabolic deficiency or are interested in serious bodybuilding, i can't see any reason to take a supplement; the workout benefits are minor to moderate, and taking in too much over a long period can be bad for your kidneys.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:57 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

You might want to see Jack Norris' page about creatine here.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:23 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I take it. Search pubmed for studies. You should drink more water when taking it but if you do that, there doesn't seem to be any health risk (assuming you're not taking abnormally large amounts or have existing kidney problems).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:35 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

vegimator wrote:
I take it. Search pubmed for studies. You should drink more water when taking it but if you do that, there doesn't seem to be any health risk (assuming you're not taking abnormally large amounts or have existing kidney problems).

Do you take it because you work out a lot vegimator or because you want it to help with your brain functioning? I don't work out much so IF I did take it, it would be for the latter reason.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:06 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I've been taking it with my morning smoothie for a while. I started taking it because I didn't have much endurance during strength training, and a blood test (which I got for unrelated reasons) showed that my creatinine (a product of creatine breaking down) levels were low. I'm not sure if I've noticed any difference in endurance during my workouts, but about a week after I took it, my short-term memory seemed to have improved. I found myself easily remembering multiple long numbers, which is something that would usually be impossible for me. It's entirely possible it's a coincidence, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:56 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I am thinking about trying creatine out. Has anyone tried it and noticed any differences ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:22 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

i started taking it a couple of months ago, originally for the cognitive enhancement aspects and was pleasantly surprised by the boost in stamina it gives me... and i'm only taking 2.5g daily - most people i've talked to about it say 5g is the "normal" dose but i don't see any advantage to taking more right now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:20 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I take it when I work out (and notice the difference), but part of the reason is because it has been shown to enhance memory in vegetarians. So, win-win.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:08 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I've been thinking about taking it lately as I've been working out harder and I find my memory isn't as sharp as it used to be, but from what I've read, it doesn't sound like something you're supposed to take long term. Although I could very well be wrong about that. For those of you who take it, how much do you take? And did you do a loading stage for the first week of taking it? Also, are all brands of creatine vegan?

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:00 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I saw an interesting talk on creatine deficiency and autism. Not sure I bought it, but it was interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:22 am 
Saggy Butt

I've tried it, but didn't really notice any difference.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:34 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Maggie Muggins wrote:
I've been thinking about taking it lately as I've been working out harder and I find my memory isn't as sharp as it used to be, but from what I've read, it doesn't sound like something you're supposed to take long term. Although I could very well be wrong about that. For those of you who take it, how much do you take? And did you do a loading stage for the first week of taking it? Also, are all brands of creatine vegan?
While I wouldn't be confident to say they all are, the standard way to make it is by chemical reaction in a lab. It's not sucked out of panda bones or anything like that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:52 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Not all brands of creatine are vegan. My friend accidentily bought one that wasn't. If you are interested just check out veganessentials.com to see which brands they sell.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:05 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

the brand I take is Natural Stacks BioCreatine - it's a combination of creatine monohydrate, fenugreek extract and sea salt... the fenugreek and salt are said to help "optimize" absorption.

I checked with them and they assured me the ingredients are "vegan friendly".

starting with a small dose of 1250mg - my Lumosity tests scores showed a substantial improvement with each increase in dosage... at 5000mg I felt way too stimulated - I cannot even imagine taking 10g as I've seen recommended for doing a loading phase. so, my average daily dose for now is 2500mg split between the morning and afternoon M-F.

I can't accurately comment on any physical benefits because I've just started working out about 2 weeks ago. Since I was already using the creatine at that point, I do not have a "baseline" to compare to... but I can confirm that it adds about 5 pounds of water weight to my scale.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:21 am 
Not NOT A Furry

zero33 wrote:
the brand I take is Natural Stacks BioCreatine - it's a combination of creatine monohydrate, fenugreek extract and sea salt... the fenugreek and salt are said to help "optimize" absorption.

I checked with them and they assured me the ingredients are "vegan friendly".

starting with a small dose of 1250mg - my Lumosity tests scores showed a substantial improvement with each increase in dosage... at 5000mg I felt way too stimulated - I cannot even imagine taking 10g as I've seen recommended for doing a loading phase. so, my average daily dose for now is 2500mg split between the morning and afternoon M-F.

I can't accurately comment on any physical benefits because I've just started working out about 2 weeks ago. Since I was already using the creatine at that point, I do not have a "baseline" to compare to... but I can confirm that it adds about 5 pounds of water weight to my scale.

I ordered the brand you recommended. It'll be interesting to see if there are any results - looking for modest physical and mental indicators - and I'll also report back.

-alice1drland

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:10 am 
Baking In The Flavor

fetalexplosion - cool, i hope it works as well for you as it does for me... i suspect my extremely positive initial response was due to a creatine "deficiency". i haven't really researched what "normal" levels should be.