| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: No one's resurrected a DivaCup thread, yet?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:35 pm 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

mine also leaks often enough and it's, i guess, 4 years old? i'm thinking of a ladycup or whatever, based on hearsay that it's less leak-prone.

i've found that i can reduce the leakiness by making sure that it's really sealed and not just opened and in place. quite often, my cup will migrate north; this is when catastrophic bloodletting occurs. if, when i put it in, i let it open and then pop the seal and position it so it slowly settles, ensuring that when i turn it there is some resistance (i.e. it doesn't just swirl around like a top when i spin it), it leaks less.

still, even with those steps, i get enough leakage that i'm never 100% comfortable. especially since my strange & violent pads have managed to disappear, piece by piece, when i've done my laundry and i'm too cheap/forgetful/obstinate to buy liners. i do know that i will NEVER go back to tampons and i'm not interested, at this point in my life, in being pad-dependent. thus the hunt for a new cup style...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:55 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

i think i'm going to try a diff brand too calc. so many decisions!!

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:02 pm 

too many decisions!!

meluna, moon cup, lady cup, keeper, lunette! ARGH!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:04 pm 

$9.56 for a moon cup on amazon? http://www.amazon.com/The-Moon-Cup-Size ... 991&sr=1-2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:56 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

My dog just tried to eat my menstrual cup. I wish I was joking.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:04 pm 

yesterday, i came to the beach and immediately saw two stingrays, mama and baby, swimming super close to the shore. it was amazing.

sure enough, an hour later, my cup ranneth over, marring what was panning out to be a PERFECT DAY.

i'm gonna bite the bullet on a lady cup*, i think.

*don't ANY of them not have embarrassing names?!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:50 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Really though. I kinda want one that's just called "menstrual cup"

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:26 am 

yeah. i was being really!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:35 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I couldn't find my diva cup, so I had to go out and buy another one. This is the only way for my original cup to reappear.

Jebus, I forgot how annoying the tail bit was.... 4 hours of torment.

Once I spin mine a couple of times I no longer have issues with leaking or anything.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:43 pm 

I'm still considering buying a 2nd one that isn't a Diva but I'm not sure which one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:58 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

mooncup UK!

(i just can't help myself. after my diva experience, the mooncup UK was like a unicorn riding a rainbow into my life.)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:37 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Dropped my Divacup in the toilet yesterday. Time to buy a new one, already. Sigh.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:32 am 

i'm sure i've dropped mine before. that's not something that would make me need a new one!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:11 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

BOIL IT!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:02 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

yep, boil it!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:55 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm too much of a wuss...I know, logically, that boiling it would have killed any harmful bacteria on it. Psychologically, I don't think I can handle every insertion knowing that the thing was dropped into the toilet amidst a cloud of pee and uterine lining. Just. Can't. Do. It.

The cup was leaking, anyway--either I need the bigger size or other cups just work better.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:04 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I have a keeper. I've had it for a year and a half and have used it every cycle since then. I'm 31 and have the smaller size. My periods aren't light, but aren't really heavy, except for the second day. It has basically leaked a little bit the whole time I've had it, mostly only on the heaviest day (tampons never leaked for me, so I don't think I'm exceptionally heavy). I use cloth pads for that and it doesn't bother me too much, but I'd love to have no leakage! I'm going to try a better insertion method, I don't really feel much suction. Maybe it's too small? Or maybe I'm not inserting it high enough? I think it can be a little uncomfortable taking it out, mine often seems to pop partway open on the way out. I also never trimmed the stem and if it's not in far enough, it's pokey, but not really a big deal if I adjust it.

