| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: No one's resurrected a DivaCup thread, yet?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:16 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Veglicious wrote:
How long it lasts: I have a Lady Cup but I've read that they all last for years, which is why they are so economical. Obviously you should get a new one if you give birth vaginally or turn 35 because they recommend a different size.

Well, I'd say you should get a new one if you find yours isn't doing its job or feels too small/big. Some women may give birth and be fine to use their old one. And I imagine most women don't turn 35 one day and then all of a sudden their cup falls out...

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:48 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

j-dub wrote:
Veglicious wrote:
How long it lasts: I have a Lady Cup but I've read that they all last for years, which is why they are so economical. Obviously you should get a new one if you give birth vaginally or turn 35 because they recommend a different size.

Well, I'd say you should get a new one if you find yours isn't doing its job or feels too small/big. Some women may give birth and be fine to use their old one. And I imagine most women don't turn 35 one day and then all of a sudden their cup falls out...

Yeah, I disobeyed the DivaCup rules and bought size 1, even though I'm thirty. It's working just fine.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:58 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

waxwolf wrote:
I <3 my Diva Cup. This is where it lives:

(Ah knitted it!)

cuuute!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:15 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

tinglepants! wrote:
j-dub wrote:
Veglicious wrote:

Yeah, I disobeyed the DivaCup rules and bought size 1, even though I'm thirty. It's working just fine.

The larger size was way too big for me after my first birth.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:23 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Thank you PPK for introducing me to the cup. The ppk has changed my life in many ways and my little cup'o'blood has been one of the best. I love that I haven't had to buy or dispose of "sanitary" products for almost three years now. I can never go back, never.

baszilla.tumblr.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:20 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

baszilla wrote:
Thank you PPK for introducing me to the cup. The ppk has changed my life in many ways and my little cup'o'blood has been one of the best. I love that I haven't had to buy or dispose of "sanitary" products for almost three years now. I can never go back, never.

Yes! PPK introduced me too. Well, I'd seen stickers around for the Moon Cup at uni but I didn't really think much of it.

You know your body better than anyone so I guess you should gauge when you need a new one.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:26 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i really want to use a divacup, but i am sort of wary of inserting strange things into my vagina. i've given birth vaginally, but i've always used pads. i didn't like tampons since they felt too dry-ish texture-wise, and also sort of uncomfortable. maybe i will suck it up and get one? they seem so big though!! the only times i've used tampons, i use the teeny little ob ones. divacups seem monstrously large in comparison...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:46 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

appifanie wrote:
Rubella wrote:
I'm excited to finally be able to join in one of these threads! This girl at work convinced me to buy one after everything moved around and I couldn't find the tampons. I'm still getting used to it a bit but overall I like it a lot! I haven't boiled mine yet (I've used it for 2 cycles) because I don't have an extra pot and don't really want to use the one I cook food in for it. Couldn't I theoretically dump a kettle full of boiling water into my bathroom sink while it's plugged?

I bought mine it's own special pot at the used stuff store for like $1 and I've only boiled it a few times in the one year plus. Generally I just wash it in soap and water.

I have a small saucepan from Ikea, I boil it at the end of my period. During my period I was it with hot water and soap.

Also I have a LadyCup and it was such a good idea to start using one and ditch tampons. I also made some cloth pads.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:52 am 
Tofu Pup

My DivaCup is the best thing that ever happened to my period. It's like I only have my period for the 5 total minutes a day I spend changing it. Greatness.

Side-note, I lost my first one a couple months ago. I'm really excited to see where it turns up, and more excited for my male roommate to freak out when he finds it (please, please let it be him). Is that wrong?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:32 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I'm wondering why the Diva Cup is so expensive in California (saw it for $33 earlier today) or maybe in the U.S. in general? In Canada, where I just moved from, you could get a DC for $15!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:33 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

bodhi wrote:
i really want to use a divacup, but i am sort of wary of inserting strange things into my vagina. i've given birth vaginally, but i've always used pads. i didn't like tampons since they felt too dry-ish texture-wise, and also sort of uncomfortable. maybe i will suck it up and get one? they seem so big though!! the only times i've used tampons, i use the teeny little ob ones. divacups seem monstrously large in comparison...

