| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is there a name for that?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:20 am 
Joking!

Maybe this can just be a general thread for things that may or may not be wrong with us?

I'm particularly wondering about the somewhat, kinda, extreme aggrivation that I experience whenever I'm around eating noises, specifically either loud eating, or open mouth chewing, crunching, squishy sounds, slurping, and I even get to the point when there are no other sounds to distract me (i.e. in a quiet home or work place, especially if no one is talking, not in a restaurant) that the silverware and dish sounds are annoying. I mean, it's ridiculous how much these sounds annoy me and make me angry. Like right now, my boyfriend is eating salad in the other room and I can hear it and it's making me furious. Is it some kind of disorder or am I just a bisque? I most likely have A.D.D. I have classic symptoms to the extreme and always have, but have never been medicated or officially diagnosed on record. I heard that it might be something that people with A.D.D. are affected with. Anyone hear of this being associated with anything?

Post subject: Re: Is there a name for that?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:17 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I've never heard of it being a disorder, but it aggravates me as well. Go to an Italian restaurant? Hell, no. Being stuck in a room with 40 people eating spaghetti is my idea of hell. And the sound of someone scraping their plate with their cutlery makes me want to go on a rampage.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:07 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

My first thought, before I finished reading, was something ADD-related. Sensory defensiveness is the term you're probably after. I get unsreasonably irritated by the sound of someone else typing, i.e. doing their job, and people accidentally touching me in crowds.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:53 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I get annoyed by those kinds of noises too, but maybe not to the extent that you do. I will admit I had to leave my room the other day when my client was eating breakfast, because no matter how often I tell him, he noisily chews with his mouth open, and I couldn't bear to sit across the table from him.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:32 am 
Chip Strong

I get mad at other people's body language, like when people are really fidgety on public transportation.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:14 pm 
Saggy Butt

I'm the same way. I'm very easily annoyed by people's noises, like loud breathing, sniffing (especially when I'm taking a test), throat clearing, swallowing. I used to be really annoyed by eating noises and I can't stand eating around my dad because whenever he drinks something he opens his eyes really wide like he's seeing a horror movie or something, but luckily now I just eat alone in my room so none of it can bother me. I also can't stand the sound of dishes clanging, mostly because it seems like my dad makes as much noise possible while doing it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:42 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Do you think its some sort of eating disorder related thing?
I can't deal with huffing-even just deep breaths send me over the edge now. I want to scream "Stop being passive agressive and just say it!"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:45 pm 

It's probably a sensory processing thing, not related to eating disorders. The guy at the desk next to me has recently started eating very crunchy cookies at his desk all the time. Listening to music without lyrics works for me most of the time. It cuts down on the amount of unwanted noise information I'm bombarded with.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:05 pm 
Joking!

I wish I could listen to music at my new client's, holy forking slurping and squishy chewing and tongue smacking, fuuuuck. They're already annoying as it is and then I have to deal with that. My friend that I lived with for a while ate really loudly with their mouth open and sounded like they were chewing with their tongue, I said something a few times, but didn't want to press it, I mean it's my problem not his and plus I was living there for free on top of it, so when he'd start eating I would either put headphones on or I'd have to leave the house and go for a walk. My boyfriend thinks I'm just being a bisque and I tell him it's not a problem with him and I can't help the way it makes me react, I try to, but haven't been able to so if it really bothers me I remove myself and go in the room and close the door. It peas him off even more than the sounds peas me off. I've tried to explain to him that it's probably part of a disorder. He doesn't even believe me, thinks I'm just coming up with excuses for acting like a bisque.

I said before that I most definitely have ADD, and that while I was researching it people had mentioned it being an issue, mostly mothers writing about their children with ADD. I also was talking to my friend, she just started working as a therapist for kids with sensory and other brain function type disorders. We were at a club/bar on the balcony and she asked if I wanted to go back inside to watch the band more and it started this whole conversation about how I can't handle being in really loud spaces like a loud bar (like we were at), that I get really frustrated and overwhelmed, overwhelmed by the noise, but also if we are in a situation like at a bar where people want to talk I get frustrated because I can't separate the person's voice that I'm talking to and the rest of the noise, it all just turns into one big noise kind of. She said that that's actually some kind of sensory thing, not being able to distinguish noises from each other in those types of situations.

ETA: OOOOh, there's a peas filter for p-i-s-s-e-s. ha.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:34 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I would say a sensory integration disorder.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:16 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I have these issues too. It can be very severe, actually. But no medical type person has cared.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:19 pm 
Dildo Queen

panda, i feel you. it drives me forking nuts. crunching, slurping, oh goddd i hate listening to people eat/chew. any sounds coming from or having to do with the mouth. my dad does this thing when he's talking, he takes a breath but like sucks in air through his teeth or something and it's really forking irritating and drives me crazy, also, hearing people chew gum oh my godddddd kill kill kill

like i feel my body get prickly it annoys me so much

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:32 am 
Saggy Butt

Misophonia maybe? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misophonia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:55 am 

panda wrote:
We were at a club/bar on the balcony and she asked if I wanted to go back inside to watch the band more and it started this whole conversation about how I can't handle being in really loud spaces like a loud bar (like we were at), that I get really frustrated and overwhelmed, overwhelmed by the noise, but also if we are in a situation like at a bar where people want to talk I get frustrated because I can't separate the person's voice that I'm talking to and the rest of the noise, it all just turns into one big noise kind of. She said that that's actually some kind of sensory thing, not being able to distinguish noises from each other in those types of situations.

