| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nair on your face?
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:21 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

So I have a little more fuzz on the ol' upper lip than I would like. It's fine, and just a little on the long side so that it is slightly noticeable in some lights. It is not dark, so I don't think bleach is the way to go. I don't necessarily want to start waxing. Has anyone used Nair/Veet/any other depilatory product on their facial region? Did it work? Any adverse effects? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Nair on your face?
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:24 am 
Kale Wreath

VegeMite wrote:
So I have a little more fuzz on the ol' upper lip than I would like. It's fine, and just a little on the long side so that it is slightly noticeable in some lights. It is not dark, so I don't think bleach is the way to go. I don't necessarily want to start waxing. Has anyone used Nair/Veet/any other depilatory product on their facial region? Did it work? Any adverse effects? Thanks!

I do it because I'm in the same situation (probably not noticeable to other people but I'd rather be safe than sorry) and it doesn't seem worth it to get out the wax/sugaring for such a small area. I use veet and have no problem (it works), but I leave it on for the absolute minimal amount of time or else my skin gets irritated.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:20 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I get some hairs on my jawbone and I tried to Nair them off in high school. I got a really bad chemical burn and red peeling skin for about a week! I have really sensitive skin so I don't know if this is a typical reaction. I think there is a Nair product designed specifically for your face (which I did not try).

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:08 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Tweezers? The old fashioned slightly hurty way to go. Using Nair would have the same effect as using a razor, I would think, so if you want a quick and painless solution do that, but then there's stubble...

https://dropscone.wordpress.com/ - frugal recipes & finds in the UK

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:08 am 
Kale Wreath

I don't find nair/veet to be like a razor. There's no stubble or anything. But if your skin is super-sensitive, go for the face-specific ones.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:41 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I tried this is in middle school once and it caused me to breakout a lot, just on the upper lip area, which I didn't really want to call any more attention to. I vote for tweezers. If you have access to a threading salon, that's what I do now. It pulls them out quickly for smooth skin without breakouts or chemicals.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:44 pm 
Dead by dawn

Have tried it, would never do it again. It made my skin red and dry and peely (which looks worse than fuzz!) and didn't really even work 100%. And that was using a face-specific product. I go to a sugaring salon now... it takes 5 minutes, it doesn't hurt, it doesn't have any negative effects on my skin, and it doesn't cost that much ($15 every 4-5 weeks.) I might try sugaring on my own, but I wouldn't put a chemical depilatory on my skin again.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:59 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Nair tests on animals, if that helps your decision. http://www.peta.org/living/beauty-and-p ... =1&Range=5

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:10 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

don't do it!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:03 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Find a threading video on the net and grab some yarn.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:08 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

You could try razors like these: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/3 ... AA300_.jpg Most beauty supply stores and some drugstores carry them.

I use them on the outer part of my brows, where the hair gets too fine and fuzzy and tweezing gets too tedious.

Last edited by mel c on Tue May 24, 2011 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:21 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

couroupita wrote:
I get some hairs on my jawbone and I tried to Nair them off in high school. I got a really bad chemical burn and red peeling skin for about a week! I have really sensitive skin so I don't know if this is a typical reaction. I think there is a Nair product designed specifically for your face (which I did not try).

ugh - i naired my legs in high school and had the same problem. and it didn't even get the hair out!

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:02 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I use nair or something like it on my upper lip. I use the sensitive face one and leave it on for a very small amount of time and it's fine.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:50 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I've used the Sally's brand before, which is specifically facial hair remover, and it worked fine. But that was before I was vegan, so I can't vouch for the vegan-ness of the product. I have pretty sensitive skin too, and dark, wiry hair. As long as I didn't leave it on longer than the recommended time, there wasn't any redness that didn't fade in minutes. It smelled awful though.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:04 pm 

In the Afro-American section of the beauty supply store, or Walmart, there's facial hair removal powder that you mix with water to form a paste and apply. I've been told that this is how men in maximum security prisons shave, instead of given razors. Anyway, something like this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EG ... 7ABHNB2JYP

Oh, it's also used on bikini areas too. So I've heard.

Oh, don't know about how vegan it is but you can ask them.
http://www.palmers.com/about/about_faq. ... No%20Blade

On the side of one of my Palmer's products it states that Palmer's is against animal testing.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:15 pm 

Do you test your products on animals?
Palmer's is a "cruelty-free" company and does NOT conduct product tests on animals.

http://www.palmers.com/about/about_faq.php?MENU_ID=5

You can find Palmer's in any Walmart or Sally's.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:59 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

[quote="Peri"]In the Afro-American section of the beauty supply store, or Walmart, there's facial hair removal powder that you mix with water to form a paste and apply. I've been told that this is how men in maximum security prisons shave, instead of given razors. Anyway, something like this

I use this! It's called Magic Shaving powder. I think I started using it based on a recommendation from a fellow ppker. I would recommend the gold colored can, it's for sensitive skin. I found the original strength to be a bit too harsh on the facial area and would burn me but i have sensitive skin so that's probably why i should have gotten the sensitive formula in the first place but anyway I use it on my upper lip and sideburn area and it works well. Just be sure to keep the area moist after you apply it...i use a spray bottle filled with water to mist my face every minute or so to keep the paste moist.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:33 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Peri wrote:
Do you test your products on animals?
Palmer's is a "cruelty-free" company and does NOT conduct product tests on animals.

http://www.palmers.com/about/about_faq.php?MENU_ID=5

You can find Palmer's in any Walmart or Sally's.

That doesn't necessarily mean they're vegan, their ingredients could be tested before the finished product is made or contain animal ingredients. They told me their cocoa butter isn't suitable for vegans.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:48 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

i've been tweezing my chin for at least a decade. recently i've been getting a lot more ingrown hairs than i can stand, so last week, i bought a groupon for laser hair removal. $99 for 3 sessions. it's a lot, but i think it'll be worth it.
(i have to stop twewzing for 3 weeks before i can have my session, and i can't imagine being a guy who has stubble all the time. it's so awkward.)

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i tweeze. it doesn't take too long, and i don't get ingrowns. easy and natural (if you don't get ingrowns. otherwise it's a pain!)

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:13 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

supercarrot wrote:
i've been tweezing my chin for at least a decade. recently i've been getting a lot more ingrown hairs than i can stand, so last week, i bought a groupon for laser hair removal. $99 for 3 sessions. it's a lot, but i think it'll be worth it.
(i have to stop twewzing for 3 weeks before i can have my session, and i can't imagine being a guy who has stubble all the time. it's so awkward.)

I would love to do this but I have to tweeze my chin hair like everyday. It's sooo embarassing. I dont think I could go 3 weeks.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:23 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

RatsRGods wrote:
supercarrot wrote:

I would love to do this but I have to tweeze my chin hair like everyday. It's sooo embarassing. I dont think I could go 3 weeks.

You can keep it down with a little foil shaver until a day or so before your laser date and trim it with it again after your appointment.

Also, probably not vegan at all but I've never seen a vegan alternative http://www.vaniqa.com/

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 3:36 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Has anyone tried Moom? It's organic and I've heard that it's suitable for vegans.

http://www.moom.com/

I'm thinking of getting it for my bikini line.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:34 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I use moom on my legs all the time. It's good stuff and the kit comes with small reusable face strips.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:08 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I used Nair on my legs a few times as a kid when my mom thought I couldn't handle a razor yet or something. That shiitake burned the crepe out of my legs. It was awful. I can't imagine putting it on my face!

I just shave my upper lip. Kinda makes me feel like a dude sometimes, but whatever. It works.