| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What was your lowest iron level?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:21 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

mel b wrote:
Yeah, caffeine inhibits iron absorption, but I had no idea herbal teas could do the same thing!

No, not herbal teas. Only tea with actual tea leaves in them. Teas strictly herb-based, like rooibos, should be fine.

I suspect I have my (black) tea habit to thank for my insanely low iron levels. For years I've been drinking it with breakfast and not too long after lunches and dinners. Seriously, I drank tea like some people drink straight up water.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:11 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Epicurvegan wrote:
mel b wrote:
Yeah, caffeine inhibits iron absorption, but I had no idea herbal teas could do the same thing!

No, not herbal teas. Only tea with actual tea leaves in them. Teas strictly herb-based, like rooibos, should be fine.

FYI, Chipmunk linked to a study earlier in this thread, and it included herb "teas" like chamomile and peppermint and found that they inhibited iron absorption.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:30 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

Epicurvegan wrote:
mel b wrote:

I suspect I have my (black) tea habit to thank for my insanely low iron levels. For years I've been drinking it with breakfast and not too long after lunches and dinners. Seriously, I drank tea like some people drink straight up water.

shiitake! I am a total tea nut. I also have low iron. I started taking supplements, but I usually take them after breakfast...with my morning black tea. Suckage.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:00 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Give up tea?! fork that. I'll just have low iron,

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:55 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I have only had low iron once and it was many years ago when I was drinking heavily, not eating properly and barely weighed enough to give blood (I found out I had low iron when I was trying to give blood and they wouldn't let me). Anyway, since I am pregnant my doctor said I should take an iron supplement even though my iron levels were normal (I think she was shocked that a vegan could have normal iron levels even though she is vegetarian). I have been using this one http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&rlz=&q=liquid+iron+supplements&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=7780189641728353163&sa=X&ei=g_qOTYTbC4TAsAOTrrz2CA&ved=0CDUQ8wIwAA#. As long as I drink enough liquids I don't get constipated at all, but I have also never had trouble with constipation. Also since I have been pregnant I have been vegetarian. I am getting my blood tested next week so we will see how it goes!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I've been tired and foggy headed for months, so I just had my blood drawn. My ferritin is at a 5. I eat lots of spinach and figs and cook in a cast iron skillet. I should eat more beans. What else? Am I gonna have to take a supplement? Vegimator, I need you!

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:49 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I'd supplement at least long enough to get your ferritin back up. The RDA is something like 15mg, which is how much was in my multi and clearly wasn't enough to prevent my stores from getting depleted. On top of what I was getting from food. I got prescribed 100mg and that did the trick.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:44 pm 
Saggy Butt

I don't know the specific level, but when I was a toddler my iron got so low that my fingernails fell out and leukemia was suspected. (My parents were not neglectful -- I am just really prone to low iron.)

For the past few years I've been on the border of low iron, but just above it. I haven't had it tested since going vegetarian, then vegan. It's something I always have to watch, so I try to boost absorption (vitamin C with iron-rich foods!) and take supplements to cover my bases.

It's worth noting that B12 deficiency and iron deficiency can have similar symptoms, and B12 deficiency can lead to a type of anemia.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:01 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

kittee wrote:
I've been tired and foggy headed for months, so I just had my blood drawn. My ferritin is at a 5. I eat lots of spinach and figs and cook in a cast iron skillet. I should eat more beans. What else? Am I gonna have to take a supplement? Vegimator, I need you!

xo
kittee

I'm bumping this because my ferratin is at a 5! What did you do to fix it kittee?

I'm going to be taking 200mg of Ferrous Sulphate for 6 weeks, I don't drink caffeine and I know I need to be combining iron rich foods with vit c rich foods and not calcium.

I have Vegan For Her which has a super useful table of iron rich foods next to one of vit c rich foods.

I had a stir fry with broccoli, tofu & peas for dinner and I've been chugging freshly squeezed oj with my iron tablets. I'd love some recommendations for / links to specific iron & vit c rich recipes & the only thing I really don't like is chilli.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:05 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

jojo, you can also take a vitamin c supplement when you're eating something high in iron, that's also supposed to help!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:00 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

You can try snacking on raisins and adding blackstrap molasses to your oatmeal or other hot cereal that's fortified with iron like cream of wheat.

Here's a list from WebMD:
Very good sources of nonheme iron, with 3.5 milligrams or more per serving, include:

Breakfast cereals enriched with iron
One cup of cooked beans
One-half cup of tofu
1 ounce of pumpkin, sesame, or squash seeds
Good sources of nonheme iron, with 2.1 milligrams or more per serving, include:

One-half cup of canned lima beans, red kidney beans, chickpeas, or split peas
One cup of dried apricots
One medium baked potato
One medium stalk of broccoli
One cup of cooked enriched egg noodles
One-fourth cup of wheat germ
Other sources of nonheme iron, with 0.7 milligrams or more, include:

1 ounce of peanuts, pecans, walnuts, pistachios, roasted almonds, roasted cashews, or sunflower seeds
One-half cup of dried seedless raisins, peaches, or prunes
One cup of spinach
One medium green pepper
One cup of pasta
One slice of bread, pumpernickel bagel, or bran muffin
One cup of rice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:40 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Kiddo wrote:
jojo, you can also take a vitamin c supplement when you're eating something high in iron, that's also supposed to help!

Oh, that's a good idea!

ijdi, as well as being a hater of chilli I can't do hot cereals (or even milk with my regular cereal!). Would baked goods with blackstrap molasses be a total waste of time iron wise? Maybe if I make 'em with wheatgerm too?

I've also realised that I've been eating my iron enriched cereal with my calcium enriched yoghurt so that's probably been a nutritional fail!

I'll definitely snack on some raisins & dried apricots and I eat a lot of broccoli and tofu already. I'm gonna start adding beans to everything and I'm excited that a baked potato is on the high iron list, I love a baked potato with baked beans.