Despite all that, I'm a big, big fan, though, mainly because I no longer create mounds of waste (tampons or pads) every month. I can't imagine using disposable menstrual products again. I also love saving money, not having to worry about carrying extra tampons around with me, or remembering to reup on supplies. Also, my periods have changed since using a cup, they've gotten shorter! Really only 3 days now, which is wonderful. As for cleaning, I just rinse mine off with hot water. I don't even use soap and I've never boiled it. It doesn't have an odor and seems fine. The keeper is a brown rubbery color, though, so I probably wouldn't be able to see stains like you can on a lighter color. I should probably do a better cleaning sometime soon if I want it to last a long time, but honestly, I think I'd kind of like to try a different brand to see if I can find one that doesn't leak.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:14 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

My parents returned the unused cup that we bought. They have made no effort to set up a gyno appointment to ask about the cup. I don't think they are going to do it.

At this point, even though it might be wrong, I'm hoarding money so that I can buy the cup in secret the next time I stop in at Whole Foods.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:19 pm 

bluedawg wrote:
mooncup UK!

(i just can't help myself. after my diva experience, the mooncup UK was like a unicorn riding a rainbow into my life.)

I don't think I'd recommend those to anyone with heavy periods, since they have relatively low capacities. I didn't know what I was doing when I got the small one (because I didn't know I was loosing an abnormal amount of blood...oops).

And yeah, I can never manage to get either of my cups entirely leak-free. They always migrate north into cervix territory and cause slight spotting.

Niev wrote:
My parents returned the unused cup that we bought. They have made no effort to set up a gyno appointment to ask about the cup. I don't think they are going to do it.

At this point, even though it might be wrong, I'm hoarding money so that I can buy the cup in secret the next time I stop in at Whole Foods.

I think your parents are the ones out of line here, even if they may mean well. I moved out a long time ago, but when I ordered a cup, my mother asked why I didn't get her one too. Maybe go to pubmed.gov, run a search on "menstrual cup", and show them some of the literature.

This is quite recent: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21673197

Quote:
Objective To determine whether menstrual cups are a viable alternative to tampons. Design Randomized controlled trial. Setting Prince George, Victoria, and Vancouver, BC. Participants A total of 110 women aged 19 to 40 years who had previously used tampons as their main method of menstrual management. Intervention Participants were randomized into 2 groups, a tampon group and a menstrual cup group. Using online diaries, participants tracked 1 menstrual cycle using their regular method and 3 menstrual cycles using the method of their allocated group. Main outcome measures Overall satisfaction; secondary outcomes included discomfort, urovaginal infection, cost, and waste. Results Forty-seven women in each group completed the final survey, 5 of whom were subsequently excluded from analysis (3 from the tampon group and 2 from the menstrual cup group). Overall satisfaction on a 7-point Likert scale was higher for the menstrual cup group than for the tampon group (mean [standard deviation] score 5.4 [1.5] vs 5.0 [1.0], respectively; P = .04). Approximately 91% of women in the menstrual cup group said they would continue to use the cup and recommend it to others. Women used a median of 13 menstrual products per cycle, or 169 products per year, which corresponds to approximately 771 248 400 products used annually in Canada. Estimated cost for tampon use was $37.44 a year (similar to the retail cost of 1 menstrual cup). Subjective vaginal discomfort was initially higher in the menstrual cup group, but the discomfort decreased with continued use. There was no significant difference in physician-diagnosed urovaginal symptoms between the 2 groups. Conclusion Both of the menstrual management methods evaluated were well tolerated by subjects. Menstrual cups are a satisfactory alternative to tampons and have the potential to be a sustainable solution to menstrual management, with moderate cost savings and much-reduced environmental effects compared with tampons. Trial registration number C06-0478 (ClinicalTrials.gov).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:41 pm 

Chipmunk wrote:
Niev wrote:

I think your parents are the ones out of line here, even if they may mean well. I moved out a long time ago, but when I ordered a cup, my mother asked why I didn't get her one too. Maybe go to pubmed.gov, run a search on "menstrual cup", and show them some of the literature.

This is quite recent: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21673197

Thanks, that's a helpful article. I don't know how much it'll convince my parents, but I might show it to them.