The cups are really good if you have a problem with the dry-texture of tampons, they let your natural lubrication stay put. I was a bit wary of the size too but you really can't feel it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:46 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Regarding hydrogen peroxide and DivaCups:

Yes, the directions say to not use hydrogen peroxide. BUT. I have had my mine for five years, and when it's not in my goldmine, it's sitting in a 50/50 solution of hydrogen peroxide and water. And it works and looks the same as it did the day I got it. Clean your menstrual cup whatever way you want to, but I am not buying that peroxide will damage it in any real way.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:57 am 
Keepin' It Seal

Yeah, I don't listen to any of their rules anymore. Not since they started saying you have to replace the cup every year and only clean it with divawash. I have used hydrogen peroxide and I have also used rubbing alcohol. Both worked well and neither affected the cup at all.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:29 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I love my diva cup because it can stay in longer than a tampon. I work construction, and a porta potty that's crawling with bugs and covered in pee is not the most sanitary place for tampon changes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:15 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I have a LadyCup now, which replaced my DivaCup. I like it far better because it's squishier and easier to use. And colorful!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:27 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I love love love my MoonCup. I've had it for 3 years now and it's the best thing ever. I swear my cramps have diminished ever since I started using it. I'm thinking of giving one to my sister for Christmas, but I wonder if that would be embarassing? Under the tree, in front of mum... mmm. Maybe if I get one of those lovely crotcheted bags, it might be nicer.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:53 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

I just got a brand new turquoise LadyCup. I was using a small purple one, which I still have as a backup, but my IUD has me bleeding more heavily, so I upgraded to the large LadyCup. I had been having trouble with leaks, but with the greater cup capacity, I no longer do. Nice to not be worrying about leaking anymore, and the turquoise color is so pretty!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:44 am 
Married to the wolfman

Veglicious wrote:
bodhi wrote:

The cups are really good if you have a problem with the dry-texture of tampons, they let your natural lubrication stay put. I was a bit wary of the size too but you really can't feel it.

+1 to this. I've always been a pad user and not a tampon user because my tampon woes went like this: if I used an absorbency that actually absorbed enough blood that I wasn't creating crime scenes left and right, the tampon felt weird and dry and uncomfortable. Lower absorbency tampons still felt kinda unpleasant, AND I'd need to wear a pad with them anyway. So, why bother?

This is a big part of why I waited so long to try the DivaCup, and now I feel a bit of remorse because the cup is superior to all other forms of menstrual collection.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:25 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I've been using the Keeper, and then the Diva cup, for at least 17 years, and it's been great but in this past year things have not been going well. I've been getting random breaches, even when I'm sitting down, even when it's not full. I just bought some organic tampons and damn was the cost hard to swallow!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:05 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

casserolesncakeholes wrote:
in this past year things have not been going well. I've been getting random breaches, even when I'm sitting down, even when it's not full.

YES.

I've been using a DivaCup for about 5 years and it's been pretty great, until this past year. I had a cup and accidentally let it sit in bleach for too long (d u h) and it pretty much disintegrated. So I got a new one. And it wouldn't work. I assumed that it was the cup and emailed the Diva people, who were really great. I had planned to send it to them for inspection, but bought another cup before I got around to it, and the same thing happened. Basically, I can't get it to suction. No matter what - no matter which insertion method I use or if I tilt it toward my lower back, or if I shove it up as far as it'll go or if I leave it hanging low, or if I turn it a few times... no matter what - it leaks constantly during the first two or three days.

It just doesn't make sense that my older one was fine and these two new ones aren't. The company says they hadn't changed the material or shape or anything in the new models I bought, and I'm not sure why my vagina would all of a sudden turn on me. It's not like I lost muscle tone during the month or two before buying the replacement cup.

I want so badly for the cup to work and to stop relying on back-up cloth pads.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:21 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I love my Diva Cup, but I get leaking on the first day or so. I'm not sure why as it works beautifully after that. It's nothing major, so I just wear black underwear during my period. I wore tampons before, but now when caught without my cup, I choose a pad. Tampons kind of gross me out now, which I'm sure is strange to my friends who think menstrual cups are super weird and gross.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:35 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Has anyone gotten/heard any advice about using the DivaCup with an IUD? Any problems/shifting/warnings?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:22 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

punky! wrote:
Has anyone gotten/heard any advice about using the DivaCup with an IUD? Any problems/shifting/warnings?

My doctor said it was fine. I think, from what I've read online, that some women's doctors tell them not to use it.

I think that the Diva Cup package says not to use it with an IUD, but since they also say that you have to replace it every year, it's hard to say whether they're just trying to cover their asparagus or if there is a real risk.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:00 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I have a new soaking cup for my diva-it's glow in the dark. : D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:31 pm 
Ninja Master

I think I'm going to have to stop using mine. After 2/3 days of having to change it every 1-2 hours when I'm really heavy, I am so sore down there and it then makes me irritated for about a week. It's horrible. Until the docs finally find something that works in making me lighter, it looks like I'll have to go back to tampons :(

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next