| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: PCOS!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:02 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Joyfulgirl, that sounds awful, I'm not an expert but could you get some tranexamic acid, it says to take it on first day but I'm sure I have heard of people taking it after a while of bleeding, but I can't be sure and also don't know if suitable or what it's made of.

It sounds crazy to just wait though, that's a long time and a lot of blood, you poor thing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:54 pm 
Semen Strong

joyfulgirl wrote:
Okay, I've officially had enough. I have had my period since March 21. That's OVER THIRTY DAYS. and it's still super heavy. Like overflowing my diva cup and staining my pants at 8:30 am kind of heavy. It hasn't been like this in years. I went to the gyno last week and she basically told me to wait it out and go to an endocrinologist and then we can see about starting me on metformin. But I'm just about at the end of my tolerance of this shiitake.
Has anyone ever had these super long awful periods? or do you have any advice on how I can cope with life when all I want to do is cry and eat chocolate? can I at least get some hugs?

(((((((HUGS))))))))))) A 30 day period would drive me batty and I'd worry about iron stores etc. Can you call your OB and ask about it? Also, not sure why she can't just Rx you metformin - I think its a pretty standard treatment for PCOS. Also, can you start drinking Vitex (chasteberry) tea? That stuff works wonders for me.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:29 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

Thanks you guys! It's a new doctor that I've been seeing, and I never got an "official" diagnosis.
Longish story: This all went down 2 years ago when I had just gotten accepted for medicaid and before I was eligible for benefits through work, so I had no OB yet and just went to a primary care dr. After seeing my FSH/LH levels, she ordered an ultrasound which showed multiple cysts. She said it looked pretty clear that I had it, but that I should consult with an OB. My insurance at the time covered only one OB within 25 miles, but I hated it there. The NP treated me like an idiot and walked into the room without knocking in those few minutes following her instructions to get undressed. I was completely horrified and too nervous to go through the process of finding someone else until now.
So now I guess this new dr wants to do all the tests over again to see for herself? I don't know why she didn't just ask me to fax over the old files. or why I need to see an endocrinologist. But for now, I'll look for Vitex. Is it available at Whole Foods?
ETA: I searched here and googled it and it looks like it's only available online. Also, after seeing all your (and some others') previous posts about it, I'm about to have that shiitake sent next day delivery.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:49 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

also, does the brand matter? I saw that you linked to Fertilitea in one previous post, but Chaste Tree Berries Tea by Celebration Herbals is way cheaper. I will pay anything to stop this madness in my pants.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:50 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I can't help at all but I can definitely give you hugs, joyful. That sucks!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:17 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Big hugs, joyful. I hope the madness ends soon.

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:26 am 
Keepin' It Seal

okay, I ordered the Fertilitea (can't wait to confuse my housemates when read the package about boosting fertility) but it has been a little lighter these past few days, like a normal lightish flow. I hope this is the beginning of the end.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:45 am 
Semen Strong

I am SO sorry I didn't check this earlier! I have some left I could have given you! I am so sorry. Let me know if you need anything or any other help, and you can try my amazing acupuncturist if you want - seriously she is magic and a former nurse, and just one of the gentlest and kindest people ever. Even just call her and ask (917) 957-0001 She works with a ton of Chinese herbs too.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:48 pm 
Tofu Pup

Let's write some new life into this topic..

I'm new to the ppk forum, but I used to check it regularly for information or just random stuff.

When I was looking for information about PCOS + being vegan + ... I thought I might find something on here and it was a lucky guess apparently :-)! It's really hard to find decent information about being vegan and having PCOS (and not wanting kids)...

So I recently found out that I have PCOS. But I'll start at the beginning. I had my periods quite irregular before I was 17 and then I didn't have them for months. My gynaecologist gave me some pills to induce my period again, which worked, and then I started with bc. I took bc from age 17 until I was 24. And I stopped taking it because I wanted to live a healthier life without meds and because I thought it wasn't really necessary for me to take it anymore (my gyn was okay with me stopping bc + I would've stopped taking it anyway). So I quit at the end of January 2012 and since then I had my period twice (september and november). I did ask my gyn about it, but she said I had nothing to worry about (body adjusting, ...). And in May 2013 I thought it would be a good idea to go earlier to the gyn for a check-up about this, because since november nothing had happened in the period department of my body. Oh, and I go to the gyn every year for a check-up.
She checked my ovaries and saw they were bigger than they're supposed to and some other things... She assumed it was PCOS and took some blood to check the hormone levels.
I wasn't too happy about it, because she didn't give me a lot of information about pcos. She just said I had to take some kind of pill to induce my period again and then I should take bc again (but an adjusted kind for pcos). But I'm reluctant to take bc again and I told her that (because I do feel soooooo much better without it!). I really had to ask about the symptoms and the consequences on the short & long term, 'cause as I said she didn't give me a lot of info. She did say about preganancy that it will be difficult and that the most common treatment is bc for now. And she also said that if I wouldn't take bc I still should take the period inducing pills every couple of months (for 14 days) to clean everything out (to lower the risk for cervical cancer). So I looked it up online.. wasn't too happy with most of the things I found :-/.
After a week she called back with the results form the tests. It's D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y PCOS :-(.
I can't remember the exact names of the male hormone things she tested. But one of them was 98 (and it should be around 48) and the other one was 1.24 (and that one should be 0.5). She was surprised that it was that high! And so was I off course!
Since then I'm struggling to decide what to do. 'Cause I'm afraid to leave it just like this for the consequences... and of the huge amount of male hormones in my not so male body...
The thing is that I don't want children (I'm 25 now and it's something I've been saying for 10 years now. My opinion about this might change in the future or it might not...). And most of the information online is about women trying to get pregnant with pcos. I'm in desperate need of info about women who don't want children and who are vegan and I'm also up for more natural things to try (if they help/might help!)....

Anyone who can help? Or who knows more about it/recognize themselves a bit?

Anyway thanks for reading this though!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:43 pm 
WRETCHED

There is really no magic to whether you want to have kids or not dictating your treatment other than if you wanted to have kids, a medical doctor wouldn't prescribe you birth control pills. If there are any 'natural' remedies that regulate periods, then that would provide similar benefits to birth control pills and other treatments. I've been using birth control pills for 10 years or so and I've had a few misses (bc pills that screwed up with my hormones - I was crying at the drop of a hat).

Exercise helps, eating a diet that controls your blood sugar helps, things that could help diabetics could help as well. I remember my life before bc pills so I'm way too scared to get on them until menopause hits sometime in the next 10 years.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:21 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Today I got a call from my doctor saying my ultrasound results were consistent with PCOS. I'm going in to have blood drawn tomorrow, but I'm kind of scared about this whole thing. I know it isn't a formal diagnosis, but from what I've read, it sounds like me. I'm feeling some weird grief things for some reason. Not sure where I'm at here. Hopefully I'll know more after I see my doctor next week.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:04 pm 

Definitely PCOS. I have to do a two hour glucose test now, and they want me to meet with a geneticist because of family history stuff. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do at this point...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:02 am 

Now I'm at the doctors office doing a 2 hour glucose test...the drink wasn't too awful, just kind of like flat orange soda. The three blood draws are a little insane though...fasting, sugary beverage, and then taking my blood...boy I feel great.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4