My cycle started today and I used the last uncomfortable tampon I had. I snuck some money with me to go to WFs, but I actually didn't have enough money and they were out of my size. I asked my dad to go to CVS, because I thought maybe they'd have it there. I said I needed face wash (I really did), but I found a disposable menstrual cup. I'm using it now and it is infinitely more comfortable than a tampon. I can't wait to get the diva when they have my size now.

Has anyone used the disposable menstrual cups before? The insertion on these is really easy and I was wondering to how it compared to the diva. Also, the box basically said to insert and it will "fit you personally", but I'm not entirely sure if it "sealed", since it gave no indication as to how one would know.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:34 am 

This morning when I went to the bathroom, my underwear showed no signs of leaking, but when I peed, blood gushed out. So, despite making sure it was past my cervix and pressed up, I don't think it sealed right.

I could really use some advice.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:05 am 

i use those before i got a DC. kind of like menstrual cup training wheels!

i'll be honest, i don't remember having any leakage issues with them. what's the brand name? i think i used instead, but they stopped manufacturing them, if i recall correctly.

i'd recommend googling the name + leak(age) and see if anyone has posted about their experiences online. but that's my first course of action always. if it's only unsealing when you pee, though, it sounds like you're good to go!

i'm glad you're taking matters into your own hands, but wish you could get your parents onboard. have you asked again if you can make an appointment to see a GYN? or can you call a local PP or something and request info?

good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:54 pm 

calcuhater wrote:

i'm glad you're taking matters into your own hands, but wish you could get your parents onboard. have you asked again if you can make an appointment to see a GYN? or can you call a local PP or something and request info?

good luck!

I use instead. They're still manufactured, but I've heard that they have a new design (I got the old one, I think). I've figured that the leakage when going to the bathroom is fairly normal, if annoying. Taking it out is kind of a problem, but I think I've got it mastered.

Earlier yesterday, I confronted my mother and told her I'd just call PP, and she actually said that for her it's less of an issue of safety, and more that it scares her, looks uncomfortable, and doesn't understand how it will fit. I asked again, and my cousin (39, very liberal) from Puerto Rico is visiting and was upset at my mother not having a gyno for me already. She promised that she'd make my mother call on Monday. Then, she accused my mother of being like our abuela and said something about virginity, which I didn't understand until I talked to my father.

I told my father that it was PP approved, and that PP is a legitimate source of healthcare. He seemed a bit more at ease at that thought, but still didn't want to talk about it. Then, he said that my mother said that the cup was too large and wouldn't fit. I said that's ridiculous. Then, he said, "Besides, if you use that, you won't be a virgin anymore." I have never been more shocked in my life. My parents are very Catholic and my father went to a Catholic school, complete with nuns, but I can't believe he said that. I'm starting to believe that's the real reason for their reluctance.

I was so shocked that the only thing that I said was, "That's so medieval!" and he was said, "Medieval?". I said, "Virginity isn't even real, it's just a concept that was made-up to repress women", to which he said, "I know." And that interaction is why I'm so very confused with how I feel about virginity.

He said we'd talk about it later (he was on his way to work), but I was so shocked I couldn't even tell him that the only way for someone to not be a virgin is to have sex. My father is the most liberal person on his side of the family, so I just didn't expect it, but I really should have. At least, he actually is concerned about the safety as well.

I think my dad is starting to break down on it a little bit. My mother is still making it all about her.

/endrant.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:03 pm 

oh, WOW. i'm glad that you had that little breakthrough with your dad. and that your cousin is there to help you work on convincing your mom.

it is kind of a hard concept for lots of people to understand. if you're calm and informed and can provide them with lots of information about safety and stuff, it seems like you have a good chance of bring them around to the enlightened side. again, GOOD LUCK!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:13 pm 
WRETCHED

Niev, I understand. My not-so-conservative but (non practicing) Catholic raised mom thought tampons were evil. I didn't try tampons until I was in my mid 20s. The diva cup is awesome though and environmentally friendly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next