| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thinning hair
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:19 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I went vegan just over a year ago. In the past year I've noticed some changes in my hair but never thought much about it. Now I can see that my hair has thinned quite a bit. I am sort of panicking about it. The top of my head near my part is very thin.

My last blood work showed that my vitamin D and iron were both low - so I have been taking those extra supplements for the past 2 months.

I made an appointment with my doctor at the end of the week, but can anyone please provide some insight or tips before I have a full on panic attack? In addition to the D and iron, I currently take Deva multi vitamin and calcium.

I appreciate any input from those this has happened to.

Post subject: Re: Thinning hair
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:09 pm 
Taco Scientist

Lack of vitamin D and fat in your diet can both be a cause from what I understand. Are you eating enough or stressed out? Both of those factors can cause trouble too. I think if the doctor rules out thyroid problems or an underlying medical cause you should also see a dermatologist and maybe a dietician. In addition to taking a good vitamin supplement for vitamin D maybe add an omega fatty acids supplement or just make sure you get flax, walnuts, chia seeds, or hemp seed/oil every day might help. There is a great book called "Vegan for Life" that is highly recommended for help with getting proper nutrition.

This has been a huge problem for me but I think it's genetic since my sister has the same problem.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:22 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Yeah, I'd say definitely be patient, make sure you're eating enough (there are ways to check your total daily energy expenditure, do that and track your food consumption). My hair thinned when i was thru hiking and couldn't eat enough to keep up with my TDEE.

Also make sure you eat a lot of iron/vitamin d as you've already started to.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:14 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

The low iron and vit D can do that. Make sure you are taking a supplement with more than the usual 15 mg though (100 mg is more like it).

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:02 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

So I saw my doctor today. My plan is to keep up with the extra iron and vitamin d and to come back in a month for more blood work. Last blood work showed thyroid was fine, so she is not worried about that.

She suggested adding biotin to my diet and I also picked up some zinc.

Next step if I don't see any improvements will be to see a dermatologist.

I can't say that I am feeling that much better abou the whole thing. Still in panic mode.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:52 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I was in panic mode, too, when my hair started falling out (thyroid issues). It's difficult to stay calm but you really need to be patient. I just "tried not think about it" because it took a few months for my hair to fully come back.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:44 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

My hair thinned quite a bit when I was very ill, but with a little dietary supplementation (most of which has already been suggested), my thick-thick hair is back in a major way.

Walnuts for the special vitamin E they contain, papaya, avocado, olive oil, almonds, and pecans. I don't know much about hemp / hemp oil, but I'm going to look into that as well. You don't have to go crazy either. Just add a few things to a smoothie or something. Avocado is a surprisingly delicious addition to smoothies, btw.

Oh, and your normal super-green foods are great as well: spinach, broccoli, kale, etc.