I know what you mean. It takes a lot of effort to follow a simple conversation when there's lots of noise in the background. I was talking to someone in a cafeteria the other weak and I could have sworn that the espresso machine on the other side of the room was louder than their voice.

This is tangentially related but sort of interesting, since it implies ADD kids had more trouble with a combination of low salience distractors and easier tasks:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20096409

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:54 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Some people are just "highly sensitive," and get bothered by things that other people might not mind (or notice).

Being bothered by mouth noises seems like a pretty common thing, though. I can't stand to listen to people eating. It doesn't help that I'm married to a man who can eat anything loudly.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:05 pm 
Chard Martyr

rabidchild wrote:
I would say a sensory integration disorder.

+1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

panda wrote:
it started this whole conversation about how I can't handle being in really loud spaces like a loud bar (like we were at), that I get really frustrated and overwhelmed, overwhelmed by the noise, but also if we are in a situation like at a bar where people want to talk I get frustrated because I can't separate the person's voice that I'm talking to and the rest of the noise, it all just turns into one big noise kind of. She said that that's actually some kind of sensory thing, not being able to distinguish noises from each other in those types of situations.

i get that too. and when i'm at loud concerts, at least one of my ears reverberates and has a second batch of notes being echoed at a few notes above what is actually being performed. (worse in some venues than at others) even when they're just speaking, i have a hard time distinguishing the words. (i just attributed it to needing to get my ears cleaned out at the doctor's office. i've never had it done, so i'm sure it might help. my ears clog up often.)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:17 am 
Saggy Butt

there's an article in this month's marie claire about HSP - highly sensitive persons. it's very affirming, most of it sounds exactly like me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:12 am 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

mendelian wrote:
And the sound of someone scraping their plate with their cutlery makes me want to go on a rampage.

This. It gives me chills and I clench my teeth .After that I want to stab them with the fork they are eating with.

Lixa wrote:
I get mad at other people's body language, like when people are really fidgety on public transportation.

This too. It annoys the shiitake out of me but it also makes me nervous, especially on the green and orange lines in boston, there are some sketchy people and I always start wondering if they are tweaking, about to attack someone or any other number of random things.

I also have a hard time carrying on conversations when there are people next to me talking. I can only focus on what they are saying, not me or the person I am talking to.

And when I am trying to read or watch tv, I need absolute silence around me otherwise I get all pissy and can't focus.

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:11 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I get so incredibly full of rage when from the sounds of people eating loudly. It is so, so, so obnoxious. I never thought more about it than that, I don't think it's any type of disorder.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:52 pm 
Santa is a WELFARIST!

My partner thinks its somehow cool when we play music to just let his guitar feedback for minutes between songs....SO GRATING!!!!! Mute that shiitake! It's like each second that passes with it going on, the rage and unbearable-ness multiplies exponentially. AAAAAAAAAGHHHH Just thinking about how high pitched and squealy loud it is makes me angry.

Also, silverware on plates sounds are the worst. Especially in a context in which it would be rude or inappropriate so say something about it. Must...bottle up...rage....just...act...normal...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:53 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I also get very annoyed by people's food noises. I used cry over it when I was younger
Also, any sounds that repeat over and over like a dripping faucet or an alarm.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:48 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

supercarrot wrote:
panda wrote:
it started this whole conversation about how I can't handle being in really loud spaces like a loud bar (like we were at), that I get really frustrated and overwhelmed, overwhelmed by the noise, but also if we are in a situation like at a bar where people want to talk I get frustrated because I can't separate the person's voice that I'm talking to and the rest of the noise, it all just turns into one big noise kind of. She said that that's actually some kind of sensory thing, not being able to distinguish noises from each other in those types of situations.

i get that too. and when i'm at loud concerts, at least one of my ears reverberates and has a second batch of notes being echoed at a few notes above what is actually being performed. (worse in some venues than at others) even when they're just speaking, i have a hard time distinguishing the words. (i just attributed it to needing to get my ears cleaned out at the doctor's office. i've never had it done, so i'm sure it might help. my ears clog up often.)

I have a really hard time hearing conversation at a bar or restaurant with loud background noise because of slight auditory neuropathy (my hearing is generally fine, but in high-background-noise situations some wires get crossed on the way from my ears to my brain). That could be part of what you guys are experiencing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:10 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

hilalbright wrote:
I also get very annoyed by people's food noises. I used cry over it when I was younger
Also, any sounds that repeat over and over like a dripping faucet or an alarm.

I have this too, I can't imagine how I would have survived in an era before digital clocks. That ticking sound, even if it's barely audible, is all I can focus on when I hear it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:54 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

My brother is currently eating potato chips with his mouth open and sniffling. It's making me feel so irrationally angry.

I guess I have a Twitter now

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next